New Career

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunningly beautiful wood. Photos don't do it justice as they seldom pick up the warmth and effervescence or whitebait figure it can have. Sometimes a bit soft though. They built houses, boats and furniture from it back in the day. Can be thousands of years old. Last year, I was cutting logs that were growing when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Story goes a tsunami or massively high winds flattened large forests of these ancient trees tens of thousands of years ago and they lay in peat and swamps, preserved (without actually petrifying to any great extent - it still has it's grain structure intact and is often just like cutting a green log and sometimes it has a tannin stain to it that gives it a dark and brooding mood) and now we dig 'em out and sell em' off to mainly the Chinese as fast as we can get them out of the ground (which is not all that fast if they are monsters - as in 90 cubic metres of lumber from just one log kind of monstrous, although most are not that big).

The only way many NZers can afford furniture or flooring made from Kauri these days is if they are pulling down an old house that was built with it, or are lucky enough to stumble over it in a friends paddock one day and are allowed to dig it out. It's not being felled much as it's protected most places and the really good trees are as scarce as hens teeth. My drying racks are slowly accumulating some. Not enough but as one of my most favourite timbers to work with, i probably couldn't ever get enough of it. Some are picking a long dry summer here in the North of the North Island, so that's the time to get up in a small plane and fly over the usual suspects looking for strips of dead grass - a log buried just below the surface will stop the water getting to the grass above it and/or the roots of the grass getting to sustainable depths so the grass dries off. It's quite a defined demarcation. But every canny bugger is doing the same and it's a race that's hard to win.

Ah now I know what your talking about! I saw a video of one being dug up. I remember now that it was Kauri. You are right, very stunning wood! My memory comes and goes. I'm a bit worried since I'm just a yungun haha. I bet the greenies would drop a brick if a standing one were cut, which I doubt any are... Are they still plentiful? I mean new regen coming up? I would love to go to NZ to work. Good lookin country, plus the hunting is pretty darn good:msp_drool: I know a guy from there. Forget where his family farm is. Maybe someday a vacation will be in order.

Yeah, I used to fish a lot. Not anymore.......But I can't talk about it. :laugh:

I still elk hunt, but I have to watch myself. ;)

Andy

Darn those lyin elk hunters anyways! Can't trust em one bit! :wink2:

I'm not so good at the fishing game. It's quite pathetic since I grew up on one of the best steelie streams in WA but hunting is by far my fave. I've been doin more and more elk huntin since High School. Been pickin up trackin from my dad. Nothin compares to bustin brush on elk tracks! Kinda got in my blood early on when the old man took me out as a kid on some tracks. It's way more of a mental challenge for me than fishin... plus I can't sit still lol

You got some nice bulls down your way :clap:

Ah now I know what your talking about! I saw a video of one being dug up. I remember now that it was Kauri. You are right, very stunning wood! My memory comes and goes. I'm a bit worried since I'm just a yungun haha. I bet the greenies would drop a brick if a standing one were cut, which I doubt any are... Are they still plentiful? I mean new regen coming up? I would love to go to NZ to work. Good lookin country, plus the hunting is pretty darn good:msp_drool: I know a guy from there. Forget where his family farm is. Maybe someday a vacation will be in order.
Don't believe a word those tourist brochures and videos say. The hunting is useless down here, the fishing even worse.

Yeah the local mafia known as the department of conservation would probably order a hit on anyone caught dropping a decent Kauri. But between you, me, and the rest of the world, I know someone who's got a few solar powered cheap GPS units way up in some of the trees that are easy to get at from the road and look to be exposed to storm conditions enough that in a good blow when the ground is saturated, they may come down over the road without chainsaw assistance. Of course, you can bet your backside our small, exclusive and dedicated team of midnight volunteers will mobilise and brave storm conditions to clear the road. It's the least we can do for our fellow citizens.

Wait wait you mean you guys aren't dripping with masher red stag all over the place!? :msp_rolleyes: I was told the good hunting was on the North Island or something like that. I know how the misconceptions go about huntin.... or fishing for that matter lol

Haha oh the same thing happens here!!! Some trees just need to be protected from wanton waste :wink2:

Wait wait you mean you guys aren't dripping with masher red stag all over the place!? :msp_rolleyes: I was told the good hunting was on the North Island or something like that. I know how the misconceptions go about huntin.... or fishing for that matter lol

Haha oh the same thing happens here!!! Some trees just need to be protected from wanton waste :wink2:

Yea hunting here has gone to the dogs mate. Sometimes you gotta drive more than a whole hour and walk the same just to get a pig or deer, and with all this hunting 365 days a year with no licence other than a firearms licence it gets confusing as to when to go out ;)

The fishing's all right too I guess. Just moved to the (self-proclaimed) fly-fishing capital of the world, so I'll have to get into that a bit more

Yea hunting here has gone to the dogs mate. Sometimes you gotta drive more than a whole hour and walk the same just to get a pig or deer, and with all this hunting 365 days a year with no licence other than a firearms licence it gets confusing as to when to go out ;)

The fishing's all right too I guess. Just moved to the (self-proclaimed) fly-fishing capital of the world, so I'll have to get into that a bit more

Still better than only 4 weeks and hours and hours of walkin and drivin.... :laugh:

Mods--He's talking off topic. Can you drop his post please?
Hey. I had them almost, maybe, hopefully believing the fishing and hunting wasn't good and you are doing me no favours. This aint the thread for the truth. this is the spinning thread. You are way off topic with that there truth you writeth.

Lumberjacks..... jeeez, I do Lumberjack sports and I don't even like to use that word. Saying lumberjack to a logger is like calling a rancher a farmer or calling a welder an Iron Worker (F the unions)

good on ya. work hard and smart. see how it works around here . question + drift= resolution. ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head there sparky! Still want in?

Lumber jack song - YouTube

That almost made me want to be a lumberjack! My advise is go for it.Age and experience shouldn't deter you.I was in my 40s before I became an international sex symbol(I won't mention which nations ) and I had very little experience in that field. And RandyMac, iPhones are great.I've had mine a week almost,and I like it. I also landed a part time job on a logging crew on my days off the rig. I didn't realize nobody uses chainsaws anymore.

Back