New Carlton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that driving to the factory in South Carolina to pick up a machine may be a substantial saving. I'm also wondering if I would be required to pay the tax on it during purchase; me being from MI. Anyone familiar with this situation?

I bought mine from the factory and I am located in Texas. The sales rep at Carlton arrainged to meet me halfway, as he was headed in my direction anyway. I was planning on driving to the factory to get it, thus saving money on shipping. Either way, it was cheaper than having it shipped.
Not sure about michigan sales tax laws, but you should be able to buy it tax free from the factory. That can be a very big savings. Call the factory sales folks and they can give you details about paying sales tax,(or not paying).
Jeff

I called the carlton factory. The man I spoke to told me that there is a dealer in my state for a reason and if I'm going to try and buy it out of state from a different dealer to avoid any tax, that dealer won't be a carlton dealer for very long. A carlton sales rep I talked to from KY told me him and his buddies buy their 4 wheelers from out of state to avoid sales tax. I can't blame them.

It's in my state, but it's a 5 hour drive - one way. The guy on the phone? As of right now, I don't owe him my loyalty. If I go with Carlton, I'm thinking factory/dealer support won't mean anything. I won't have time for it. My mechanic is the one ill trust to make it right in a timely manner. The dealer/factory support I've gotten from Bandit has been unbelievable. I just wish I liked their stump grinders as much as I like Carlton's.

I understand what you are saying. The Carlton factory has been great about getting parts right out to me, on the few occasions I have needed them. Their factory people have also helped me resolve a few issues I have had over the years. Not having a dealer within 500 or 600 miles has not been an issue for me.
Jeff

Most dealerships have proprietary territories. If you are in a dealers territory then all other dealers are prohibited from selling to you. Unless they don't have what you want or you hate your salesman, then I would guess another dealer could sell to you but with the permission of your local rep. The factor can sell to you if you don't have a local rep.

Most dealerships have proprietary territories. If you are in a dealers territory then all other dealers are prohibited from selling to you. Unless they don't have what you want or you hate your salesman, then I would guess another dealer could sell to you but with the permission of your local rep. The factor can sell to you if you don't have a local rep.
Well, this is not always the way it goes. It depends on the policies of the equipment manufacturer. Yes, most manufacturers will encourage you to buy from your local dealer, and, yes, most manufacturers will encourage dealers not to encroach on another dealer's territory. However, there are many exceptions to these guidlines. If I want to buy a Cat dozer, I can buy it wherever I choose to. The local dealer might not be happy about that, and might put me way on the back burner for service work or parts ordering. However, I can buy it anywhere I want to, and haul it home.
Same goes for most any equipment.
I do recommend supporting your local dealer as much as possible. I was a dealer in commercial lawn equipment at one time and have got the short end of the stick on some deals that went to other dealers. The only way to keep strong local dealers is to support them with your pocketbook.
Jeff

The funny thing is carlton will sell you a machine direct cheaper then you can get it from a local dealer. At least when I was price checking last year.

Carlton factory support is great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I totally agree, but as good as some of this stuff is, I'm not too worried about break downs or dealer support.
I ordered a grinder last week. It is supposed to be shipped on Thursday, to me. The man I dealt with on the phone will never see it. On the phone he assured me he would resolve any issues that might happen. We'll see.

Right now the only man I have absolute faith in is the Bandit sales representative in MI: Larry. He's been incredible when I've had issues. Hopefully if I have Carlton issues, their support impresses me.

It's sounds like Larry would be a great place to start to answer any of your stump grinding needs. Speaking for Larry, give him call to discuss what options Bandit can provide to you. 989-330-1573

This is a little off topic but I have a vermeer grinder , and can you get parts on the net? I looked on ebay and there was nothing there. I'm guessing you have to get them from the dealer. Other than the basics anyway. Does anyone ever part them out?

Latest posts

Back