New chainsaw rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When its your time its your time... If we all worried about the unexpected none of would start a chainsaw with the chain on.

i like it..

OMG, i just realized, i've been driving for 27 years and i never wear my seatbelt.... there's no way i should even be alive...
don't tell anyone !!!!!!!!!!!

Ya, that's it....just laugh it off. Things would change how you look at life if you see a buddy get in a wreck and run up to his car and find his head wedged between the windsheild and the dash. WDO

I have saws in the back of my SUV all the time. I hate pickups and will never own one for hauling gear. The SUV is just much more versatile, and allows me to keep my gear nice and dry.

I have mine between a toolbox and the back doors. The toolbox is bolted through the floor and truck frame and short of the truck frame shearing the box will stay put, that should keep the saws in place.

I'm pretty sure that right there is a good example of why God made pickup trucks.

You could buy 2 of my pickups for what the hardware in that rack cost!

(I won't divulge whether I'm talking about the saws or the wood screws)

Nice rig, excellent selection of clean chainsaw equipment etc. Now, are you a faller or is there a trailer involved in this Conversion to the Excursion? Lots of time and devotion put into your hard work but I must say I wouldn't have done it. Too nice a SUV to abuse. A good sized low sided box (Maybe 2x4's on edge )with plywood floor that lay on the floor of the vehicle would have sufficed. Even if you have sawdust, oil spill etc. the plywood would absorb or hold same and could be easily cleaned. Some netting, vinyl cover and rubber straps that could be easily removed would have hidden/protected/secured your treasures. Just my .02 cents. No disrespect intended.:greenchainsaw:

Your comment didn't bother me. The "get a truck" comments kind of did. I mean, you don't know my situation, you aren't the ones paying my bills. I've worked hard for what I have and have to make do with that.

Well I told ya I was messin with ya. You didn't notice the deer huntin lights comment?

But now that you mention it, if you post on the internet wanting comments, you better be thick skinned, not everyone thinks the same as you do.

One serious question though, why all that trouble building racks in the passanger compartment of your tow vehicle, when you could put the saws and fuel jugs in that nice box on your trailer?

When its your time its your time... If we all worried about the unexpected none of would start a chainsaw with the chain on.

OMG, i just realized, i've been driving for 27 years and i never wear my seatbelt.... there's no way i should even be alive...

Nothing unexpected about it. If you drive a vehicle you should expect to be hit.

I never got in the habit of wearing a seat belt, but I don't brag about it because I know it is just plain stupid. 15 months ago I started getting in the habit because I had a son, and he needs a father. I'm still working on it...

I rode in the back of a station wagon and never got hurt...my boy rides in the best car seat we could afford.

None of the advice I have read is "old granny" stuff, just simple observation and common sense. If I was doing something that could be dangerous, I'd sure appreciate someone pointing it out.

Hello Fellas
Doom and Gloom.I take that as an offensive remark.Having not known exactly how he had the rack tied down I was just bringing a caution to his post.Seems that Scott did not get offended by my remark,nor was i trying to offend him.
Peace Brother! Safety first! PS Do I know you?
Lawrence

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the safety, but hey , it looks great and I got a truck that I wish I could get half as organized as this setup.

Nice rig, excellent selection of clean chainsaw equipment etc. Now, are you a faller or is there a trailer involved in this Conversion to the Excursion? Lots of time and devotion put into your hard work but I must say I wouldn't have done it. Too nice a SUV to abuse. A good sized low sided box (Maybe 2x4's on edge )with plywood floor that lay on the floor of the vehicle would have sufficed. Even if you have sawdust, oil spill etc. the plywood would absorb or hold same and could be easily cleaned. Some netting, vinyl cover and rubber straps that could be easily removed would have hidden/protected/secured your treasures. Just my .02 cents. No disrespect intended.:greenchainsaw:

I have a stump grinder and ASV RC30 skid steer that I haul with the Excursion and I use a dump trailer to haul off the wood we cut down.

Well I told ya I was messin with ya. You didn't notice the deer huntin lights comment?

But now that you mention it, if you post on the internet wanting comments, you better be thick skinned, not everyone thinks the same as you do.

One serious question though, why all that trouble building racks in the passanger compartment of your tow vehicle, when you could put the saws and fuel jugs in that nice box on your trailer?

Simple, I don't always have that nice trailer with me. Sometimes I have a different trailer and I found myself pulling more and more stuff out of the trailer and into the Excursion. Plus all that crap wouldn't fit in the trailer tool box.

Oh and don't worry, I'm pretty think skinned.

i like it..

don't tell anyone !!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt give a #### what you did on your own time(so to speak) if it wasnt going to effect someone else.....but an unrestrained body in a motor vehicle becomes a deadly projectile.....in other words your bull#### attitude can kill someone else......

back to the rack.

im all for getting your gear organised. first of all, is mounting the saws like that going to do them harm? like traveling over corrugated roads with them supported by the bar, and no its not the same as using it in cutting etc...

second, you rack is unneccessarily heavy and top heavy at that. as Bobl was saying the design is bad also, think of it as a parrallelagram(house made from cards) it has no bracing so it WILL fold forward and cause all sorts of trouble in an accident or even in heavy braking....timber and steel are two different animals, a welded joint will provide some bracing that a timber butt joint will not....tieing it down more will provide no bracing, just some resistance that will help fatigue the butt joins over time....

it may be a good stop gap, but get a alloy one fabbed up, alloy is approx i/2 as strong as steel BUT 1/3 the weight so can be made strong enough but lighter, which will alow you to remove it quite easily when you need to...

nice saws....but arent you missing the 372xp :greenchainsaw:

Serg

back to the rack.

im all for getting your gear organised. first of all, is mounting the saws like that going to do them harm? like traveling over corrugated roads with them supported by the bar, and no its not the same as using it in cutting etc...

second, you rack is unneccessarily heavy and top heavy at that. as Bobl was saying the design is bad also, think of it as a parrallelagram(house made from cards) it has no bracing so it WILL fold forward and cause all sorts of trouble in an accident or even in heavy braking....timber and steel are two different animals, a welded joint will provide some bracing that a timber butt joint will not....tieing it down more will provide no bracing, just some resistance that will help fatigue the butt joins over time....

it may be a good stop gap, but get a alloy one fabbed up, alloy is approx i/2 as strong as steel BUT 1/3 the weight so can be made strong enough but lighter, which will alow you to remove it quite easily when you need to...

I'll work on something more permanent sometime soon.

nice saws....but arent you missing the 372xp :greenchainsaw:

Serg

No, I have a 20" bar for the 394. Kind of like a heavy 372. :greenchainsaw:

Made a new rack. I kept thinking about what everyone said plus it was hard to get stuff out from under the chainsaws. This one is even more organized.

Tell me what you think.

Both saws (394xp & 346xp) fit in the box on the left. The HT131 pole saw and all my hand tools (rakes/shovels) fit underneath.
2009-06-09002.jpg

2009-06-09003.jpg

View from driver's rear door:
2009-06-09004.jpg

2009-06-09005.jpg

Very nice! Looks a lot less lethal too!

I use an Excursion for my wood cutting truck, because it is the only truck I have. I pull a Bri-mar dump trailer with 5' sides hauls about 2 1/4 cord. Unloading is sweeeet. The saws and gear lay on a rubber backed mat. I use old recycling tubs for the gear. The best riding woodhauler available.

I think your best bet with all of the stuff you have in there is to build some kind of divider between the passengers compartment and your tool compartment maybe something made of expanded metal and angle iron. You guys can scream truck all you want I bet this guys stuff is dryer, cleaner, and more secure than any of your stuff banging around in the back of your truck!

I think your best bet with all of the stuff you have in there is to build some kind of divider between the passengers compartment and your tool compartment maybe something made of expanded metal and angle iron. You guys can scream truck all you want I bet this guys stuff is dryer, cleaner, and more secure than any of your stuff banging around in the back of your truck!

This is as good as it's gonna get. I'm done building.

I am working towards getting a truck. I really don't know what I'm going to do with all my stuff as I plan on getting a truck to use as a chip hauler. (Small dump bed.) It is very nice to be able to throw everything in the back of the Excursion and then lock it to go into Wal-Mart.

I'm probably going to move toward some kind of large tool box or combination of boxes for my large trailer. I have a 7'x24' bumper pull trailer that will be here in 2 weeks. (Worse than waiting for Christmas.) I only need 22' to haul my skid steer and stump grinder so I'm thinking about building something in that front 2' of that trailer. That trailer will be with me on probably 95% of all jobs that I do.

Latest posts

Back