New dangerous ways to cut wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rube2112

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought some of you might get a kick out of what I have thrown together while while my husq 455 is in the shop. This is NOT completed yet, but it is a homemade electric chainsaw that should have alot of power when finished. No shields are in place but it has been tested at low voltage and so far everything seems to be ok. These Scott motors can develop a whole bunch of torque when run at 36 volts .....we will see what happens. Robb

something to be said about adversity being the mother of invention...

Hope you post picks when you get it all together. Hope all goes your way with Lowes and your broke saw.

The original chain saws were all electric. I seem to recall that some of them ran of a generator powered by a dozer. So, you'd plug your 80 pound electric saw into the cat, cut up a bunch of wood, then drag the logs to the landing with the cat.

I think the torque output of an electric motor is constant, so near zero rpm all the power of the motor is delivered as torque. As the speed of the motor increases then the rpm component of hp=(torque x rpm)/5252 becomes a factor.

So, if you come close to stalling that motor-saw in the cut, you'll experience an enormous delivery of torque.

Happy Cutting!

Looks good so far how are you going to oil the chain.

If it works I'll only be using it to mill.....so I'll have to rig a gravity oiler. As far as people saying its dangerous....well it is right now but I think you missed the part about it being not finished........I just love nay sayers......the more they nay, the more I do..........Robb

Robb

Nice! Way to think out of the box!

Are you running a clutch? Is it needed?

Dan

No clutch........the safety of the machine will have alot to do with how I program the controller. It will have a button on the handle that while pushed, the saw will be running.....release the button and the saw will stop very quickly

Robb, great idea and i love people who think and act out of the box. Keep us posted and be safe!!

Good luck,

Lex

thanks......my only concern at this point is that the rpm's won't really be high enough. It should have a no load speed of 4500. I'm not sure how that compares with gas chainsaws........Robb

thanks......my only concern at this point is that the rpm's won't really be high enough. It should have a no load speed of 4500. I'm not sure how that compares with gas chainsaws........Robb

No comparison to newer generation saws(14,000rpm+), but remember some of those older beasts(1950's vintage) ran in that 4000-6000rpm range and the timber still fell.

Drew

If it works I'll only be using it to mill.....so I'll have to rig a gravity oiler. As far as people saying its dangerous....well it is right now but I think you missed the part about it being not finished........I just love nay sayers......the more they nay, the more I do..........Robb

Don't mind the nay-sayers!!

You tunrned a negative into a positive

Here's the negative for those who missed it
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=85453

No comparison to newer generation saws(14,000rpm+), but remember some of those older beasts(1950's vintage) ran in that 4000-6000rpm range and the timber still fell.

Drew

hmmmmm.....thanks......I knew they were up there pretty good in rpm's ...I'm hesitant to raise it to 48 volts though. This whole thing may be a flop but I have time that has been forced upon me at this point and I've spent zero dollars in my effort. Robb

Back