New Echo CS-330T binding / stalling. Help Appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Charles

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked up a brand new CS-330T today. It was the floor model at a store and never used. Got home added oil and gas (mixed with what came with the saw) It started up fine. Idled great. A little throttle and it bogged like the brake was on but it wasn't. Stopped it and checked the chain. It wasn't tight but i loosened it a little. It seemed to run ok but kept bogging at low throttle and would only turn at full. I removed the bar and chain and replaced and the problem still existed. Double checked the brake and saw no problem. The binding seemed to get worse and any throttle caused it to stall out. Tried a few more times and suddenly the thing jumped to life and ran full bore for a few seconds while turning the chain and then stalled. After that it would stall each time any throttle was applied. This stalling happened even when i tried it w/o the bar and chain all together.

I have made no mods at this time and it is bone stock. Trying to decide if it is a lemon and I need to swap it out or if this is a known fixable issue. I grabbed a second one while I was there to flip on ebay but I dont want to open that box unless this one turns out to be a dud and needs to be returned. Any and all help welcome.

Mike

Now I'm guessing the chain turns easily by hand and the saw turns over easily with the rope?
That eliminates the brake/chain/bar.

I'm also guessing you bought it a store that doesn't do pre delivery checks.
So that means the tune is likely a mile out. That's either the tune being a mile out or a ridiculous air leak.
Does it want to run with the choke on?
Without removing the limiters can you tune it?
Can you remove the limiters, move them and replace so it looks standard?

I love the exho
Picked up a brand new CS-330T today. It was the floor model at a store and never used. Got home added oil and gas (mixed with what came with the saw) It started up fine. Idled great. A little throttle and it bogged like the brake was on but it wasn't. Stopped it and checked the chain. It wasn't tight but i loosened it a little. It seemed to run ok but kept bogging at low throttle and would only turn at full. I removed the bar and chain and replaced and the problem still existed. Double checked the brake and saw no problem. The binding seemed to get worse and any throttle caused it to stall out. Tried a few more times and suddenly the thing jumped to life and ran full bore for a few seconds while turning the chain and then stalled. After that it would stall each time any throttle was applied. This stalling happened even when i tried it w/o the bar and chain all together.

I have made no mods at this time and it is bone stock. Trying to decide if it is a lemon and I need to swap it out or if this is a known fixable issue. I grabbed a second one while I was there to flip on ebay but I dont want to open that box unless this one turns out to be a dud and needs to be returned. Any and all help welcome.

Mike
I love the echo top handle saws you will need to use a fine thread sheet rock screw and remove thetuning caps asap. and also check for a cat in the exhaust. that needs to come out to you will void the warrenty on ur saw but if ur saw is not knocking now then screw the warrenty and tune the saw to run good both needles will need to be richend up. echo come stock to run good in Colorado's elevation they are so lean out of the box that it makes the boneless skinless chicken breast look fat trust me you have a good saw but you need to do some work to it that the shop you got it from won't do to it cause of epa violations

You have to pull the limiter caps and open the low up until you get good throttle response, then open up the high until your sure it's way rich then back in until it cuts the fastest in bigger wood. Don't be running it until that's done . Open up the muff and you'll have a saw you like. The reason to learn how to tune a saw is so you know how rather than acting like a zombie. Plus you save lots of money rather than taking it to a dealer who might or might not do it right.
Steve

Good call on going ahead and doing the mods. Deleting the cat and giving it a proper tune will keep it out of the shop, running it on the factory tune is asking for failure and warranty work...

yep,, that saw is stupid lean from the factory,,, been many times i have had to richen the low side as much as 1/2 turn which means the limiters have to be trimmed,,,

I would agree with that. Unfortunately I dropped one of them down into the case and couldn't shake it out. The flywheel did a number on it! The main thing is getting them off and richening the mixture...enjoy!

Back