New Firewood Friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the sheriffs department... (closest town is 5-miles away)
Nobody has reported a lost dog (puppy), but they took the description and my number. They told me not to hold my breath waiting for someone to call, they didn't believe a puppy could just wander so far into no-mans-land this time of year. They told me what I already knew... the area of the county I live in is the perfect place for dumping unwanted pets.

The wife and daughter named her Molly... fine with me, it's just a name.

Things happen for a reason. Rep sent for giving her a good home!

Funny thing about brits, They can be very trying while trying to train. Seems like they just don't want to agree with you, but then they turn about 4 years old and somewhere a switch flips and the light bulb glows bright.

This kinda reminds of a friend I know that has a 2 yr old Lab. She asked me when he is going to calm down. I told her about 15 minutes before he dies!

attachment.php

New BOSS at your house, good for you for helping her in her time of need.

Rep Sent

Take good care of that one. We took in an Australian Shepard stray, approximately 1 year old, my daughter turned her into the KS 4H graduate novice obedience State Champion.

Molly is a very lucky dog and I am sure she will love you and your family for years to come.

Good looking pup....:)

I heard an interesting story about rescuing dogs a week or so ago from some friends of the family. They live out by the wildlife refuge and have had a few dogs over the years come up missing. They had assumed that they were road kills, or perhaps the coyotes got them. One day they get a call from the vet that one of their dogs that had been missing for some time was just dropped off for a checkup. Turns out the old lady up the road goes for a walk regularly and likes to "rescue" any of the dogs she finds out along the way. Guess she has rescued and found homes for several dogs in the past from that area....:dizzy: The owners have a wireless fence to contain their dogs. Not to say one didn't cross the wire and get out, but it would have had a collar on regardless.

Received several phone calls from the wife Thursday.

She was totally frazzled... we had two "accidents" on the furniture and three on the carpet. Between the three-year-old boy and the puppy she was ready to start "happy-hour" at 10:00 AM :dizzy:

I picked up one of the wire-cage kennels for the pup on the way home. Friday went a lot smoother. She was ready to forget about keeping the little girl Thursday night... Last night, after a day of using the kennel as a wall of separation between the two babies, she was on the floor playing with the pup. I'll be home all weekend to help out... But, I've decided to wait a week before spending any $$$'s at the vet... just in case.

Trying to house break a dog in winter has got to be hard. I have always gotten my pups during warm weather so they could be outside allott. Given short period of time she get the idea can't say that for your toddler.

Growing, eating, peeing and pooping.

She's doing fine. The house-breaking is happening as fast as my wife would like it to, but hey... she is a puppy. She loves people... any people, and lands in their lap quite unexpectedly. So far we've only lost one item to the ravages of little teeth... a slipper belonging to the 3-year-old... which wasn't a big deal 'cause he'd about outgrown them anyway.

a slipper, that's a lot better than my first chewing escapade, ex wife's best pair of hi-heels, chewed the insides out, maybe that pup knew something I didn't?

The key to house breaking any dog is total control of the food and water bowl.

I broke a english shepherd puppy this winter and all our dogs whether they live inside or outside are house broke.

I let them eat and drink only two times during the day and about two hours before bedtime.
A pup will usually have to **** about 30 minutes after eating, so I put them out about right at 30 minutes and walk with it until it does it's business the first few times rewarding it right after it lays the cable. They will usually pizz at the same time.

When first starting it I keep the dog in a dog crate while in the house. When I take it out of the crate I call it to the front door and take it out to pizz and reward it. No free roaming in the house yet. When it starts going to the front door by itself when it's let out of the crate, then it starts getting more and more free time.

Some breeds are easier than others. The english shepherds I've got usually will be done in a week to ten days.

Saturday before last my wife couldn't help herself. The same Pup she had seen in the road the day before in the middle of nowhere, was still there walking towards oncoming vehicles. Soo... she took him to the shelter, where she was told that they are swamped because of so many getting dumped, Donations are way down, and that they had to reduce the time dogs and cats stay before getting the needle.

So she brought home "Moe".
attachment.php

We gave him a couple of flea baths, treated him with Bio-spot, and dusted him with carbaryl for all the fleas, and then hung flyers with his photo all over the area stores, restaraunts and convenience stores.

Yesterday, my cousin figured he could use a younger pooch on his farm and we figured Moe had a good home where he would be spoiled rotten, have all the critters to chase and live the high life.
2 hours later the phone rang...the Cousins wife came home, was greeted by Moe with wads of Burrs in his fur and smelling like Horse poop from exploring the new boundrys..and she put the Kibosh on Moe. LOL!!!

So here he is, fresh out of the third flea bath laying in front of the fire snoring.
Should named him "Boomerang".

It's kinda nuts and all kinds of wrong, that someone could dump a good dog in the middle of nowhere and rife with Coyotes, and not care one whit.
But then times are tough, it's renewal time for dog tags and vaccinations and unemployment has 30% in poverty around here.

I reckon we could drop a couple of bags of Mutt chow off at the shelter and maybe buy a couple other mutts a day or two before the needle.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dinger, you hit the nail on the head. On one corner of my place we have a little country church that has been standing since 1870, we're in a very,very rural area being one of two houses on our entire road. The church only holds services one Sunday every other month or six times a year. It has become a favorite unwanted pet dumping ground. In a typical month I may have to put down three or four dogs.
There are no shelters in our area. I've even found show rabbits dumped after the county fair. People don't realize dumping them is much crueler than putting them down. I hate do put them down but I've got four dogs of my own.
If you don't deal with them they either starve to death, start killing chickens and small animals and start chasing livestock. We've had groups of feral dogs in the area before that killed calves and farmers got together and started shooting them to get it stopped. People always like the cute little puppy but don't realize the responsibility and expense that comes with owning a pet.
Good luck with your new found pup.

Latest posts

Back