New firewood machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been mighty impressed with this lil' L3800.

Hell of a lo skidder and handles logs larger than it should!

I need to get a few photos of it.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Without pictures it didn't happen.
They do work great, just have to keep the pull down low for the heavier loads. These little kubota's have more grunt than they do weight to pull it. Traction seems to be the weak point.
CaseyForrest your loader will lift as much as mine and the b2650 weighs less than an L series. A heavy box blade is great for rear balast, and would be removable for mowing. I have loaded tires on mine and don't think I would be without them as it's a lot of added weight and mine will still bounce the rear tires with a large load in the bucket. The skidding winch on mine helps gobs for traction and having a little extra umph for hitting piles of dirt.

Funny I was getting some black walnut down the road and had a stick jam right up in there and I could not steer. I didn't know what had happened and I was a little bummed at the time. Fortunately it was not to bad of a deal even though it took about 10min to get it out without damaging anything:dizzy:.

CaseyForrest your loader will lift as much as mine and the b2650 weighs less than an L series. A heavy box blade is great for rear balast, and would be removable for mowing. I have loaded tires on mine and don't think I would be without them as it's a lot of added weight and mine will still bounce the rear tires with a large load in the bucket. The skidding winch on mine helps gobs for traction and having a little extra umph for hitting piles of dirt.

Still tossing around loading the rears. Since this is going to be my mowing machine I may leave them unloaded and hitch up the 60" box blade for ballast.

BUT, I have access to free propylene glycol which is what I put in the JD rear tires. Ill see what the first snow plowing brings in the way of traction and make a decision.

Do you have a blade for the front. If so what size. I think you'll be fine without them filled. I can't believe how much I did with a honda foreman 450 and a 48/60" plow. They only weigh about 500 with the plow and do a great job.
You could make a large tank for the back to mount above the box blade to fill with propylene glycol for a little extra weight.
This way you can remove the ballast for mowing easily.
Have to ask about this too:
Pallet forks and 60" mmm will be delivered soon.
I've never seen a muffler modded mower from the factory was that a special order item :p.

What is the weight capacity of the loader?

I didn't realize how anemic most tractor loaders are until my Dad bought a 30hp 4x4 Kioti and he was telling that he couldn't even lift a load of bagged mulch, maybe 2000lbs.

I've been happy with my Bobcat S250, though I'd expect it cost "a little" more than a small tractor.

I didn't realize how anemic most tractor loaders are until my Dad bought a 30hp 4x4 Kioti and he was telling that he couldn't even lift a load of bagged mulch, maybe 2000lbs.

I've been happy with my Bobcat S250, though I'd expect it cost "a little" more than a small tractor.
Your right, even some of the older skids have a real hard time lifting 2k. The loader is rated for 1146lbs I think. But they have crazy ways of calculating it at this height and at the pin :baaa:. My L3800 loader has a hard time lifting a 996lbs 5' brush hog off the ground. I move it around by placing the bucket under the bottom two pins then strapping the top link pin over the top of the bucket. I just let the wheel ride on the ground. The guy I bought it from let me run his tractor and it was a kubota 3150 with a larger loader and it lifted it at an idle:cry:. I emailed him asking what the heck was the model of the tractor and loader.
For the price I got mine for I am now over it, sort of:laugh:.

Yeah that's what my Dad was saying too, it's measured at the pins or something weird like that. He said the numbers they put out were not very "real world".

I have no idea how much my skid steer can lift "real world". It lifts strong enough to just stand it on it's nose if it's too heavy. Somewhere in the area of 5000-6000lbs I'd guess. I know the grapple I use weighs about 900lbs.

Your right, even some of the older skids have a real hard time lifting 2k. The loader is rated for 1146lbs I think. But they have crazy ways of calculating it at this height and at the pin :baaa:. My L3800 loader has a hard time lifting a 996lbs 5' brush hog off the ground. I move it around by placing the bucket under the bottom two pins then strapping the top link pin over the top of the bucket. I just let the wheel ride on the ground. The guy I bought it from let me run his tractor and it was a kubota 3150 with a larger loader and it lifted it at an idle:cry:. I emailed him asking what the heck was the model of the tractor and loader.
For the price I got mine for I am now over it, sort of:laugh:.

Yeah that's what my Dad was saying too, it's measured at the pins or something weird like that. He said the numbers they put out were not very "real world".

I have no idea how much my skid steer can lift "real world". It lifts strong enough to just stand it on it's nose if it's too heavy. Somewhere in the area of 5000-6000lbs I'd guess. I know the grapple I use weighs about 900lbs.
Yeah, thats a nice machine you got. I was laughing when I saw it in the brag load thread with that one little twig in it's teeth, it looked like something it was using to floss with lol. I looked at a skid, but the one thing I didn't like is the lack of vision. I have three young kids running around the house and the occasional adult who I don't trust around the equipment. I thought about just getting a camera, but this deal came up and I had to go for it.
I mainly use it around the house at this point and at a buddies 50 acres(freshly logged) so it works out well. I like the brushhog being behind me when I'm using it as well.

Maybe down the rd I'll get a skid, never know what Santa might bring me this yr, I've been very good:D

Without looking it up, I believe the 2650 is right around 1000 pounds 19" from the pins. Which would be about the cutting edge with the bucket on.

Heck, the tractor only weighs about 2000 pounds with the loader attached.

The rear is a fair bit higher, again, from memory.... 2300 at the pins and 1600 24" back from the pins.

Do you have a blade for the front. If so what size. I think you'll be fine without them filled. I can't believe how much I did with a honda foreman 450 and a 48/60" plow. They only weigh about 500 with the plow and do a great job.
You could make a large tank for the back to mount above the box blade to fill with propylene glycol for a little extra weight.
This way you can remove the ballast for mowing easily.
Have to ask about this too:

I've never seen a muffler modded mower from the factory was that a special order item :p.

I have a 72" back blade. I'll use the fel for pushing piles up.

I don't plan on using this for "production" work so I'm not to worried about the limits of the tractor. I researched for about a month prior to purchasing and the only thing that kept me from going to an L series was the absence of a mid pto in my budget. The box blade, I think, will fit "my" ballast needs. If not I'll load the tires.

And yes, the mmm was special order. You should see how it does in the cut compared to a non mmm.

I'm no stranger to equipment. I work with iron that would make this seem like it would fit in your pocket.

Sent from a field

I have a 72" back blade. I'll use the fel for pushing piles up.

I don't plan on using this for "production" work so I'm not to worried about the limits of the tractor. I researched for about a month prior to purchasing and the only thing that kept me from going to an L series was the absence of a mid pto in my budget. The box blade, I think, will fit "my" ballast needs. If not I'll load the tires.

And yes, the mmm was special order. You should see how it does in the cut compared to a non mmm.

I'm no stranger to equipment. I work with iron that would make this seem like it would fit in your pocket.

Sent from a field
I missed a heavy land pride 66" box blade :(, it's one thing I'd like to have. I have a 72" straight blade that works, but not as well.
The one thing I didn't like about pushing piles back was that the reach is short. Last yr end of season I bought a cheap snow bear plow off craigslist for 150. I just got the steel last Friday to fab mounts to attach it to a quick attach plate made as a hay spear. Looking forward to getting that setup soon.
Yeah I saw that in your profile before, about the equipment. I know what you mean about it making these guys seem small. Once you run big equipment you get pretty used to it. People get a little scared when you get close to something like a ft away and I have to laugh because I have to get closer many times in a day at the back corners of a 50ft trailer. I used to fill up at the speedway off the grand ledge exit almost every day.
I think you'll love the b series I probably would have went with one also for mowing. I bought used and didn't get to choose as much as went for the deal. I'm still trying to get used to the fact I have it as an option. It sure changes how you do things.

Trust me load the tires, you wont regret it, I have both loaded in my kioti and they don't tear the yard up, but if your doing any heavy lifting with the loader it will give you peace of mind and may be the deciding factor in having the tractor upwright or on its side!

Congrats on the new Tractor. They do make life so much easier. I say load the tires, even with my tires loaded I still had to make a heavy counter weight on my L4740. the counter weight has 12-80lb bags of concrete in it. Even with that I can still get the rear off the ground moving skids with close to a half cord of green wood in them.
IMG_6499.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

That's a beast. Hard to believe it has a hard time with half a cord of green wood.
Think about that load being way out front on the loader. Also the front of a tractor is the smallest part of the machine. These tractors were originally designed for all the extra weight and work to be done on the back, not the front. Loaders were an add on many years after tractors hit the market, now they are the norm. Real commercial loaders and skid steers are nothing like farm tractors, they have a lot more weight at the rear to counter the loader.

Loaded rear tires help, But the best thing anyone can do is use a counter weight on the 3 pt of these tractors when doin any type of FEL work.

Back