new fs250, which blade do you run?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguyinoh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just ordered a new fs250 trimmer as I have heard that they will probably be gone soon to EPA, and was wondering what kind of line head/ blade everyone runs.
Primary use will be maintaining and clearing fencerows and some trail work in the woodlot. Heavy brush and grass, lot of berries, but not very much over an inch, and usually have a 200t stashed in the truck anyway.
I hope that this trimmer lives up to the hype lol. Thanks

Congrats. My FS 250R is the best trimmer I've ever owned. Actually its the best trimmer I've ever even tried. Plenty of power, reliable, and not as heavy as one would think. You're going to love it.

I use .095 line on mine with the autocut head when using it around the house. On the farm I switch to the brush knife.

Is that the three wing steel blade from Stihl? How does it hold up? Can it be sharpened pretty easily, and what do they cost? I am leery of the plastic blade type setups, even though i have heard good things.

Yeah its from Stihl. You can see it on this page where it is listed as "Steel Brush Knife":

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/blades.html

It is easily sharpened, but I can't tell you how much they cost. I had the dealer throw mine in for free when I bought the trimmer. If you decide to get one you might want to get the little bumper guard thing (kind of shaped like a donut) for underneath it. That way you can keep from running it into the ground all the time.

Might be overkill for the needs of the OP, but I've got the chisel-tooth blade and limit stop on my FS130. Cuts through woody shrubs and saplings with no trouble at all. Don't even notice smaller stuff. On the FS250, it could only be better.

PPine

I use the 3-bladed brush knife on my FS250 90% of the time clearing fence rows and thickets. It holds up well, but be aware that even with the guard in place it can sling rocks and stuff pretty hard. So keep other folks out of the area while you're cutting and make double sure you have eye protection.

I was working on a fence row alongside the road a couple of weeks ago and hit a glass bottle. A chunk of glass hit my arm and cut nice little gash.

Is the chisel tooth the kind that sharpens with a chainsaw file? How does it do on thick grass and weeds? I suppose that I am looking for the blade that will do the most work without needing to be switched out. thanks

Is the chisel tooth the kind that sharpens with a chainsaw file? How does it do on thick grass and weeds? I suppose that I am looking for the blade that will do the most work without needing to be switched out. thanks

Yep, the chisel tooth sharpens with a regular chainsaw file. I have tried the chisel tooth, which is just a type of circular saw blade, on grass and weeds. Between the two I think the 3 bladed brush knife is far more versatile. The brush knife cuts weeds and grass about as well as a string head, but gives you the ability to cut through some pretty sized vines, brush, and even small saplings.

I have used the chisel blade in sections of pasture where willow trees and saplings had taken over. In this applications the circular saw blade really shines. In tall grass and weeds it tends to get the tall stuff wound around the shaft, and it seems to me that they just doesn't cut the smaller stuff as well.

If I could only have one blade on my FS250 it would be the brush knife.

The stihl 3 blade brush knife works very well against most everything. It is very easy to sharpen (if you can sharpen a knife edge) and you can flip it over for a fresh edge. When you get into heavier brush like 1”+ hard wood saplings, it can be a bit jarring to use as it is really like a motorized machete. In the tough woody stuff you are better off with a multi tooth blade. I like the redmax sst229. It sharpens just like a chainsaw blade complete with rakers. Easy to use and sharpen and can take a few rock hits without loss of cutting power. I think most blades go for about 20 to 25 bucks. Redmax blades are available on line from better retailers or fleabay. Be sure to get a limit stop deflector and stihl comfort harness to go with your new rig. The large stock deflector that comes on the FS250 is next to useless. Trade for either a limit stop (for use with metal blades) or the hi-vis deflector to use with string. Stock harness is also next to useless in heavy brush.

If you are using string, the stihl 25-2 autocut (stock ) works just fine for most applications. I prefer .095 (echo crossfire) for yard use as it tends to swing straighter at lower speeds. If you need to swing big string, echo makes an aluminum heavy duty 4 fixed line head that can hold .130-.155 line. That thing is just crazy on the FS250. Do not use near any of value. Have fun but be careful and make sure you get some PPE, especially for your eyes!

I bought a 3 tip brush knife from stihl, and like it, but am tempted by the 12" one from windsor, Baileys has it for $17. Will the stilh limit stop accept a 12" blade? I am also looking into the 4 line heads that will run heavier line. I like the fs250, but is a baby compared to the weedeater 657 I have been using for years. 88 cc, I think, I run 4 lines at about a 24-28" diameter, and it doenest even breathe hard.

Back