New fuel filters Vs. Old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 041 Farmboss. And when tearing the carb apart many times to see its plugged, I noticed my foam was shot. it was plugging the carb. Anyhow dealer says they no longer carry the foam for the filters due to the new gasoline, with alcohol in it. They say its needed, but the new filter didn't have the foam. So is it possible to find the foam, so I can change it out when needed.....It would be cheaper than buying a new stihl filter. If I can use foam, what kind is recommended? I would put my old filter in next time with new foam.

I have a 041 Farmboss. And when tearing the carb apart many times to see its plugged, I noticed my foam was shot. it was plugging the carb. Anyhow dealer says they no longer carry the foam for the filters due to the new gasoline, with alcohol in it. They say its needed, but the new filter didn't have the foam. So is it possible to find the foam, so I can change it out when needed.....It would be cheaper than buying a new stihl filter. If I can use foam, what kind is recommended? I would put my old filter in next time with new foam.

The newer filters are much better and one shouldn't break the bank. 3 or 4 bucks and you should be good for a year or two.

The old one I removed had the metal screen in it. It also had a lead weight, a small plastic screen behind the rubber cap, and the foam. That damn piece of foam has caused all sorts of problems. I'll have to look into a new filter for it. I just don't want a disposable filter on it.

The old one I removed had the metal screen in it. It also had a lead weight, a small plastic screen behind the rubber cap, and the foam. That damn piece of foam has caused all sorts of problems. I'll have to look into a new filter for it. I just don't want a disposable filter on it.

Get used to buying disposable filters... They are the way to go.

Gary

Sounds like thats what I will do. I had read on here somewhere about the foam inserts, but with gas the way it is now. I'll just replace them every year or two. Its better than going over that carb again.

The insert for the "new" (10+ years old) type filters is only $1.80... and they are a fantastic filter.

A chainsaw filter doesn't just "filter", it acts as a pickup for foaming gas.

Last edited:
Yes, the old foam inserts sucked, they only would last a mere 30 years or so.

p.m. me your address, i will send you a new one for free...

Andy, your "rep" stars are starting to protrude in an ugly way, can they not come up with another icon/medal/badge/ etc???? That will stand for all of your worshippers laudation???

I might have more, but I suspect all of those red strikes I get go in the other direction......

I think I should have a few "red" stars, that would make me feel better

yep... I was tired of listening... :greenchainsaw:

Been there. I've been working on this old saw for a few days. She doesn't see the need to put a few parts on an old saw. Told her I didn't have the money for a new one. Plus this old 041 does its job and then some. I put in a new recoil, which was slick and a new pull cord today. Old one finally gave after 30 years.

Back