New Guy - Just Bought a 038 AV Magnum - Where to Start on Maintenance and Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

This was the saw that started the madness. When I bought it in 2017, I had a few homeowner Poulans in the garage at the time as well. When I finished my tour in Europe in 2018, I had 100 saws, mostly Stihl and Jonsereds.

I picked up quite a few really cool ones, too - a few Comet diesels, 3 or 4 Jonsereds XA diesels, Dolmar KMS-4 Rotary, Mac SP125C, a dozen Jonsereds XF's, Jonsereds 110's and 111S's, about a dozen Stihl Contras including an S and a GS, Stihl 090G, etc, etc.

And for the past few years, I've slowly been selling off all of my collector saws to fund my vintage Bronco and musclecar obsession. In the meantime, the 038 Mag has been sitting in a box, disassembled, waiting for its turn in line. That day came about a week ago.

At this point, the case halves have been powder coated and the bottom end is coming back together. I have an NOS piston but using the original jug, since it was in good condition. I have decided not to port the jug; I'll just do a base gasket delete. Don't think I'll fool with ignition timing, either.

It should look pretty nice when done but it's not going to be a shelf queen. I'll probably keep a 24" bar on it but have a 28" if needed. 3/8 chain of course, 7 pin rim drive.

Will get some pics posted.

If only Hutzl made an aftermarket bottom end for the 038m, we'd never need an 044.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Looking good Scott - I think the 038 Magnum was the model that started the madness for a lot of people.

When I went to work for the forest service in 1990, my boss at the time had a newer 038 Magnum set-up as his falling saw and it
looked pretty much the same as yours. He fell some big timber with it.

Coming back together. Had to order some AV rubber for it; old stuff wasn't in great condition.

Looks like a nice clean build , OEM/non-ChiCom parts, with attention to details. :rock:

I see an ex outlet on flywheel side of muffler, did you find a 3-outlet Stihl muffler?

I know it's 1/2 back together, and you didn't port it. But it is worth polishing the ex port which cuts down any carbon buildup and matching the muffler/gasket to the port.

What did you end up with for squish without base gasket?

Looks like a nice clean build , OEM/non-ChiCom parts, with attention to details. :rock:

I see an ex outlet on flywheel side of muffler, did you find a 3-outlet Stihl muffler?

I know it's 1/2 back together, and you didn't port it. But it is worth polishing the ex port which cuts down any carbon buildup and matching the muffler/gasket to the port.

What did you end up with for squish without base gasket?

I think the Magnum 2 038's came with a 3 port muffler, but I got an aftermarket dual port (maybe from Bailey's? It's been several years) and added a third port.

I cleaned up the exhaust port, but it was just by hand with some sandpaper. I wouldn't call it ported.

Squish was right at .016". I usually shoot for .020", but .016" is where it landed with no base gasket. Adding an OEM gasket would have put me at .036" and that's not optimal.

thanks

All back together! Had some issues with getting the contact spring figured out. NOS tank I sourced didn't have a hole drilled and was configured a bit differently so I thought I needed a different spring. After chasing my tail on that for a while, I got it handled out with some help from a few folks here. Then when I started it up for the first time, I wouldn't pull fuel from the tank. Apparently some knucklehead (ME!) forgot to connect the impulse line at the base of the jug. And then after starting, the flywheel loosened up and the saw quit so I had to re-torque that as well.

Anyway, it runs great. Idle set per factory spec at 2,500. Got the carb tuned to where it four strokes at WOT at max recommended rpm of 13,500. Should clean up in the cut. Have a few large oaks that need to come down here, so I'll have some wood to test it out in here real soon.

Picture is with a 28" bar; running 3/8" chain. Would be better balanced with a 24" and that's what it will wear most of the time.

Had to order the screw that attaches the top cover to the jug; that got lost. Also got a better chain catcher and an NOS oil pump cover on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_7185.jpg
    IMG_7185.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7186.jpg
    IMG_7186.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Picked up another one - was on Facebook Marketplace for $300 and about an hour away. Came with 20" Stihl sprocket tip bar. Runs good. Should clean up nicely.

Seller was a good dude, but judging from all the yellow saws in his shed, he's more of a Mac guy.

Saw is similar to the original one in this thread - plastic tank, Bing carb, single port muffler. Earlier ones came with a mag tank, some allegedly came with Tilly carbs, and all were supposed to come with dual or triple port mufflers.

Serial number is 115824396. The original saw in this thread was 118721297.

267114029_978134716145909_1183781734649307975_n.jpg272005214_438181611332738_1708765035889165226_n.jpg271877814_1354555268316957_3356594800028658655_n.jpg271946605_4714921585250068_1618248621540329814_n.jpg

Back