New guy with free saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikb47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New guy from Idaho. Just picked up a saw for free from the old man. It's a Stihl 028 AV Super. It's a basket case but appears to be complete.

My dad said he got it for free from on old friend, and the repair shop said it would cost more to fix than it was worth. The guy also told him that he fired it up, cut for a little bit then she seized.

I'm thinking of dropping a new piston in it and see what she does. I've already got the cylinder all cleaned up.

He had a 24" bar on it which I think is a little excessive, I'll get a new 18 for it. Is there any other recommendations on things I should do to this thing. I'm sure it's been sitting at least 10 years like this.

A little about me; I'm a welder/mechanic for my day job, I ride dirt bikes as a hobby. I also work on all of my equipment. I've rebuilt several 2 and 4 stroke dirt bike engines, as well as a few small blocks and a couple diesel pickup engines. I'm excited to start my new project. Thanks for reading.

Well, I figure I'll go ahead and do crank seals while I'm in it. Here's what I've got.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You beat me to it rmh! I'll order the carb kit too. Thank you.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Welcome and it appears you have things fairly sorted.

028's are good saws, one of my firewood favorites. Good luck with it, shouldn't be much of a chore for you with your background. :rock: to many more saws...

Thanks for the warm welcome fella's. I just ordered all of the parts first thing this morning!

I've got a comparison question to ask. I've been using my father in laws 455 rancher. How does the 028 super compare? I think that 455 is a dog especially with the 20" bar it came with.
Thanks again!

Crappy picture but it looks like crank seals are leaking.

The super will cut up there with the 455.congratulations on the 028.those are some really good saws.I like them.got a bunch of them I need to work on rebuilding.

Ok so this thing has been sitting for quite a while with the jug off. How do I make sure that a bunch of crap hasn't gotten into the crank case. Just wash it out with gas?

I would split the cases and install new bearings if it's questionable.You can flush with gas or carb cleaner but small things can be hiding in the main bearings.

Alright that's what I was thinking. I'll have to build a case splitter.

Yeah I ordered a tune up kit with fuel line and also the impulse line. Thank you

Latest posts

Back