new, hello, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you want to operate certain types of farm machinery you have to be licenced to do it on a farm this is mainly due to insurance company and litigious lawyers. Also farmers have diversified in ways that mean the general public are to be found wandering all over some farms doing recreation things. maize mazes, watching lambing allsorts. With the general public around you have to have liability insurance if you aint got a certificate to operate things you wont get it. then you dont get the visitors and revenue falls.

In England there are loads of VW cars Golf (rabbit) polo lupo bora touran tourag etc etc

I can see it now!

I can see it now! If you get a bigger saw,you will be slapping each other silly to use it!Be safe,be happy!
ed

dekandgord said:
if you want to operate certain types of farm machinery you have to be licenced to do it on a farm this is mainly due to insurance company and litigious lawyers. Also farmers have diversified in ways that mean the general public are to be found wandering all over some farms doing recreation things. maize mazes, watching lambing allsorts. With the general public around you have to have liability insurance if you aint got a certificate to operate things you wont get it. then you dont get the visitors and revenue falls.

In England there are loads of VW cars Golf (rabbit) polo lupo bora touran tourag etc etc

Interesting. I wish they had the Lupo in the US; interesting little car. The Bora is the "Jetta" in the US. I wish the wouldn't have changed the Golf back to Rabbit in the US. We also have the Tourag, but not Touran or Polo. Is there the GTI or Passat in England?

we got the golf GTI and a Jetta (but think it a different model to yours else we wouldn't have the bora) we got TDI's too.

as for bikes, up to 50cc on a provisional license, up to 125cc with learner plates, but you need the compulsory CBT training first. then it gets complicated and depends on the size of bike you take your test on and age.

it gets so confusing i had to look it up to check before i posted, btw technically its the output and not cc that counts. this is from the licensing agency for anyone that is really interested:

A moped has a maximum design speed not exceeding 50 km/h (approx. 31 mph). It has an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc and can be moved by pedals, if first used before 1 August 1977. A learner motorcycle has an engine up to 125 cc and a power output not exceeding 11 kW
There are two types of full motorcycle licence:
a light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc
a standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h per hour. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike

Riders age 21 or over, or those who reach 21 before their two year restriction ends, have other options.
Direct access
After taking CBT and the theory test, the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. You may practice for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification provided:
you are accompanied at all times by an approved instructor on another bike and in radio contact
you wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions
Accelerated access
Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the two year period where they are restricted to maximum 25 kW machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35 kW. They may practice on bikes over 25 kW under the same practice conditions for direct access riders. You will revert to learner status while practicing (on a motorcycle greater than 25 kW) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

that may be more info that anyone would want, but as its so specific I thought i'd just put the lot in!
ps: moped-16yrs +, learner motorbike-17yrs +, but full driving license holders (17+) can ride a moped with no L plates and no bike test having passed the cbt!!

TDI's here too. For a moped, in my state, you can get a permit for it when you're 15. Learner's permit for driver's license when 15, driver's license when 16. Motorcycle permit when 16; just have to wear a helmet at all times, and no passengers, with no restrictions on bike size. I think you can get the motorcycle license at 18. I never knew there were so many motorcycle restrictions in England. Any pictures of the Oleo Mac saw?

no still no pictures, the saw needs a new chain the old one is short some teeth and sagging off the bar, took it apart a little today as it doesnt seem to be feeding chain oil throuigh. Any suggestions as to why ? And it does look tiny compared to some of the saws on here. Where is good to get a new chain? The guy in our local farm shop wants to see the old chain to count the links, does he have to do this? Dont they come as standard?

Gordon

dekandgord said:
no still no pictures, the saw needs a new chain the old one is short some teeth and sagging off the bar, took it apart a little today as it doesnt seem to be feeding chain oil throuigh. Any suggestions as to why ? And it does look tiny compared to some of the saws on here. Where is good to get a new chain? The guy in our local farm shop wants to see the old chain to count the links, does he have to do this? Dont they come as standard?

Gordon

No my friend, there are all kinds of differences, there is .325, .375 and .404 pitch measured by the lenght of three drivers divided by two, then the driver gauge, can be .050, .058 or .063, there are others, but we won't go there now. Then depending on the bar length is how you get the drive links needed to make the chain, My own saws range from 62 dl's to 184 dl's, see why he needs it now?
Andy

ok i think i need to take it in to the man !! do they just get stretched and sag over time then??
Why is the chain oil not feeding through any ideas?

dekandgord said:
ok i think i need to take it in to the man !! do they just get stretched and sag over time then??

Yes chains will stretch and bars will wear. A dull chain will wear even faster. Do a search on hear and get some research on how to tighten the chain properly.
The oil could be any number of things, clean out the tank good first for starters try to get something a little thinner to go through it. Others more knowledgable will come on latter with better info on this.
Andy

dekandgord said:

Gordon

If it makes you feel any better, my main saw, my 039 has an 18" bar on it. :D :D Big saws aren't always good; mine is good size for my firewood cutting. My biggest saw has a 24" bar on it, but that saw is just ridiculous to cut wood with (big old, heavy homelite that I will use for milling). So, not all of us have big saws. I want a STIHL MS460 Magnum, and want to sell my 039. All of my cutting is in hardwoods, and I want something that goes faster in big oak. 2 of my saws are 16" or less. One is 14". :rock:

sawinredneck said:
Yes chains will stretch and bars will wear. A dull chain will wear even faster. Do a search on hear and get some research on how to tighten the chain properly.
The oil could be any number of things, clean out the tank good first for starters try to get something a little thinner to go through it. Others more knowledgable will come on latter with better info on this.
Andy

I really want to see what model of Oleo Mac this saw is, and then possibly more help could be provided.

dekandgord said:

Remove the chain and pull the bar off, and clean out the groove between the rails where the chain rides on it. It will get mucked up with oil and sawdust and junk. A putty knife edge works well to run down the groove to get the stuff out of there.

Pay close attention to the oil holes in the bar where they line up with the oil hole in the powerhead (saw). Make sure those little holes have no crud in them so the oil can get to the bar and chain.

Good luck ;) , and welcome to AS.

Gary

back

hello again folks !

Sorry so long getting back, all been a bit hectic here !

Saw now has a new bar an oregon double guard and a new chain. The oiling is now ok as I have cleaned the holes in question.

the motor does take a while to warm up and doesnt like idling too much any suggestions?

See you all soon
Gordon

SteveH said:
Go ahead and post the photos when you're ready. We here like seeing them no matter what they are. Heck, we even like seeing a picture of someone's saw even if it is pretty much like our own. Some of us are a bit twisted, but harmless.

Yep, harmless............ or is that harmful?

british rules and law

someone asked about some of our strange regulations:

In the year 2006 , the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in England and said, "Once again, the earth has become wicked and over-populated, and I see the end of all flesh before me.

Build another Ark and save 2 of every living thing along with a few Good humans." He gave Noah the CAD drawings, saying, "You have 6 months to build the Ark before I start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights."

Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his Yard - but no Ark.
"Noah!" He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"
"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah, "but things have changed. I needed Building Regulations Approval. I've been arguing with the Fire Brigade about the need for a sprinkler system.

My neighbours claim that I should have obtained planning permission for building the Ark in my garden because it is development of the site even though in my view it is a temporary structure. We had to go to appeal to the Secretary of State for a decision.

Then the Department of Transport demanded a bond be posted for the Future costs of moving power lines and other overhead obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I told them that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing of it.
Getting the wood was another problem. All the decent trees have Tree Preservation Orders on them and we live in a Site of Special Scientific Interest set up in order to protect the spotted owl. I tried to convince the environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls - but no go!

When I started gathering the animals, the RSPCA sued me. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their will. They argued the accommodation was too restrictive, and it was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space. Then the County Council, the Environment Agency and the Rivers Authority ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.

I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Equal Opportunities Commission on how many Black and ethnic minority workers I'm supposed to hire for my building team . The trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to hire only CSCS accredited workers with Ark-building experience.

To make matters worse, Customs and Excise seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying to leave the country illegally with endangered species. So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least 10 years for me to finish this Ark."

Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow stretched across the sky. Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean you're not going to destroy the world?"

"No," said the Lord. "The government beat me to it."

Oleo Macs

Like all things Italian it takes a while to warm up and hates to idle

Have you checked the air filter and plug?

Latest posts

Back