New here - Jreds 2036T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new here. I just bought a "like new" JRed 2036T. I used the search feature on the site to find out some info and I see a lot of reference to the saw not being a "real" jred, etc.

I needed a saw for cutting firewood. Against my better judgement I went to Walmart and bought a Poulan Wood Shark!!!!! Just didn't have the coin. So, not even a week into owning the saw, the pulley with the pull start that attaches to the flywheel shredded on me! Luckily Wally world took it back. I then found my JRed used, made the arrangements and bought it. Friends told me they are great saws in general but I didn't have the time to research my particular model. Thought I was in the clear with a decent product until I saw some reference here as to them being "toys", etc. So far I am very happy with the saw.

Can anyone comment on any known problems with this model?

Thanks

There's lots of *opinions* on here, and this is a professional arborist site, so there are lots of arborists on here....sometimes, when they all get together in the lockers after gym class, they like to stand around and point at the guy with the smallest chainsaw....but I wouldn't worry about it too much! Sometimes their big chainsaws won't even start! :jester: :laugh:

If you like the saw, and it cuts well, then there you go. I have an old saying, quality 5 years old is still better than brand new junk! I have never run a Jred, but I hear they're good saws. Good luck! Justin

PS--if It wasn't for peer-pressure, I may have purchased a 510, instead of a 5100! hahaha ( I do love my saw though!)

Hi folks, I'm new here. I just bought a "like new" JRed 2036T. I used the search feature on the site to find out some info and I see a lot of reference to the saw not being a "real" jred, etc.

I needed a saw for cutting firewood. Against my better judgement I went to Walmart and bought a Poulan Wood Shark!!!!! Just didn't have the coin. So, not even a week into owning the saw, the pulley with the pull start that attaches to the flywheel shredded on me! Luckily Wally world took it back. I then found my JRed used, made the arrangements and bought it. Friends told me they are great saws in general but I didn't have the time to research my particular model. Thought I was in the clear with a decent product until I saw some reference here as to them being "toys", etc. So far I am very happy with the saw.

Can anyone comment on any known problems with this model?

Thanks

Don't worry about it. The saw has a checkered past, but If the saw runs good, it runs good. It just isn't the highest regarded arborist saw. You went from a poulan to a j-red. Be happy and cut wood.

It's just a regular saw. I don't think it's called a top handle, but it does have a handle on the top of the saw????

It's just a regular saw. I don't think it's called a top handle, but it does have a handle on the top of the saw????

Guess you refer to the 2036 Turbo, as there never where a 2036T.

The 2036 was made at the Poulan factory in the US (as was the Woodshark), and was Jonsereds cheapest offer at the time.......

I see now, you got one of these:
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/60e8949b9363984288256d01001af034?OpenDocument

AFAICT, it's my Husky 36 with a black and red color scheme. I wouldn't mind having one of those, it would look better sitting next to my Dolmar.
There's a picture of the 36 here, look familiar?
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/919a149e11116e2c88256b520014e3e7?OpenDocument
It's got a magnesium crankcase, and I think the crankshaft etc were made in Sweden. Lots of plastic in the chassis, however. Mine has a 13" bar and cuts pretty fast in wood up to 6-8", then I wish for more power. I'm pretty happy with mine, but wish it weighed 9lb instead of 10lb.

Make sure your muffler is tight. When they get loose, the exhaust melts a hole in the top of the bar oil tank.

Last edited:

The 2036 was made at the Poulan factory in the US (as was the Woodshark), and was Jonsereds cheapest offer at the time.......

When I saw this thread, I was going to post something to the effect, "There's a guy called SawTroll who's going to respond and will say some less than flattering things." :)

I own one but find it's the saw I reach for the least often. I use it if I'm bucking logs with a lot of dirt on them or trees around pastures that might have barbed wire embedded in them.

Depending what your needs are, it'll either be a nice little saw for occasional use or the bane of your existence if it needs to be a money maker or be solely relied upon to fuel your woodstove if you primarily/exclusively heat with wood.

Good Saw!

I used to own a 2036 Turbo and I seen nothing wrong with it. Don't be fooled by what other tell you that it was made in USA by Poulan and it is junk like the Wal-Mart models. I think a more accurate way to put it is it was assembled in the USA by Poulan. The important, major components in the engine were made in Sweden. The only reason I don't own the saw now is because I gave it back to my Dad who gave it to me a couple years ago when he bought a new Stihl MS250. He has since gave me his new MS250 (he hated it) and is very happy to have his Jonsered back. While I had the saw, I did do a mild muffler mod to it which really woke it up. For a 36cc saw, it is a good little runner.

My 2036 says made in Sweden and has seen a lot of abuse and runs like a champ. Great saw. :cheers:

Thanks to everyone who responded. So far so good. I use it every night to cut up some wood and no issues yet. It's lasted longer than the brand new Poulan did!

I use to sell alot of 2036 and 2040 pretty good rig! Take the baffle out of the muffler and stand back they really wake up when you do that!

Back