new husky 350 rebuild,bad boot ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
Yet a couple more have found thier way here and after finding the same problem time after time i think there has to be a reason for it..
now how many have NOT seen a 350 with scored exhaust side ??

So today i fixed one of those,had a good P&C off another the "muffler" fell off ?? heard that before ?
well,had to tap a muffler bolt hole up a size and put in a new ring but all was good.

pix and then observations on the problem.

attachment.php

Saw looks like it died on it's first tank of gas..
lean siezed, OR ??

attachment.php

is that NASCAR holographic sticker denote a special addition or something ??
looks like it belongs there.

attachment.php

It didnt come with a B&C so i had to find SOMETHING !!

anyway,this time when i removed the cyl i was very carefull and and looked at the boot coming off.
i unbolt the carb and leave the boot on cyl when i pull these.
lifting on the cyl i could see the boot move and lose it's seal easilly.
basically the boot just fell off it was on so loose..
i ALWAYS cut the plastic clamp off and use a sthil metal hose clamp.
so i'm thinking,bad boot seal,fried saw..why so many same thing ??
is this a common problem with a well known result that i am just realizing after getting hit on the head with it so many times or am i missing something ?? like maybe set lean from the factory ??

i learn so much everyday because i forget so much every night :)

Yeah I see a lot of huskys with fried pistons because of the plastic clamp. I think they have done something better on the newer saws, or so I've heard. LOL

A common issue but one that had been resolved over 4 years ago. Albeight many 300 series saw are still working fine with the plastic clamp style boot. It is primarily due to an age/exposure issue, as the plastic clamp showed its faults after time and exposure to the elements, and regretfully was never within the warranty time frame of the saws for the most part.

Its difficult to convince a saw owner to swap over to the metal clamp and new inlet when there saw is working fine already. Percentage wise with respect to the failure rate, most likely not very high, but on the radar hence the multiple service bulletins.

Yeah I see a lot of huskys with fried pistons because of the plastic clamp. I think they have done something better on the newer saws, or so I've heard. LOL

man that avatar is disgusting !!!!
go back to the baboon but,looks more like you !! LOL !!
(hi randy)

Excellent timing! I used my 350 last weekend and it wouldn't idle down and was running too high an rpm. It wouldn't tune normally either- typical air leak. I shut it down and had to brush and limb the oak with the 660. ugh! Anyway, I'll check the boot and install a metal clamp regardless. Thanks for the heads up!

What stihl metal clamp would I use for a 346 and 357?

Thanks,

durn !! you had to ask !!
now i forgot and what do i do next time i need one ??
there is actually a whole bunch that will work..
master mindless will remember,i think,maybe,,RANDY !!!!!
probly 038.. take your boot to the stihl shop,ask for one and check it out..

Thanks Ron I am having the same problem with a 350 I am playing with.Now I can fix it!I was going to replace the boot.All I need is a clamp. :rock: The muffler problem is usual I think?I have 2 I have run the past 3 yrs. Both mufflers have come loose at one time or another.I put lock washers on the bolts last year.Never came loose after that?So Far!

Back