New Husqvarna 572 today - first impressions and thoughts about kit saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought a 572xp this week!
For work, difference is I'll probably never get to use it. I purchase saws for the people who work for my region of the state .
I've used one on a couple occasions and they are a great saw after about 10 tanks of mix run through them , but it certainly didn't blow my socks off compared to the venerable 372xp oe .
Purchasing equipment for others puts you in a tough spot such as , are they going to run it over with a dump truck? Can we service it? If we can't how is dealer support? How much bitchin do I want to hear if its not working?
Personal use I think its a good saw ,but the truck doesn't care what color it is when they get crushed.
haha yeah, but I think the co. you work for has bigger issues than saws if they're hiring guys this careless. If they are so careless they'll run saws over, then how could you trust to even bring them to a work site at all? I think the person who's doing the hiring needs to be replaced. :D

As for knock off saws, if they were just as good as the real saws, then the real ones prices would be forced to go way down........and they're not. This tell us all we need to know.;)

haha yeah, but I think the co. you work for has bigger issues than saws if they're hiring guys this careless. If they are so careless they'll run saws over, then how could you trust to even bring them to a work site at all? I think the person who's doing the hiring needs to be replaced. :D

As for knock off saws, if they were just as good as the real saws, then the real ones prices would be forced to go way down........and they're not. This tell us all we need to know.;)
A lot of company's are tickled pink if they can find men to show up on time (If it all) ready to go to work let alone worrying about what they can actually do or what they're going to destroy throughout the course of the day.

A lot of company's are tickled pink if they can find men to show up on time (If it all) ready to go to work let alone worrying about what they can actually do or what they're going to destroy throughout the course of the day.
I'm aware. This is why it's so easy to always win the jobs, no matter the price, because homeowners value quality. It's like taking candy from a baby and some of these co's don't even know they're not getting outbid. They're getting out serviced.;)

I had been wanting a 572 for some time so brought one home today. Gota say it is an incredible saw. It is very powerful and super smooth with little to no vibration. It runs circles around my recently purchased MS 400. Really amazed with this saw. It is my new Ferrari. If you have been thinking about one, get it before another price increase.

In the past, I have built a number of FarmerTec saws, and overall, they run well with some OEM parts. Given how well the factory saws run and their anticipated durability, I am thinking the real value is in purchasing pro saws and taking care of them. I do not regret my time and money spent on compete parts kits, I leaned a lot and had a lot of fun. When you think about your real cost of assembling a complete parts saw, including bar and chain, after market cylinder and piston, OEM bearings, two saw kits will cost what a new factory pro saw costs.

Jon
Grats with the new Ferrari.

About the kit saws I would agree with the ones I really need and depend on to keep warm in the winter, I think buying my MS241 this winter is the best investment I ever did and I would not consider any kit saw in this regard.
But I like to be able to mill some spruce every second year or so, and I also enjoy using a 70cc at the sawbuck though I dont need it.
I did buy a new Dolmar 7910 at some point for that purpose and I loved that saw, but I didnt feel like spoiling the new shiny thing so I just continued using my 038/381 kit saw instead - after all I had pulled the childhood problems out of it by then and it was perfectly dependable, it just works - allways, still does.
I have sold my 7910 now because I don't need it.

Now I'm making a 372, I dont need it but I just love to gather different parts for the build, a few OEM parts but also other stuff like a crankshaft made in Turkey, bearings from Italy or Japan, crankseals from Taiwan, a carburettor from Ireland, and perhaps some other alternative parts so that I can evaluate and pick and choose.
Perhaps doing some modifications along the way to make parts fit better, porting the cylinder and make the oilpump work better if I think it needs to.
If I bought a 572; I would buy it, look at it, try it, and then put it on the shelf where it would spend most of its life as prime realestate for spider mom.

RIMG0002.JPG RIMG0147.JPG

Well a bunch of young guys and equipment... stuff is replaceable, and they're park guys not lumberjacks.
I think alot of residential tree guys are in a similar position. We higher young enthusiastic people without alot of experience, so everyone gets a screwup ,we just don't want it to be a trend.

Grats with the new Ferrari.

About the kit saws I would agree with the ones I really need and depend on to keep warm in the winter, I think buying my MS241 this winter is the best investment I ever did and I would not consider any kit saw in this regard.
But I like to be able to mill some spruce every second year or so, and I also enjoy using a 70cc at the sawbuck though I dont need it.
I did buy a new Dolmar 7910 at some point for that purpose and I loved that saw, but I didnt feel like spoiling the new shiny thing so I just continued using my 038/381 kit saw instead - after all I had pulled the childhood problems out of it by then and it was perfectly dependable, it just works - allways, still does.
I have sold my 7910 now because I don't need it.

Now I'm making a 372, I dont need it but I just love to gather different parts for the build, a few OEM parts but also other stuff like a crankshaft made in Turkey, bearings from Italy or Japan, crankseals from Taiwan, a carburettor from Ireland, and perhaps some other alternative parts so that I can evaluate and pick and choose.
Perhaps doing some modifications along the way to make parts fit better, porting the cylinder and make the oilpump work better if I think it needs to.
If I bought a 572; I would buy it, look at it, try it, and then put it on the shelf where it would spend most of its life as prime realestate for spider mom.

View attachment 970609 View attachment 970610
I have had many of the saws you do - OEM 341, 038 Magnum and 461, along with kit saws 372, 460, 440 and 660. The kit saws are fun to put together, improve, and learn on. It is nice to work on them on a stormy Winter day. - Also give us an idea on the design of the older saws. One of the points I would like to make is the new factory saws, especially the pro models, are very good now in power, running, efficiency, durability, and low emissions.

Very few hobbies are cost effective. When you add up the extras to bring up a kit saw to decent reliability, along with bar and chain, you will probably be in the neighborhood of $500.00. Two kit builds will equal a new 572. Ever try to sell a saw you built - its not easy to sell when you disclose it is a FarmerTec. I have built the kits to learn and for the satisfaction of making a decent running tool. To date, all my kit builds are still running well. Some have needed more OEM parts than others

Jon

I have had many of the saws you do - OEM 341, 038 Magnum and 461, along with kit saws 372, 460, 440 and 660. The kit saws are fun to put together, improve, and learn on. It is nice to work on them on a stormy Winter day. - Also give us an idea on the design of the older saws. One of the points I would like to make is the new factory saws, especially the pro models, are very good now in power, running, efficiency, durability, and low emissions.

Very few hobbies are cost effective. When you add up the extras to bring up a kit saw to decent reliability, along with bar and chain, you will probably be in the neighborhood of $500.00. Two kit builds will equal a new 572. Ever try to sell a saw you built - its not easy to sell when you disclose it is a FarmerTec. I have built the kits to learn and for the satisfaction of making a decent running tool. To date, all my kit builds are still running well. Some have needed more OEM parts than others

Jon
Well as you said a hobby is often not very cost effective, I could save my spendings that I do on parts and buy a 572, no problem.
The fact is I would probably spend the same money on parts if I had to because it gives me so many hours of interesting fun and joy.
The Dolmar 7910 I had was nice, but it was a shelf queen. It didnt mean anything to me other than that. My 038 mean something to me; I built it, I am satisfied with how it turned out, I care for it, I want to use it even though I dont need to just because I like to hear it run - its my child, I have stored my memories in to it.

I could never sell any kit saw, around here in my part of the world very few people need anything bigger than a 50cc, and the very few people that actually do need a 70cc or bigger saw would never buy anything less than the absolute best - preferably new in a certified store. That's what I would do in that case.
If I was to sell it considered both the money I've put in it - but also the hours, care and love; well that would be at least twice the cost of a 572.
Those saws will go to a garage sale or thrown in the trash when I'm dead and gone, thats perfectly alright with me.

To me some saws feel lighter than their actual weight. The MS400C I just picked up feels lighter than the 361 it replaced even though it's not.
This. I've got a POS Poulan that - on top of not running, feels like it weighs way more than... can't remember which one, but one of my other saws that's *supposed* to weigh almost exactly the same. I assume it's a balance thing, handle placement, something.

But when you're 5' tall and 130-ish pounds, even in a small saw, extra weight, perceived or otherwise, is a big deal.

So, am I getting this right - these are actual complete saws - (besides the bar and chain) - but disassembled?

When I was a kid (a *very* long time ago) - my Dad used to buy whatever was the newer tech - as a Heath Kit or similar. Because he wanted to know how they worked. Sometimes he'd doll them up a bit, but basically, he followed the directions - and then he could fix ones he *didn't* build.

I have - as someone mentioned above - a certain amount of issue with intellectual property theft - but given that I wouldn't be selling the thing, I'm tempted to get one just to have an in depth feel for chainsaw guts. It's always nice to see what they looked like before you broke them...

As an old guy once said to me - "I can fix anything but a broken heart." - but it's easier if you've seen how it's supposed to go in the first place. :>"

Why would anyone in their right mind purposefully purchase a Chicom made saw? I realize the global economy forces us (the consumer) to rely on a plethora of imported products. If we are going to have to buy foreign made products, let us at least buy products from countries that don't threaten to destroy us. If you really want to work on saws, purchase a homeowner saw or a garage sale saw and have at it!

Why would anyone in their right mind purposefully purchase a Chicom made saw? I realize the global economy forces us (the consumer) to rely on a plethora of imported products. If we are going to have to buy foreign made products, let us at least buy products from countries that don't threaten to destroy us. If you really want to work on saws, purchase a homeowner saw or a garage sale saw and have at it!
I am of the exact same opinion.

You have US citizens on those saws, or illegal immigrants? Taxed payroll or under the table cash? Insured or just change the name on the truck when necessary? Not judging, just asking for context.
I don’t have any employees, I run a small firewood business selling 200 cords or so a year. I do keep books and pay taxes, and I’ve never had to change the name on my truck lol

Why buy nine of something you can only use one of at a time? This ill logic seems rampant within the China saw community...

Cause we have a bastardized form of capitalism (globally speaking), which emphasizes monetary gain at any/all costs and which refuses to recognize that all things are finite and interwoven. Or, so to speak, there can never be "enough" or a point of satiation.

But I'm pretty sure you were asking rhetorically, not seriously.

; )

Latest posts

Back