new hydra @ treestuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle goddard

Original HitchHiker
Reaction score
I didnt get a response on the 101. Has anyone used this injunction with the Hitchhiker. I see that it would be great for drt. How about srt. Would the swivel action interfere with the HH.

Using a shackle would not be an approved method. That looks like a screw-in shackle pin, without any safeties. Not ANSI, it could come apart and drop you like a rock.

Furthermore, the rope sliding past it, either in either the up or down direction will have a natural tendency to unscrew the shackle.

There is a reason that screw-locking 'biners are not encouraged, and your shackle has even fewer safeties than a screw-locking carabiner.

Using a shackle would not be an approved method. That looks like a screw-in shackle pin, without any safeties. Not ANSI, it could come apart and drop you like a rock.

Furthermore, the rope sliding past it, either in either the up or down direction will have a natural tendency to unscrew the shackle.

There is a reason that screw-locking 'biners are not encouraged, and your shackle has even fewer safeties than a screw-locking carabiner.

I am not sure of your reference to the ANSI standards? 8.1.12 simply states that it "shall be securely tightened to ensure that they will not unintentionally open during use." Using a wrench as I do certainly meets that standard, furthermore if one desires, a safety wire may be placed in the pin to absolutely prevent it from coming loose. There are many places shackles are used for life support with a pin that should be "securely tightened" like this. A climbing harness for example.
As far as the "rope rubbing", if you watched the video I note that the orientation of the pin and any torsion applied by the rope during descent, will only serve to TIGHTEN the shackle, not to loosen it. In the ascent there is no appreciable torsion on the pin.

I use it!

Here it is with a HAAS, a Hitchhiker and a Chest harness all neatly attached to the Bridge.

1384009_10202335205607608_338120136_n.jpg

I like the Rook but I don't remember if the steel biner fits well. The rubber sleeves on the Hydra/Rook are pretty tight and it works best with the Rock O.
The steel biner that comes with the HH actually fits a little loose in the Hydra holes, I guess that makes sense as it is stronger and requires less dimension to get the strength.

Just noticed your picture Nick so you answered the question already.

I'm not really sure where ANSI comes in on all that. I do know that you will probably be fine, particularly if you are screwing it in tight.

Myself, sometimes I raise my DdRT rig into a tree on a simple 1/2" screw link. No safeties, but it damn sure won't break or come undone, either.

I have also had a tri-act petzl carabiner come unscrewed and propped open right at my harness. Rope friction made it happen. No bad results, I caught the mistake, and just moved on.

I just think it doesn't hurt to point out likely safety problems when I see them. I see the shackle as a likely problem.

Latest posts

Back