New Jotul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del that is a beautiful picture very nice stove. I bought a Blaze King last fall works great but it is in the kitchen and I cannot watch it from my living room. I am jealous !

Thanks Jeff. I've never seen a Blaze King in person but have seen lots of photos and from what is said they are a most excellent wood stove.

We call our F600CB 'Yo' or 'Big Yo' as in half of the word yo-yo. Yo sits in our downstairs open floor plan 28ft X 43ft area.

We are 100% wood heat and do not have a backup heating system.

Our Jotul F3CB (Little Yo) is sitting on a hearth in this same room but is not connect to the chimney. We'd like to hook up Little Yo some day but our 3 chimneys date back to just after the civil war and lining one was enough expense. We bought Little Yo in 1994 and moved to this house in 2000 where we used if for a couple of years but our floor plan cried out for a larger wood stove. Bought Big Yo in 2003 I believe. Big Yo has about double the heat output of Little Yo. Many times in early fall and late spring I wish Little Yo were hooked up. It would be perfect for those times.

Big Yo takes 24 inch wood and I cut to 23 inches.

Little Yo takes up to 18 inch wood.

We don't use any fans or blowers in our wood heating system and enjoy it being quiet.

That's the nice thing about a Blaze King, don't need to keep an eye on it. Set it and forget it!

....and that's a good thing. Man those Blaze Kings are ugly stoves. :laughing:

It is a pleasure to keep an eye on a wood stove that is a work of art!

Just stirring the pot.

....and that's a good thing. Man those Blaze Kings are ugly stoves. :laughing:

It is a pleasure to keep an eye on a wood stove that is a work of art!

Just stirring the pot.
Well I agree, our new Jotul is really the focal point of the living room and easy on the eyes much more so than a black steel glass door stove made by (pick one they are all ugly). Plus Jotul's airwash actually works and the glass is self cleaning so it's pleasant to view the fire no matter what stage of burn the stove is in.

Glass stays clean on my Blaze King. Not that I really care though, it's an appliance. Much the same I don't pull a chair up to the clothes washer or fridge.

I have had a few different stoves in my life, but this is the most " efficient". The dealer was telling me about how few ppm actually leave the stove how it is very high in efficiency ratings yada yada. I told him much to his surprise and later my chagrin I could not care less about efficiency or ppm particulate matter up the flue. I told him my old , "Old Mill" did not hold enough wood to suit me and I had to stay up till about 9pm to fill it for the night so it would last till 6 am the next day.
Now 9pm for me is like partying all night ,..I would rather be in bed by 8-8:30. He said if you want to fill the stove at 3pm and have it go strong till 8 or 9 am the next day, then efficiency should matter a lot because efficiency is how these long burn times happen. I filled the stove with small limb wood at 3:30 yesterday it was about 40* out with a medium wind blowing. I got up at 8 this morning and there was about 6" of coals in there. We have an oil furnace " Forced Hot Air" we hate the thing but if we have to go away for 2 weeks you nee back up. Last year we burned 50 gallons of oil.
I have not started burning what most would consider the "good" firewood yet we have been running the stove 24-7 since 2nd week in October and I am just burning limb wood / Biscuit wood. Most of it is 2" or less in diameter. I bring all my trees to the yard tree length with all limbs bigger than 1 1/2" stay attached to the tree. Then once I am at the yard I cut off the limbs and pile them separately that is what I have been burning so far. So starting in another day or so I will begin using the " good" wood the much bigger splits 16" long. The stove will take 20" if you load it east to west 16" if you load it north south which is what I do. I love the fact that I utilize the small limb wood so many up here do not, I have heated almost 2 months on just limbs. Mostly Beach.
I belong to a Blaze King Thread in another forum mainly to learn about running the stove as she was a big step up from my old " Old Mill" I am not a fan-boy for anything I just like stuff that works well and so far this stove works very well.

Nobody says what the price is, will it take 40years to pay for itself?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

Which one. My Jotul was right at $3000 and code in MD requires stainless liner so total was $5000. My old Russo, I bought in 87, was $1300 and heated the house from then till now, 3-5 cord of Oak per year. In my development we have heat pumps and my electric bill is 1/4 to 1/3 of what my non wood burning neighbors are, so I think it pays it's way pretty quick. I have a couple farms and a wooded lot I can cut standing dead wood for free, and I'm retired so my time is free, so I don't add the cost of wood to the bill, Joe.

Ok thats good to know thanks, I'm now wondering if i will "have to" replace my liner or not someday? As my old woodburner is at leas 20yrs. Old and i bought it from another guy "used". I'm also not anticipating replacing it anytime soon as it works maybe not as efficiently as these new ones. I'll have to start learning about ppm and efficiency do these new ones have some sort of catalytic converter?

Which one. My Jotul was right at $3000 and code in MD requires stainless liner so total was $5000. My old Russo, I bought in 87, was $1300 and heated the house from then till now, 3-5 cord of Oak per year. In my development we have heat pumps and my electric bill is 1/4 to 1/3 of what my non wood burning neighbors are, so I think it pays it's way pretty quick. I have a couple farms and a wooded lot I can cut standing dead wood for free, and I'm retired so my time is free, so I don't add the cost of wood to the bill, Joe.
When you say stainless liner I'm guessing in the chimney,right?

Nobody says what the price is, will it take 40years to pay for itself?

My Brown Majolica F3 CB was $2600.00, albeit pricey it was worth every penny. You cannot own a more user friendly stove design, the freestanding model Jotul's with a lower ash clean out door and drawer use a slotted cast floor grate to burn on. There's zero charcoal waste in these stoves, the ash falls down into the pan and you're getting all the heat from the remaining charcoal unlike fire brick lined stoves you shovel out the front.

There's very little charcoal build up at all in these Jotul's unlike the brick lined box store junk you constantly have to keep raking charcoal to the front of the stoves to try and get it to burn. The front cast retainer grate has air pass throughs in it to allow the airwash to flow down and through the grate allowing air under the fire.

These stoves are amazing to clean out and refire, there's always a cup of warm/hot charcoal left 8 hours later and a few small splits across the top combined with leaving the ash door open to allow air to flow up from the slots in the cast floor grate will get a fire going again in about a minutes time reliably. I don't even have to make much in the way of kindling anymore, you don't need it if you have some 2" splits handy.

The secondary burn system and airwash put cheap box store steel stoves to shame, and there's absolutely no smoking out the door when opened and the glass stays clean no matter how low the airwash damper is turned down.

It's nice to look at to, I'm retired now and spend more time around it so it was a nice upgrade.
F3CB7_zpsykimwen4.jpg

Ok thats good to know thanks, I'm now wondering if i will "have to" replace my liner or not someday? As my old woodburner is at leas 20yrs. Old and i bought it from another guy "used". I'm also not anticipating replacing it anytime soon as it works maybe not as efficiently as these new ones. I'll have to start learning about ppm and efficiency do these new ones have some sort of catalytic converter?

Most of these newer inserts have specific requirements in regards to maintaining a good draft. 85% of the chimney for our insert is inside the living space of the house, but due to the flue tile size, we still had to install an insulated liner.

Say, is it possible to buy this stove with the loading door mounted on the left rather than on the right as shown here? My hearth is set up for the logs to come in on the left side (when facing the front). Anybody know? TIA.

Nope. The F600 is only available with the side door on the right. Like was mentioned the F500 Oslo side door is on the left.

F600=82,000btu
F500=70,000btu

Nope. The F600 is only available with the side door on the right. Like was mentioned the F500 Oslo side door is on the left.

F600=82,000btu
F500=70,000btu
Thank you for the information. Seems rather restrictive that the the F600 is unavailable with the left side for loading wood on the left. For that kind of money, it would seem that this option should be available. That's MHO.

Thank you for the information. Seems rather restrictive that the the F600 is unavailable with the left side for loading wood on the left. For that kind of money, it would seem that this option should be available. That's MHO.

There would be nice if there were no more to it than just a side panel casting. There would also have to be changes made to inside secondary air heating passages plus a main air input casting change.

It would drive a high price even higher especially if you want such model changes up and down the model line.

Say, is it possible to buy this stove with the loading door mounted on the left rather than on the right as shown here?
Many of the Vermont Castings are top load, as is one Jotul model if that works for you. We looked at the Jotul and it had a rather small opening for loading due to a secondary door underneath the lid.
VC Defiant
IMG_2562.jpg

Many of the Vermont Castings are top load, as is one Jotul model if that works for you. We looked at the Jotul and it had a rather small opening for loading due to a secondary door underneath the lid.
VC Defiant
View attachment 542230
Your Defiant brings back pleasant memories. When living in CT, I bought a cast iron Defiant in 1976. No glass doors, but it produced more heat than I knew what to do with. I had to leave it with the house. That one accepted a 24" log and the loading door was on the left. Whale of a stove.

Back