New Logging and Lumber Website

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtn Horselogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here but I thought I would post my website and see if anyone had any thoughts or comments. This is my first foray into the wild woolly world of websites, so don't be to hard on me. :) I am interested in improving it though.

www.sinkingcreekhorselogging.com

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I log with skidders and almost sub'd out some logging work in Wisconsin years ago to horse loggers (amish) up there. What do you charge for contract cutting.

For instance around here, cut, skid and bucked is $100 per 1000 for normal stuff and extra $15 per 1000 if loaded on a truck.

I have never worked for an hourly wage, so I don't know what or how to log based on that. What do or how do you charge ................ or are you just buying the timber and you have your time and labor invested in the harvesting?

Just wondering.

The website looks good,

Sam

Always good to see young men out in the world with a plan!
I like it.

Small tip for the site:
Widen your page a bit to make more room for the navbar.

For instance around here, cut, skid and bucked is $100 per 1000 for normal stuff and extra $15 per 1000 if loaded on a truck.

I have never worked for an hourly wage, so I don't know what or how to log based on that. What do or how do you charge ................ or are you just buying the timber and you have your time and labor invested in the harvesting?

Just wondering.

The website looks good,

Sam

To preface, my actual business is not logging in the conventional sense, meaning my primary objective and purpose is not to cut, skid and haul timber to a mill. My primary goal is to help landowners meet their forest management goals, and sometimes (even a lot of the time) that means cutting and skidding. So I am not trying to compete with conventional loggers who work by the thousand or something similar. That approach often leads to the landowner being viewed simply as a barrier between you and getting timber to cut. So I structure my business to bring the landowner into a positive, long-term relationship with the practitioner (me). This is not to say that I think that other approaches are wrong, I just want it to be clear that I am in a different business than conventional approaches.

So with that being said, when I do work by the MBF I usually get around $250/mbf. I am helping no one if I can't make a decent living: I'm definitely not helping myself, and I'm not helping the landowner because if I am not in business 10 years from now my whole approach to management becomes a non-option, because I am promoting long-term management perspectives.

In certain situations working by the hour is a better option, because then I have no motivation to either high grade or work faster and potentially put certain sensitive practices by the wayside. I get at least $45/hr for my team and chainsaws.

Horse logging has many strengths, but high production is not one of them. And to make a go of it I need to structure my operation around their inherent strengths, not high production. That is not to say that I can't get a lot done with horses. In certain situations I have cut and skidded 4-5mbf per day for several weeks. With horses being so cheap to operate (daily cost of around $3-4) there is a pretty decent profit margin. But I can't base my business on those figures, or else I risk compromising my main goal.

So there's a little about how I price things. Hope I made myself clear.....

Hey Rick, good to see you on here too.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I do also sometimes log on shares. It all depends on what the landowner goals are. If I do work on shares, there are several ways that I have done it, 30% LO, 70% me. Pay 30% on logs bringing over $0.30/bf. Or maybe a more extensive sliding scale system, the more the wood is worth, the more I'd pay the LO.

As to who the people are that I work for, and how do I contact them, there's a lot I could say. First, I am still working on connecting with the right customers. I have worked with a number and I intend to keep up the search. Really a matter of marketing and getting your name out there, and so defining your work that it appeals to people who are in higher income brackets. One reason I define my business as forest services, not logging. The area I worked in while in WY happens to have lots of wealthy absentee LOs which was a perfect niche for horse logging.

So that could probably be seen as a vague answer to the question, but it's all I really now. I am still looking to define the exact demographic that I am targeting. But while I am doing that, there seems to be certain good projects popping up.

Thanks,

Yeah, good to see you here. There aren't a whole lot of boards to go to in our racket.

Sounds like you have found the right way to make it. Hope you share those demographic secrets when you finalize them.

The challenge here in NH is the log value. It is so low now it doesn't leave enough of a margin to negotiate anywhere near the returns you describe. For example, spruce/fir logs, the mainstay of northern New England loggers, are worth somewhere around $200/mbf after trucking and timber tax. Every landowner I've ever cut for expects something more than the thirty/seventy split you mention. Getting landowners/foresters to subsidize a harvest has been out of the question.

So you can see what prompted my question.

Back