New Logsplitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

never2muchwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I sure thought I owed it to everyone to post this. I decided less than a week ago on what logsplitter to purchase. You guys helped me get that all figured out. I was first favoring a three point splitter, and I sure love a couple of the set up's that I first saw on this site, but in the end, I decided to keep my compact tractor "freed up" to help carry or pile the wood, and I went with a 20 ton Ramsplitter. This has a Honda 5.5 HP engine, I got the 4 way wedge with it, and I asked Doug to put a log lift on it since I've had a few back surgeries in the past, I thought that might come in handy....and I picked it up from Doug yesterday. Wow! What an amazing splitter. last time I cut wood was at least 10-15 yrs back, and I split it all by hand. I brought this home last night, and immediately put it to work, and I had more split in 15 minutes than I could do by hand in way over an hour. Even with the engine at about a medium idle, this splitter went through the wood like it wasn't even there. I can't say enough good about it, and boy am I glad I got the log lift! More than anything though, I want to thank Doug at Ramsplitter. Doug was so patient, even though I write long emails, ask a ton of questions, & take a long time to make up my mind, he was more patient with me than anyone ever has been. And when it came time to buy it, It took only about 5 days start to finish and it was ready to pick up! Thanks Doug, I'll be back! Really good customer service is pretty hard to find anymore, but I get the feeling Dougs always been this easy to work with. Thanks everyone on here for your opinions on what has worked for you because that made my decision more informed! Here's a picture of the splitter:
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp135/mtj54/newsplitter2-20-09.jpg

That is one nice looking splitter!! Congratulations and enjoy it.

WOW:jawdrop:

That thing is pretty, beautiful, clean and NO scratches!:)
Now get out there and scratch it up!
Congrats on the new splitter, I need one, I'm jealous, enjoy!:clap:
:greenchainsaw:

Actually, last night I got home about 5 pm and took a few pics of it, then went to splitting and about 11 pm my wife peeked her head out the door and told me the neighbors might not appreciate the noise. It was running quiet as can be but I think her point was folks might think I was crazy if they saw me splitting in the dark! I'd think she'd be used to that by now :) So she's already got some scratches, and more to come later today!

Nice looking splitter, now for the big question. What did it run you?

Here's your picture posted

Very nice! Is the color custom to match your tractor?

newsplitter2-20-09.jpg

Last edited:
very nice splitter.

i've never heard of them but i'm impressed.

if there is a full moon,i split till midnight sometimes and run the 372xp as much as possible to annoy the neighbors.if they don't like it,they can move right back to the city.they have learned to keep their mouths shut and stay off the crybaby hotline.

if there is a full moon,i split till midnight sometimes and run the 372xp as much as possible to annoy the neighbors.if they don't like it,they can move right back to the city.they have learned to keep their mouths shut and stay off the crybaby hotline.

How did you teach them that? :clap:

I live in the middle of corn fields. Across the road are grain bins and a dryer. When the dryer is running you can't hear anything outside. However, that's only during harvest time which only last a few weeks. My nearest neighbor is ~ 1/4 mile or so from me. They're farmers so noise doesn't bother them. They make a lot of it! I don't have the city buses shaking my house any more or the cars going by with their "music" cranked with the subs a booming at ALL hours of the day/night!

Dan

it's very simple.for me anyway.

How did you teach them that? :clap:

I live in the middle of corn fields. Across the road are grain bins and a dryer. When the dryer is running you can't hear anything outside. However, that's only during harvest time which only last a few weeks. My nearest neighbor is ~ 1/4 mile or so from me. They're farmers so noise doesn't bother them. They make a lot of it! I don't have the city buses shaking my house any more or the cars going by with their "music" cranked with the subs a booming at ALL hours of the day/night!

Dan

what ever issue they complain about,at least triple it after the complaint.even the cops and zoning have gotten the picture.complaining makes it worse.leave him alone and it will be over a lot quicker.

Actually I was just kidding about the neighbors, If there is ever a competition about having fantastic neighbors I'm pretty sure I'll have that one licked! In fact, one of my neighbors put in an OWB last year and that's what got this whole thing started and I couldn't be happier. The next closest neighbor stopped by the other day, he saw a post I had made on craigslist looking for a wood source, and he told me I would be welcome to come cut anything I wanted off his home farm, with no conditions whatsoever! And he added that the wood source will easily outlive me! That tells ya all about how great my neighbors are!

Far as how much the splitter cost-I'm going to let guys do their own homework there, don't want everyone taking everything into consideration and thinking they're high priced. They're not, they are right in the same ballpark with everyone else, and Doug offers just about every option you can imagine, so it can be as expensive or as reasonable as you'd want. But I do think it's a lot better built than the one I could get in my local farm store, no doubt. Doug has prices on his website though so it's no secret. The way I look at it, I'll be cutting for a longggg time, and for the ease of it all, it didn't cost me anything!

On the color, that's one of things I liked to--they have at least 4 or 5 color choices and I have no doubt if you wanted something different you could get it. I did have Doug paint this JD green to match the tractor, not so much because I'm a JD guy but the next neighbor up the road loves his IH tractors--so a little more green in the neighborhood balances things out a little :)

On making improvements, there are so many idea's and such out there, wow! Where do you start! I can't see where I can personally improve this, but add to it....oh yea. This one got me going, and remember the posts last week with the self propelled splitters, when I was checking out those links and as much as I like the self propelled, that might be a project for myself down the road when I have more time--but man, I'm not sure I can put off making some kind of an elevator that the splits fall off this and right into that & piled to save handling the wood once. So if anyone has made theirselves a small, say around 12 foot tall or long elevator has any idea's for me I'd sure love to hear them!

I'm actually already in the process of making a few "carts"...planning on making a few metal wood carriers that are your basic 16" wide, 4-6 ft tall and 8 ft long and having a setup in back where I can use the same wheels for every carrier--that way, I can fill them up right after splitting-and leave them outside all summer, and when winter starts back them in the garage whereever they fit, and when they need filling, hook em' up and go fill them! I haven't bought it yet-but I think I'm going to install a new woodburning fireplace to heat the house--that way my wife doesn't have to worry about an OWB when I'm out of town in the winter...and she'll get her fire as well that she likes. Too many idea's, too little time! Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

:agree2::agree2: I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way:hmm3grin2orange:

Nothing like a new "toy" - "tool" Oh, you know what I mean - :clap: The only thing I'd add to it is a tray/grate catcher after the wedge. All those extra halves, quarters, etc - You don't have to bend over & pick them up to resplit. They're right there on the tray.

What is the working height of that?
I am torn, build another one, or get an American or Ramsplitter.
I cannot find anyone who has a bad word to say about American, I have found some unhappy people with Ram though.
Ram has also taken down the prices on their web site :censored:!!!
Ram is a HECK OF A LOT CHEAPER, and factor in shipping, well, it kind of seals the deal if they are building them better!
Stil on the fence about all of this, so I am looking VERY foreward to hearing your thoughts about it.

Back