New look for old wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdotis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the new look for the old wood hauler. It has been sitting for a few years (8) and I finally got the time to get it running again. It still has a miss on the number one cylinder but that will get looked at in a few weeks. But as you can see the paint had to be changed. No old wood hauler can have any baby blue on it. So I took the wire brush to it and got off most of the loose paint and rust. Then after much searching (flat paint is hard to find) gave it a good old coat of olive drab green. Once that was on I cut out some stencils to make the camo marks. Spray cans of brown and tan were used for the splash marks. I think it looks ok. I did not want it to look like some kids went crazy with a bunch of spray cans. It is an 1985 ford F150 with a four cylinder in it. It seems to have positive traction and the chains make up for the old tires on it. I plan on just driving it around the farm so license and insurance is not needed. I still need to make a headache rack to guard the back window and maybe some side boards so it will hold more. But other than that it should be very useful to have around the farm and wood lot.

I think the miss is one the other four cyclinders? I-6 more likely.

Anyway, it sucks. Just tell me where yer at and I'll take it off your hands. Maybe leave you a bottle of Makers Mark. Sound like a good trade?

If all it took was a few hours and a tune-up, its worth the few hours......

181728d1303928578-image04242011093326-jpg

181729d1303928579-image03272011121537-jpg

181730d1303928580-image04242011193755-jpg

181731d1303928580-image04232011105715-jpg

nice.

Last edited:
Fair guess that it's actually the venerable 300 six under the hood. Tough motor to kill and will still likely outpull a 302 even down a cylinder.

Nice work on the paint. Now that you're warmed up, come on over and paint mine for me would ya?

Fair guess that it's actually the venerable 300 six... likely outpull a 302...

...and use more gas. Had a 300 6-cylinder in a Bronco once, and two pickups, and have had 5 Broncos with the 302 V8, and several pickups. When it came to fuel mileage the 300's were the worst of the lot. And oh yeah, that 300 will pull... low end torque to spare.

But to be fair, most of the time you'll find a lower gear in trucks with a 300 6-cylinder.

You are correct it is a 300 6 not a 4

What was I thinking.... See what happens when you try to do two or three things at once. Any way thanks for the comments. However next time for the stencils I will try to find some old magnet signs instead of tagboard and tape. It will be a lot faster and get less paint on my hands. Now wish me luck finding the cause of the miss. Once that is working it should be a good wood hauler again.

Back