New Low?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK you all can laugh, I don't mind. The last saw I had in non-running condition was an Orline Mustang 13. I kind of stashed it away in the garage about a year ago hoping to never find it after an exhaustive search for parts to no avail. Believe this or not, the wife was rummaging around in the garage the other day and brought it to me saying: "I think you misplaced this one". Well, the gauntlet was down and it was time to jump a few hurtles. It just so happens Farley9 had a recent post stating that he had some similar parts saws. He was able to supply some of the missing pieces I needed and was kind enough to send them to me at a very modest price. Next was what to do about the carb diaphragm, so I made my own. Yep, first time for me, perhaps not for some of you seasoned vets. I purchased the diaphragm from a 6hp Mercury Marine outboard , used the old stiff one as a template and cut it to size with an Exacto knife. Kind of crude around the perimeter but, I guess looks aren't everything. The worse part about this darn thing is it's miniature size. The tools I usually use have been replaced with tweezers, forceps, tubing wrenches, jewelers screw drivers, flash light and magnifiers. A real PITA for these old eyes for sure. No IPL or manual and some sort of funky carb configuration I've never seen before made it oh so fun especially, after I spilled all the parts on the floor. Well, it's all assembled and after goofing with the carb settings for the better part of an hour, trying to figure out which lever/screw/doodad did what, she starts right up and purrs like a kitten. It sure is a tiny thing but, I'm interested to see what this little gear drive can do. Some timed cuts against the 090G should be interesting.:monkey:

I'll do pictures on Tuesday. Kinda cute in a homely way.

Don't laugh, here are the pictures I promised. It really runs well and everything works as it should even with the homemade diaphragm. I still have not put it in any wood, hopefully on the weekend.:cheers:

You've got a nice looking little saw there. They're kinda rare not running and a running one is a real prize. Great Job! :clap: .....Bob

Bob,
Thanks so much for your assistance, I'm sure you can recognize some of the parts! It was a tough one, believe it or not. However, with the help from you and a lot of persistence on my end, I have it running like a top. I really don't think it was ever used much, just knocked around a bunch. I think the missing parts were from somebody trying to figure out why it wouldn't run after the diaphragm hardened up, they didn't fully assemble it again and eventually the parts got misplaced. From what I've read, a vast majority that don't work are because of the diaphragm. It was a super easy fix after I figured it out. I hope others read this because, with the proper material, 15 minutes of labor and about $7.00 you can have them running again.

Good job BB. Those little Orlines are very cool, must be the world's smallest geardrives. I have given considerable thought to adding one to the fleet.

Latest posts

Back