New model stihl prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nature1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the prices of the new ms362, 461, and 661 will be the same as this year saws or higher and if so, how much higher? Also, where can I find the info on the differences and upgrades? Thanks.

I'm wanting a big saw and am trying to decide if I should wait for the new model or to get one now before prices increase.

I'm wanting a big saw and am trying to decide if I should wait for the new model or to get one now before prices increase.

if you like the 441, then wait. or buy a 441. the new saws will be strato. it shouldn't be too large of a price jump.

Does anyone know if the prices of the new ms362, 461, and 661 will be the same as this year saws or higher and if so, how much higher? Also, where can I find the info on the differences and upgrades? Thanks.

The 660 is almost perfect in its current configuration, once you get use to the idea of it not secreting enormous quantity of bar oil all over you, your firewood, etc. It is truly a classic. I am glad I finally bit down hard on the bullet and got one.

The 660 is almost perfect in its current configuration, once you get use to the idea of it not secreting enormous quantity of bar oil all over you, your firewood, etc. It is truly a classic. I am glad I finally bit down hard on the bullet and got one.

Agreed. The 660 seemed like a lot of money initially, but there have been many times where I was very happy I had it available.:)

Classic...well said.

With the dollar doing a fine imitation of a lead baloon, I would guess that they will cost more dollars.

The euro is drooping in concert and falling like a greased anvil. So... goes lead fall faster than an anvil?:givebeer:

Strato is more expensive to make, but not by a huge margin. The economy was great, I'd expect increases, but it's not so we'll just have to wait and see.

There is a glimmer of hope that the 660/880 will be available a little longer - the sales are so low for the 880 they likely have a couple of years supply in USA inventory already... and even a few thousand 660's will last a long time.

I was in the local saw shop today eyeing the new 460 and 660. Both wear 25" b&c. I was quoted $825 otd for the 460. In reality, the 460 is absolutely perfect for my needs/wants. I cut all hardwood (oak, hickory, ash, etc) and rarely larger than 24" dbh. I only cut wood for myself to heat with. Maybe 4-5 cords per year. However, I have trouble accepting that someone else has a bigger and more powerful saw than me. This is basically the only reason I'm considering the 660. I know a few who run vintage 056's.

I was in the local saw shop today eyeing the new 460 and 660. Both wear 25" b&c. I was quoted $825 otd for the 460. In reality, the 460 is absolutely perfect for my needs/wants. I cut all hardwood (oak, hickory, ash, etc) and rarely larger than 24" dbh. I only cut wood for myself to heat with. Maybe 4-5 cords per year. However, I have trouble accepting that someone else has a bigger and more powerful saw than me. This is basically the only reason I'm considering the 660. I know a few who run vintage 056's.

:popcorn::popcorn:

I am also not sure if i should by the 460 or the 660 i would just use it for fire wood I was quoted 845 for the 460 and 985 for the 660 plus tax, maybe i should try to talk them down some more? What would you guys do for just cutting firewood 90% of the time it would be wearing a 20'' bar

Newer design saws go for higher bucks than the older ones.

MS270 cost more than an MS290 with the same bar.

So price will go up, Euro may go down, but the relative difference is going to stay the same.

Me, I love the MS270, I suspect it cuts as good as the MS290 and the anti vibration system is so good, there is no vibration, totally zeroed out.

The newer saw may well be worth the cost.

I am also not sure if i should by the 460 or the 660 i would just use it for fire wood I was quoted 845 for the 460 and 985 for the 660 plus tax, maybe i should try to talk them down some more? What would you guys do for just cutting firewood 90% of the time it would be wearing a 20'' bar

I've been asking myself this question for weeks now wanting to get a 460, but not sure if I would regret not spending a little more to get the 660. Yet, afraid the 660 would be big enough to limit it's usefulness on all but a few large trees per year. It's a lot of money for a homeowner's part-time saw, but I am, have always been, and will always be a sucker for horsepower!

I've been asking myself this question for weeks now wanting to get a 460, but not sure if I would regret not spending a little more to get the 660. Yet, afraid the 660 would be big enough to limit it's usefulness on all but a few large trees per year. It's a lot of money for a homeowner's part-time saw, but I am, have always been, and will always be a sucker for horsepower!

Get the 660. If you buy the 460, you will always wonder what the 660 is like, and whether you should have bought it. My 660 wears a 25" bar most of the time. You will be able to cut smaller trees, not just the monsters. And, it will probably have better resale value, if you ever need to sell it. Remember, its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Get the 660. If you buy the 460, you will always wonder what the 660 is like, and whether you should have bought it. My 660 wears a 25" bar most of the time. You will be able to cut smaller trees, not just the monsters. And, it will probably have better resale value, if you ever need to sell it. Remember, its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

This is what I'm thinking. I always try to avoid having to re-buy something because I didn't get what I really wanted the first time. I'm thinking that if I bought the 460 that I'd eventually want a bigger saw. The only trouble is that I really think the 460 would be perfect for my needs. I'll never need anything bigger than a 32" b&c and rarely even that big. I just want significantly more power than my 029 for bucking large oak and hickory.

A 460 is fine with a 20-25". I'd want a 660 for 36"+.

The new saws will be approximately $20-$30 more than their current counterparts. Like the 211($279.95) is $20 more than the 210($259.95). For example the current 361-20 lists at $599.95 and the 362 with the same bar will list at $619.95. I would expect to see about the same for the 651, 661, 291, 311, etc, etc, etc that will eventually be coming along.

Back