New model stihl prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new saws will be approximately $20-$30 more than their current counterparts. Like the 211($279.95) is $20 more than the 210($259.95). For example the current 361-20 lists at $599.95 and the 362 with the same bar will list at $619.95. I would expect to see about the same for the 651, 661, 291, 311, etc, etc, etc that will eventually be coming along.

Sounds reasonable to me. I'll probably end up with a 460 to save the $100+. Did I mention my second girl was born today and that we'll be starting our new house in the next couple of months?

This is what I'm thinking. I always try to avoid having to re-buy something because I didn't get what I really wanted the first time. I'm thinking that if I bought the 460 that I'd eventually want a bigger saw. The only trouble is that I really think the 460 would be perfect for my needs. I'll never need anything bigger than a 32" b&c and rarely even that big. I just want significantly more power than my 029 for bucking large oak and hickory.

You should see significantly more power between the 290 and 460. Go to a dealer that has 460/660 and handle both them, you just might find that you would rather handle the 460 all day because of weight.
Buy a new 460 and later on get a used 660.

get the da** 660 after i was able to handle the 460 i wanted more and i am want to save a little to trade the 460 and get the 660. i am a home owner too and when i come across a big blow down that you have to cut up yourself, you will be wishing you had that 660

Shawn

If price and weight is no object then you can get any saw you want. There is no need to even ask.

If it is, then you have to figure out what you need, vs having the biggest saw in the neighborhood.

If you do have price and or weight constraints, then you have to weigh the factors and decide.

What I can say for sure is you can push a Stihl saw that's too small way over the limit, as long as you don't do it a lot. If you need extra reach and go pup 20% of the time, then you don't need the maximum size saw that can handle it, you buy the saw that does the 80% job, and work it harder for that 20%

At some point, the balance is tipped, not purely on percentages, but on effort and annoyance and time. At 30% it may be costing you more time and effort than you can afford or want to spend, and then you go with the bigger saw (assuming you can afford it)

Bigger saws usually mean more weight (though the transition between the older MS390 and the new MS361 means the there is a 7/10 Pound weight different, as they got more power out of the newer design). You also pay $130 more. Thats not a lot, but if you don't use it, its a waste.

In the case of the 460 vs the 660 you are carryng 2 pounds more weight, and around and $200 more, not to mention the dynamics of use. Do you really need one more hp for that? Do you need that extra 4 inche on the bar?

Only if the mission requires it. Otherwise the 460 is fine, and you can work the 460 harder occasionally if the need is rare.

Reality is that neither of those saws is going to get worn out by an occasional user.

The so called Mid range saws will probably wind up obsolete before they get worn out.

Pr use is going to wear out any of those saws, that's why they rebuild them or buy a new one and usually they have a good spare on hand, as that's how they earn their living).

This is what I'm thinking. I always try to avoid having to re-buy something because I didn't get what I really wanted the first time. I'm thinking that if I bought the 460 that I'd eventually want a bigger saw. The only trouble is that I really think the 460 would be perfect for my needs. I'll never need anything bigger than a 32" b&c and rarely even that big. I just want significantly more power than my 029 for bucking large oak and hickory.

"the 460 would be perfect for my needs."
you have already answered your question

"want significantly more power than my 029"
the 460 is not just significantly more but substantially more!!!!!!
esp w/ dual port muff
and the 460 will handle the occasional 32" easy enough

Back