New non cat 346 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just received a OEM non cat muffler for my etech 346 from Baileys.

I went to put it on this afternnon, and it is slightly different than the non cat muffler on my other 346. It has a round bracket welded to the top that touches the fins above the head shield.

Otherwise it looks like it fits okay.

So I am assuming it is a new part designed to fit a wider range of saws?

I think I'll grind off the unused bracket as I don't want it touch/vibrating again the fins.

I am wandering if the round bracket might have something to do with heat. I have a 346ne non-cat. I had noticed that my cylinder cover had melted some above the muffler.

I didn't describe the bracket very well. It is round and has a hole where it meets the fins as if it maybe attaches with another bolt on some other saw models.

I am wandering if the round bracket might have something to do with heat. I have a 346ne non-cat. I had noticed that my cylinder cover had melted some above the muffler.

Mine did that with the cat muffler,but isn't any worse now that I changed it to a non cat.I am running it rich.only a dozen or so tanks through it.

BTW the muffler I got from baileys was the same as the cat that came with the saw,but it was empty inside
DON

What's the number on the front of your muffler?I ordered mine on 10-10-09 no extra flanges on mine.
DON

Part number on muffler is 544 02 83 02 J. It's an empty can like my other non cat muffler, but has a flange on top in back.

I can only guess that it is a new part to handle more saws.

I haven't noticed that yet with my non cat, but my etech muffler runs really HOT. If a non cat would hurt the cover, then the cat mufflers must really melt them.

Part number on muffler is 544 02 83 02 J. It's an empty can like my other non cat muffler, but has a flange on top in back.

That's the same number on my muffler from Baileys.Even the J at the end.
I dunno?
DON

On one of the IPL's that I have seen for the 346xp NE it shows a rectangular piece of foil that sticks on to the top cover to stop the melting of the plastic. My 346xpNe never came with the foil sticker just like yours, but it is available as a part the # is 503 84 59-01 I'm not sure how much they are? I'm woundering if the aluminum tape you can buy for stove pipe would be the same?

My etech 346 cover has the foil under it, and my non cat cover does not.

So the foil is another difference between them that I had not read before.

I think I'll try to come up with some foil under my non cat cover, as I just checked it out and it is getting a little cooked (but not meltedyet).

I haven't run the new one non stop enough yet to test whether the foil is a complete cure, but it can't hurt.

I looked at partstree and found

Husqvarna 503845901
INSULATING FOIL/CYLINDER COVER

Last edited:
I hadnt realized there was a insulating foil piece between the cover and the muffler. I would have to clean the top of my muffler good or replace the muffler. It is rusty from use and the foil piece would not stick.

I hadnt realized there was a insulating foil piece between the cover and the muffler. I would have to clean the top of my muffler good or replace the muffler. It is rusty from use and the foil piece would not stick.

The foil piece sticks to the bottom of the cover. It'll take a little to clean the cover enough to stick, but I am going to try sometime. Mya be purple cleaner, then soap and water and then alcohol?

If I could do it over, I would have bought a foil strip (or maybe stovepipe tape like someone mused?) before I used my non cat saw (still clean).

Only the 350 had that problem, not the 346 or 353.

Sawtroll, what say you on why the new version of the muffler has the extra tab?

For my 346, I don't like how the bracket touchs the fins without bolting.

Bound to vibrate against eachother.....

That is a new number to me - the latest IPL say 544 02 83 01 for the non-cat one with spark arrestor.

....and it surely looks odd! :confused:

Back