New OWB owners BEWARE !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good post. This is my first year with an owb and it's good to hear these reminders. I've been told about this, but hearing it from many of you makes me more catious about it. Plus I'll be sure to tell the wife for the day that I'm not there to throw a few logs in.

Good post. This is my first year with an owb and it's good to hear these reminders. I've been told about this, but hearing it from many of you makes me more catious about it. Plus I'll be sure to tell the wife for the day that I'm not there to throw a few logs in.

one day i was a bit intoxicated, and decided to throw in some yard waste ( durring summer months i burn 90% pine needles, trimmings, and leaves, cuts down the yard mess, and good enough to keep the DHW going for the day). i opened the door a bit, not paying attentino, and when it lit, the fire blasted the door on the hinges, swung over, and whacked my hand, jimmying up a couple of fingers, black and blue the next day.....if conditions of fuel and oxygen are just right; i know for a fact it'll burn quick....

Good post, It didn't take me long to figure out I need to look at the temp gauge before I open mine. With other mechanical things being loaded up with safety devices to the point of being ludicrous its a wonder that this issue has not been addressed by the manufacturers.

I dont think theres much you can do about it,we are dealing with a hot burning fire here.I find mine is dangerous immediately after the blower shuts down.If you were to open the door within 30 seconds of the blower shutting,the resulting fireball will blow 3 ft right out the door! I "feed the pig" every morning before putting my 10 yr old son on the bus,he now opens the door slowly,as he got to experience the full fireball as he was about to throw some carboard boxes,and reload the OWB with me one morning.

I something like a back lash happen to me. I was shoveling the ashes from my hardy h4 back in the top door to burn more complete for some reason. When the fan shut off and damper closed, i waited like 15 seconds, then I opened the bottom door then woosh, the furnace backdrafted down through the ash door.
lmfao, I was covered in white ash that blew out it in my face as i looked through the bottom door. It also spit out some hot coals too..

Last edited:
I something like a back lash happen to me. I was shoveling the ashes from my hardy h4 back in the top door to burn more complete for some reason. When the fan shut off and damper closed, i waited like 15 seconds, then I opened the bottom door then woosh, the furnace backdrafted down through the ash door.
lmfao, I was covered in white ash that blew out it in my face as i looked through the bottom door. It also spit out some hot coals too..

Seems like an entertaining way to clean out the old ash pan though...:clap:
all the same, glad you weren't hurt

With the colder weather starting to filter in please be very aware of a real hazard that may exist when you load your OWB. When the OWB shuts down at it's setpoint the fire inside is suffocated. This may result in flammable gases collecting inside the fire box. When you open the door and the temp is at or above your setpoint you can have a very significant backflash out the door. The first time this happened to me temp was at 187F and flames blew over a foot out the door.

To avoid this:

1. Wear long sleeves and gloves and safety glasses.
2. Open the door a couple inches only for about 20-30 seconds so the draft
clears the firebox of flammable gasses.
3. When opening the door stand behind it and keep your mug out of the way
4. Make your helpers aware of this danger.

Enjoy folks. :cheers:

With all the new stoves out there, it's nice to see this reminder pop up every now and then, I know it sure helped me. Thanks!!

back fires in owb and adding fire brick.

Greetings and salutations fellow board members,

Ah yes the dreaded back fire; we have not scheduled our appointment with "The Smurf With The Flame Thrower" yet this year but I am sure it will happen shortly as the ash pit clean out door's "automatic damper" is the culprit each time it happens-nice solid blue flame excatly like a F-14 tomcat on after burner that reaches for the back wall every time so it is a bit scary.

I have not had it happen since we shortened the firebox in half though, and disconnected the upper automatic damper chain

I filled the boiler half full with Fire brick last season in February 08 and I noticed a big difference in the burn time and I was using less wood as well as the fire box became half as large in area due to using a piece of channel iron 12 by 12 which also helped with the natural draft of the boiler- the chimney was to large to begin with and an 8 by 12 block chimney that was tied in with the oil boiler when the wood boiler was installed years ago.

We started burning again a couple of weeks ago up here in my corner of the eastern wilderness @1140 feet above mean sea level.

==========================================================

Part two:

Have any of you filled your fire boxes half full of fire brick to make them smaller and in the process made the boiler more efficient?

I can say for a fact that the boiler burns hotter and stays hotter longer due to the fire brick filling up half the fire box.and having the upper damper door shut off and using only the lower one.

That is what I am planing to do with my outdoor wood and coal unit when i replace the indoor unit based on my experience with wood and coal boiler
I have now.

As the Sequoiya has 390 gallons of water in it it will be a good way to burn wood or coal in small amounts to heat that much water as the fire brick will hold heat and help keep the water and fire box hot.

leon

mutual sufferer of CAD and TWLSPA :chainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

I had the flash this morning....it took longer than I remember it taking last year...cracked the door on my CB 5036 about and inch holding the handle. I was holding it for a good 4 seconds, thought I remembered it happening quicker last year, but it was a good one, big poof, flames out the side and it really pushed my arm back hard. Stove was 2-3 degrees lower than the set point so it had been a few minutes for sure since it turned off, it can really hang out in that firebox waiting for air!

Tell me about it. I have a firebox mullet. Looks pretty cool in an 80's kind of way. I need to remember to wear a hat.......Lanny

This is my first year with my CB5036 and it happened to me this morning. As usual opened it slightly and then....flash flames all out the door. I had to clean out my shorts before I went on with my day! I'm sure glad I heard about it on this site because if not...I wouldn't have known what to do. I held the door open a little bit and it looked like a butane heater out the top my my chimney. I figured I would let it burn hot for a while to clear out all the creosote. Closed her up and she's fine now, I wasn't sure what it would do when the damper opened up later. But it was fine. Good learning experience though! Again...thanks to everyone on this site for the good info.

Is it considered "playing with the fire" if I try and time my after dark loading to be a minute or two after the blower shuts off? For some reason the kid in me goes out at night and just throws the door open on my H4. I do step aside to grap a couple pieces of wood and wait 10-15 seconds in case it shoots out. I haven't yet told the kids "hey watch this" as I head out the door

You havn't told the kids to watch this yet? And you call yourself a Dad!?!? No self-respecting father would miss a chance at humiliating himself before his boys - it teaches some very important lessons that they should learn by example before they get too old and do something REALLY stupid ;)

My boys tend the OWB when I am out of town a few days every week - at the beginning of each season I remind them about the cool fireball.

You havn't told the kids to watch this yet? And you call yourself a Dad!?!? No self-respecting father would miss a chance at humiliating himself before his boys - it teaches some very important lessons that they should learn by example before they get too old and do something REALLY stupid ;)

My boys tend the OWB when I am out of town a few days every week - at the beginning of each season I remind them about the cool fireball.

I was going to check the stove the other day and when that puppy took off I thought the wife was going to end all wood burning outside. It's good that she got to see it happen because I know down the road, she'll be playing with the stove. I told her to never open the door with the damper off. Best for her to kick up the water them and let the damper open first. She's still talking about it.

BTW The wife found out about the fireball last week when she was home during the day by herself. A few hairs burnt and a valuable lesson learned. Maybe she will listen to me.............probably not:bang:

BTW The wife found out about the fireball last week when she was home during the day by herself. A few hairs burnt and a valuable lesson learned. Maybe she will listen to me.............probably not:bang:

That's my biggest fear. I'm just glad that I was there when it happen. Mine always wants to be where the action is. She keeps asking for a little chain saw so she can cut up the "little stuff". I figure when the temps get down low enough, I'll be safe and she'll stay inside. She really likes the thought of free heat and a cozy house but Women - Hair Spray and OWB don't mix..

Greetings and salutations fellow board members,

Ah yes the dreaded back fire; we have not scheduled our appointment with "The Smurf With The Flame Thrower" yet this year but I am sure it will happen shortly as the ash pit clean out door's "automatic damper" is the culprit each time it happens-nice solid blue flame excatly like a F-14 tomcat on after burner that reaches for the back wall every time so it is a bit scary.

I have not had it happen since we shortened the firebox in half though, and disconnected the upper automatic damper chain

I filled the boiler half full with Fire brick last season in February 08 and I noticed a big difference in the burn time and I was using less wood as well as the fire box became half as large in area due to using a piece of channel iron 12 by 12 which also helped with the natural draft of the boiler- the chimney was to large to begin with and an 8 by 12 block chimney that was tied in with the oil boiler when the wood boiler was installed years ago.

We started burning again a couple of weeks ago up here in my corner of the eastern wilderness @1140 feet above mean sea level.

==========================================================

Part two:

Have any of you filled your fire boxes half full of fire brick to make them smaller and in the process made the boiler more efficient?

I can say for a fact that the boiler burns hotter and stays hotter longer due to the fire brick filling up half the fire box.and having the upper damper door shut off and using only the lower one.

That is what I am planing to do with my outdoor wood and coal unit when i replace the indoor unit based on my experience with wood and coal boiler
I have now.

As the Sequoiya has 390 gallons of water in it it will be a good way to burn wood or coal in small amounts to heat that much water as the fire brick will hold heat and help keep the water and fire box hot.

leon

mutual sufferer of CAD and TWLSPA :chainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

I'm also interested in any responses about using firebrick in an owb

I'm also interested in any responses about using firebrick in an owb

i installed some, lined the firebox where coals 'pile up to' 80% of the time. once in a while coals are above the firebrick line, touching bare waterjacket.

coals stay red, hotter longer and most of the time.

glow nearly white hot; and nearly zero flame, when steady draft is brought through the bed from the bottom.

water boils/sizzles in most areas of wj after a few minutes. was hard to acheive before lining.

i installed some, lined the firebox where coals 'pile up to' 80% of the time. once in a while coals are above the firebrick line, touching bare waterjacket.

coals stay red, hotter longer and most of the time.

glow nearly white hot; and nearly zero flame, when steady draft is brought through the bed from the bottom.

water boils/sizzles in most areas of wj after a few minutes. was hard to acheive before lining.

Thanks for the response, so did you line the bottom too? How far up the sides did you go?

Thanks for the response, so did you line the bottom too? How far up the sides did you go?

oly the bottom, and maybe 6-8" going up the sides..just where-ever coals were going to touch the waterjacket..no need to brick the entire thing, a challenge to do, and then heat would need to penetrate the brick to heat the water before leaving the firebox.... I judged what's left after an average night of loading/heat demand, and where/amount of coals that were left over the next morning, and i called that my 'height limit'. make up your own method.

as for coals, it was the answer, hands down. It insulates the 2500-3000*F red/white hot coals from the 200F waterjacket.......wont give them the 'chill' and allows the heat to radiant longer

Latest posts

Back