New Piston and Cylinder for 162SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyqg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to replace the cylinder and piston on my Dad's Husqvarna 162SE (serial #037473). I scored the cylinder, apparently by running the saw at a lower elevation than it was adjusted for.
I have seen pictures of cylinders that fit the 61 but the holes to mount the carb and the impulse port don't match the ones on the 162SE. I have read threads about the different Husky "families" but I can't figure out which cylinder will work with the Tillotson carburetor that is on the saw now. Facing the cylinder with the plug hole on top the left carb mounting bolt is higher than the right.
Does anyone have suggestions about which parts to get?
Thanks

Bump!

Welcome to the site!

I can't help you with the details regarding carbs etc, but the other saws in the 162-family (yes, it was the first one) are the 61, 66, 266se, 268se, 266xp, 268xp, 272xp, 268, and all the different versions of the Jonsred 670, 630 and 625. I would use the IPLs to try to determine what else has to be changed, for a given option...

I am sure some others here know more than me, so come on guys!!! :blob2: :blob2: :blob4:

I see a 266 cylinder kit at cutterschoice. I will try this and see if I can make a 162SE/266 combination saw. I will post again after I have installed the new parts (or when I get stuck).
Thanks again for the helpful answers.

The 266 cylinder and piston that I ordered at Cutterschoice is no longer available.
I looked at the IPLs and threads about the 266 and 272xp.
272 cylinder kits seem available and not too expensive, so now I want to mount a 272 cylinder kit to the 162SE crankcase.
The 162SE has a Tillotson HS163a carb, the 272xp uses a HS260s. From the diagrams that I found the mounting holes look the same and the impulse port looks like it is in the same place. If I can find a 272 cylinder and piston kit and the plastic spacer (501 80 66-02) and seal (501 51 18-02) from a 272, it looks like I could mount my HS163a carb onto the 272 cylinder. I would use (longer) bolts that pass through the spacer into the cylinder casting.
Does this sound like it would work? Where can I buy the spacer and seal for a 272?
From what HiOctane said I think that what I want to do is much like putting a 272 cylinder on a 266 crankcase but I haven't figured out if anyone has done this while keeping the 266 carb.
I now plan on using this saw for occasional milling and I'll give my Dad a fixed up 350 for cutting his firewood. I just milled a friend's 7' x 15" black walnut bole with a 49sp and now I can't stop thinking about bigger saws and bigger trees to mill....

The carb isn't a problem if it is configured to same, ie impulse.

Slap it on and adjust her away.

Fred

61 to 272xp

I just finished putting a 272 xp cylinder and intake system on my 61 and It seems as if you have the right sequence of parts. It went together well and seems quite powerful though I haven't put a bar & chain on it yet. Last year I also did a 66/272 and it has been very impressive with a 24" bar. The 272 uses a slightly larger muffler but you can do a mod on whatever you already have and it should be fine and clear the cover. Most of the after market cylinder sets for the 272 are not 52mm but are the 50mm that came with the 66 to 68's. Its very hard to find the 52mm stuff. Good luck with your conversion.....Bob

The 266 cylinder and piston that I ordered at Cutterschoice is no longer available.
I looked at the IPLs and threads about the 266 and 272xp.
272 cylinder kits seem available and not too expensive, so now I want to mount a 272 cylinder kit to the 162SE crankcase.
The 162SE has a Tillotson HS163a carb, the 272xp uses a HS260s. From the diagrams that I found the mounting holes look the same and the impulse port looks like it is in the same place. If I can find a 272 cylinder and piston kit and the plastic spacer (501 80 66-02) and seal (501 51 18-02) from a 272, it looks like I could mount my HS163a carb onto the 272 cylinder. I would use (longer) bolts that pass through the spacer into the cylinder casting.
Does this sound like it would work? Where can I buy the spacer and seal for a 272?
From what HiOctane said I think that what I want to do is much like putting a 272 cylinder on a 266 crankcase but I haven't figured out if anyone has done this while keeping the 266 carb.
I now plan on using this saw for occasional milling and I'll give my Dad a fixed up 350 for cutting his firewood. I just milled a friend's 7' x 15" black walnut bole with a 49sp and now I can't stop thinking about bigger saws and bigger trees to mill....
You can install the 272 cyl WITH the the 272 block,bolts,gaskets.Your original carb is smaller than the 272 original,so you should have a drop of power compared to a stock 272 but still stronger than your stock saw.You can get the carb spacer and such from your local dealer,maybe even used.

Last edited:
You can install the 272 cyl WITH the the 272 block,bolts,gaskets.Your original carb is smaller than the 272 original,so you should have a drop of power compared to a stock 272 but still stronger than your stock saw.You can get the carb spacer and such from your local dealer,maybe even used.

Is it smaller????

How much is the bore smaller by???

Fred

Latest posts

Back