New Regs for outdoor boilers in NY, certain counties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has brought this up. I don't have all the details of the decision but it apears to be state mandated and now the counties want a say in the matter. This could be the end of ALL outside boilers here.
Just thought I would make y'all aware incase they have a rebuttle period or something.
They (state) want a min. stack height of 18', only burn seasnoned wood or wood pellets and NO burning in the summer months and all new boilers must be 90% more efficient than the old ones.
I would think the State of NY would want to be more proactive in alternative energy and lowering consumption and dependancy of foreign oil, guess I was wrong. :(

They should've just followed EPA guide lines ? They cover distences for different stoves, chimney hights & even what is considered "nusence smoke" for your neighbors so idiots can be shut down without penalising the responsible owner.
Most people on this site recomend a standard outdoor boiler but when I tell someone I own an OWB they look @ you like you just said I beat my wife . Then I tell em I got an E-Classic that heats my pool without the neighbors even knowing it:glasses-cool:

I'm surprised no one has brought this up. I don't have all the details of the decision but it apears to be state mandated and now the counties want a say in the matter. This could be the end of ALL outside boilers here.
Just thought I would make y'all aware incase they have a rebuttle period or something.
They (state) want a min. stack height of 18', only burn seasnoned wood or wood pellets and NO burning in the summer months and all new boilers must be 90% more efficient than the old ones.
I would think the State of NY would want to be more proactive in alternative energy and lowering consumption and dependancy of foreign oil, guess I was wrong. :(

I am far from being a fan of the guberment, but I don't think those rules are exactly intolerable by any means. 18' of stack is easy enough to do. You should already be burning dry seasoned wood, else you are a cause of this issue. The summer burning should be addressed on a case by case basis. It may work fine on farmer Joes 40acre plot, but Bob's 1/2 acre metro lot could perhaps do without it. Many of the "bigger" manufacturers are already designing and building more efficient boilers. The use less wood, and create less emissions. That is a good thing. While the price is higher now, in the future I am sure it will drop accordingly just as most all new technologies do.

I believe it's targeted mainly to the metro areas, for at least now. Definitely agree the jack hats burning garbage and smoldering green wood have brought these regs about. I'm waitin for the nosebleed tax they'll put on us for having an OWB :mad:

What's next

How long until our wonderful state cracks down on indoor burners? Pretty soon we won't be able to stay warm because wood will be banned and gas/oil/propane will be too expensive.

The problem I see is putting a OWB on an acre lot with several houses right next door. Even with seasoned wood, the start up of the burn cycle and shut down of the burn cycle produces quite a bit of smoke.

I burn seasoned wood in mine even though I have no neighbors. Blaming the new regs on people that burn green wood is only half the problem. The other half is people putting OWB on a lot where they have neighbors within spitting distance.

Let's face it, some houses (small lots with close neighbors) aren't meant to have OWB. We wouldn't be supporting someone that puts a couple pigs in their back yard (again the small lot with close neighbors) or maybe the person that lets his dogs run loose in a small neighborhood.

Just my opinion but even a E-Classic shouldn't be put in a postage stamp neighborhood. JMO but flame away while I go put a couple sticks of white oak in my OWB...

Back