New Rod bearings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BDawson1234

BDawson1234

ArboristSite Lurker
O38magII How much play is normal in the Crank/Rod bearing, I may just replace the bearing so I can feel better about it. It looks like the Rod is starting to ride on the Brass Roller cage instead of the Rollers! On the wrist pin I see some blue discoloration on the sides of the Rod, but the middle looks normal. Also, I found two paper gaskets under the jug. How many gaskets does it take?!

Stihl #1

Stihl #1

ArboristSite Operative
Dawson,
There should not be any excessive play in the big end rod bearing. If you put the crankpin all the way to BDC and the rod can touch either of the crank counterweights, the bearing is done. I also slide the rod over and use a pick and a flashlight to inspect the cage for any cracks, first one side and then the other, while rotating the cage with the pick. If the cage is broken the crank will need replaced.
Most STIHL pro saws have a 0.5mm and 1.0 mm thick cylinder gasket available. The thick one would be to lower compression, to make starting easier or maybe deal with poor fuel quality. That may have been why there were two on the saw. I would think that two might be more likely to leak, eventually.
HTH

stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
dual gaskets

There were thick and thin gaskets for many Stihl models. As it was explained to me, it lowered the compression enough that low octane fuel would not cause problems.
I have seen the two gaskets in a few saws for easier starting. Can't say if it really worked.
You will find them listed in parts breakdowns.

BDawson1234

BDawson1234

ArboristSite Lurker
No spark

Rod play wasn't bad enough to touch the crank and the cage was worn, but ok for now. I had two of the .5mm gaskets, dunno why, but one is now gone and we're makin 150psi compression,:rock: This thing tries to pull your elbow out! I love it! However now I have a new problem. No F-ing spark. :bang: It worked fine before, but when I put it all back together, I got one pop then natta. Tried new plug and rechecking the stop switch and wires. It's lookin like the coil just gave up the ghost for no apparent reason. I did get a little carried away with the carb cleaner getting all the old oil and dirt out from around it. Could that have something to do with it?

Last edited:
BDawson1234

BDawson1234

ArboristSite Lurker
Problem solved

Wait no, this one is my dumb @$$ fault. On the back side of the coil I had one bristle from a steel wire brush come off and well you know the rest. Yes, I did have a brass brush on the table so I guess I'm gonna blame this one on "Saw building while talking on the phone to a girlfriend on the rag who thinks you might be cheating". Anyway, this saw is screaming! :rock: I can't wait to sink teeth into some wood! Thank you Stihltech, Four Paws, Timberwolf, Tree Spider, JacobJ, Shihl#1 ...aww hell, thanx everybody! I love you guys! I'ma go look for some Arboristsite.com stickers or somthin to support the cause.

Last edited:

Latest posts