New saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernswede

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I dug a 14” bar 33cc homelite out of my in-laws trash some odd 10 or so years ago. I tuned the carb and have been using it since for light trimming and jobs it’s not meant for, like cutting up 18” diameter trees…

Well, now I have had 8 trees dropped on my property and the little 33cc 14” Homelite is taking a long time to get through 18” diameter trunks.

My wife has been after me to stop using it and to buy a “real” saw but I’m torn between so many options.

So I would like to buy one saw that will last me, not to just cut up what I have currently but when I move and most likely head further up north I’ll need a saw for more firewood and to clear property.

I have been looking at a Stihl ms261 and the Husqvarna Rancher. There are other Stihl models like the 250 but seem to be more like my Homelite? I have a hard time buying Harry homeowner gear as it’s usually disposable after a few uses anyways.

I’m trying to strike a balance of buying a good saw that I will be able to use and won’t be a pos while not under/over buying and Stihl has so many different modes with slight variances it’s tough to narrow down what one to get.

It’s subjective honestly but I welcome anyone’s opinions or suggestions, it would help me get a different viewpoint on just what to buy, the ms261 may be overkill but it seems to still be a good balance between a long lasting saw and getting a job done quicker?

I’d look at the price difference between the MS261 and the MS362 or MS400.

Could possibly be overkill for your needs, but you will then have the ability to run a 24” or 25” bar. I probably wouldn’t keep a 25” on it all the time, but a ~60cc pro grade saw with a 20” and a 25” is pretty versatile.

If the difference is only around 200$ between the 261 and the 362, I’d get the 362. I buy my saws used usually, I don’t know new prices, so that’s all speculation.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and advice!

I continued on with the lil 14” one more time till I said enough and went to my local Stihl dealer and got a ms261.

Not having any past experience with this saw, all I can say is why did I wait so long! It went through much of what I had with ease and I wasn’t wasting time with the Homelite.

I have to read up on some bucking techniques for logs on the ground and remember to respect the newfound power.

So glad I stopped procrastinating, just gonna be sad when the job is done, just another excuse to use it again!

I continued on with the lil 14” one more time till I said enough and went to my local Stihl dealer and got a ms261.

Not having any past experience with this saw, all I can say is why did I wait so long! It went through much of what I had with ease and I wasn’t wasting time with the Homelite.

I have to read up on some bucking techniques for logs on the ground and remember to respect the newfound power.

So glad I stopped procrastinating, just gonna be sad when the job is done, just another excuse to use it again!
First welcome to AS. If you like the 261 now, wait until it is broken in. I run an 18" bar on mine and cut just about whatever. Have fun with it.

First welcome to AS. If you like the 261 now, wait until it is broken in. I run an 18" bar on mine and cut just about whatever. Have fun with it.
Is this a real thing? Do they get better?

I have a husky rancher 460 and I wanted something a little lighter so I bought the 261.
The 460 runs circles around the 261.
Granted it’s 10 more cc’s and 5 lbs heavier.
I hope the 261 opens up.

The 261 is an amazing saw and will handle most things a homeowner will encounter. Another really good saw that’s a bit cheaper is the Echo 590. It’s a 60cc saw class.

Is this a real thing? Do they get better?

I have a husky rancher 460 and I wanted something a little lighter so I bought the 262.
The 460 runs circles around the 261.
Granted it’s 10 more cc’s and 5 lbs heavier.
I hope the 261 opens up.
It will get better.
Get a 462 to replace the 460, it will spank the 460 lol.

Congrats on an awesome wife :heart:.
And welcome to AS.

I am in the same boat--intercepted a homeowner, light-duty Poulan on its way to the dumpster. I'm pretty sure it's the model sold in the big box stores. It's green, with a kind of lightning stripe on it. Replaced the fuel lines and put a new chain on and have run it for the past three years with just cleaning in between cutting firewood. 18" bar and it goes through the dead ash trees around here pretty well. I'm actually having a hard time justifying buying a new saw but I don't know how much longer this little one will hold out with fairly constant use. As I always tell myself, best time to buy is when I don't actually need the thing. Better start looking now.

I am in the same boat--intercepted a homeowner, light-duty Poulan on its way to the dumpster. I'm pretty sure it's the model sold in the big box stores. It's green, with a kind of lightning stripe on it. Replaced the fuel lines and put a new chain on and have run it for the past three years with just cleaning in between cutting firewood. 18" bar and it goes through the dead ash trees around here pretty well. I'm actually having a hard time justifying buying a new saw but I don't know how much longer this little one will hold out with fairly constant use. As I always tell myself, best time to buy is when I don't actually need the thing. Better start looking now.
I should add for those paying attention that I logged onto this site some time ago with a used Stihl 029 and that one was a real dog. Supposedly rebuilt by someone who butchered the saw, I didn't. get even one cutting out of it before selling and moving on. Nothing but aggravation from what was supposed to be a very good saw.

Latest posts

Back