New Spitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpy75

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Since TSC now has the 22 ton Speeco(Husky) on sale(for the next 5 days), I finally decided it was time... I was given a large ash tree a few weeks ago, and have been noodling and splitting away on it, and swinging the maul was getting a little old.

Had some problems with it right off the bat, but all were caused by the bad assembly work by my local TSC.

First, when I got it home and started checking fluids, the engine oil showed a full inch overfilled on the dipstick. Ok, called TSC, and they said it was normal. Yeah, right... Then called Speeco, and we think they dumped the oil for two splitters all into one. So, drained out what I needed to(about 18 oz, or the full amount for ONE fill).

That's when I noticed that one of the axle dust covers had fallen off on the way home. I'm sure I made some drivers mad, as I kept it under 35 all the way...

Ok, all ready to go. Filled it with gas, primed it, and pulled the cord. Engine starts right up...and the high pressure line going to the valve blows off. Oh :censored: :msp_angry: :dizzy:! Luckily, I had my hand on the throttle, and was able to kill it somewhat quickly. :msp_scared: Now I have hydaulic fluid everywhere! Put the hose back on, and tightened it down the right way.

Checked over everything that would have been looked at on assembly and fired it up again. Everything seemed to work! 'Bout time!:dizzy: Split about 1/2 cord with it, including some tougher chunks to make it drop into the lower gear. Everything works great, and it sure beats the maul!

Then went and had a talk with the local TSC manager... :msp_wink: He tried to make it right, and was not at all happy with the guy that assembled it. I'll let it go at that... :wink2: Came home with some hydrualic fluid, a few filters and a dust cover...

Pics:
Splitter
Woodshed
Big ash tree I'm working on

View attachment 200032 View attachment 200033 View attachment 200031

Last edited:
I would be upset with TSC about the problems.Like all the big chains they hire unskilled workers then hand them a box with a machine in it and say put it together.It amazes me when I encounter somebody that doesn't know how to put air in a tire.

I'm glad they made it right for ya .....i got one when they went on sale at labor day i love :rock:it beats the fire out of a maul . Only one small issue with mine after about an hour of spliiting in hot weather the detent won't kick on the return ........but other than that it's great and i can live with that little issue ...Twin splitter rep for ya. Termite

For the money its a good machine and will last years with basic maintenance.

Mine won't hold the return until its good and warmed up, so the colder the ambient temperatures the longer I have to hold the lever before the next cycle. That's the only ' quirk ' mine has.

Nice :clap:

Using my neighbors old quirky splitter currently. It sure beats not having one, but I can't wait for the day I get to have a shiny new one of my own! Glad it worked out for ya!

thank you for this share
so os
3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

I'm glad the TSC mgr. did you right. I'm still waiting on the mgr. from my local TSC to call me on my splitter.
I bought mine on Labor Day, and the pump won't go into the lower gear. Speeco said to get the mgr to call them with their "service center" info. to get repairs ok'd. The mgr said he'd call me as soon as he got it ok'd, I'm still waiting on that call.
I got a chance to stop by TSC Saturday, but the mgr wasn't there. I left him a note asking him to please call me. Haven't heard anything yet.
Looks like I may have to get ugly with him. :msp_ohmy:

Andy

I'm glad the TSC mgr. did you right. I'm still waiting on the mgr. from my local TSC to call me on my splitter.
I bought mine on Labor Day, and the pump won't go into the lower gear. Speeco said to get the mgr to call them with their "service center" info. to get repairs ok'd. The mgr said he'd call me as soon as he got it ok'd, I'm still waiting on that call.
I got a chance to stop by TSC Saturday, but the mgr wasn't there. I left him a note asking him to please call me. Haven't heard anything yet.
Looks like I may have to get ugly with him. :msp_ohmy:

Andy

man, you are so much more patient than I am, I woulda towed that thing right back and demanded an exchange.

I bought a gas powered Husky cut off saw a couple of years ago, and after two weeks of cutting stone with it, it seized up.I brought it back to the local merchant, and demanded a replacement as I refused to take a saw that had already been patched up.In my book, a seized saw is a major repair, and unless its repaired right it will continue to have a history of problems.One look at their repair bench told me that they did not have a skilled repairman in that dealership. They told me that I would have to talk to the manager who wasnt in at the moment.

After three stops by their shop and the manager was never there, I came prepared on my fourth trip.I brought a cooler and a fold up chair, and parked myself in the corner of their shop with the dead saw at my feet. At first the employees thought it was funny, but after the second customer asked me what I was doing, they got on the horn and bingo, the manager showed up.

He explained that he was sharing his time between two different shops at the moment, but refused to just hand me a new saw.I told him I wasnt going to pack up my chair until he did. Two hours later and a half of dozen conversations with potential customers, i was loading a new saw in the back of my truck.As he handed me the new saw, he mentioned that he could have had me arrested for parking in his shop, but he was trying to be a nice guy. I explained right back that if he had asked me to clear out of his shop, I would have been more than glad to park on the sidewalk with my saw,chair,cooler,and a nice big sign explaining my situation.

Never bought a dang thing from that shop ever again.

If I had had any problems with my splitter like redprospector had, I would have hauled it right back too. I know Speeco will do you right on it, as long as the local TSC manager does his part!

In my case, the local manager did make it right, and he was obviously uspet with the assembly. We found that one of the other splitters on display had no oil in it(that oil ended up in mine), and another high pressure line was finger tight... The assembler was not there that day, which might have been a good thing for him!:D

Last edited:
Speeco

If you have a problem which TSC gives you the runaround -- Email Kevin at Speeco. He is very good at handling customer problems with Huskee splitters.

Nosmo

Since TSC now has the 22 ton Speeco(Husky) on sale(for the next 5 days),

How much was it? This splitter has been online for $1099 in my area for a couple of weeks now. Is that a sale price? I haven't been to the stores.

How much was it? This splitter has been online for $1099 in my area for a couple of weeks now. Is that a sale price? I haven't been to the stores.

It's on sale at my store for $999. It's in the local store ad too. However, I just checked online, and it's still $1099, so it looks like it's an in-store sale. Don't know if it's nationwide or not, but it's at least regional here...

Edit: Just went back to the TSC site(10 minutes from the last time), and they now say to call your local store for more info on pricing. Looks like they may be updating things today.

In my area, the ad for the splitter is on the last page of the ads. You can look at your regional sales ad on the web site too.

Last edited:
Thanks. I see the flyer for my area also has $999. Think I might have to take the plunge. Been hoping to find one used on Craigslist but they don't come up that often and people want nearly retail for them. Other thing I've been considering is the new flywheel splitter (Speedpro Kinetic) they have at TSC for $1700. For my needs the $700 price difference seems hard to justify. I also wonder if I would regret having to quarter the big stuff before I could put it on flywheel splitter.

Thanks. I see the flyer for my area also has $999. Think I might have to take the plunge. Been hoping to find one used on Craigslist but they don't come up that often and people want nearly retail for them. Other thing I've been considering is the new flywheel splitter (Speedpro Kinetic) they have at TSC for $1700. For my needs the $700 price difference seems hard to justify. I also wonder if I would regret having to quarter the big stuff before I could put it on flywheel splitter.

I looked on Craigslist for almost 2 years. Saw 2 splitters close enough to me to try to look at, and both were sold before I got there.

I also considered the new Speedpro, but I decided against it for a couple of reasons. First, it's new, and I'll let others work the bugs out of it. Second is the same thought as you. I get a lot of bigger pieces, and I think it will be easier to just split them rather than noodle them into manageable pieces and then load them onto the Speedpro. If I had a MS460 or something similar, then noodling might be a possibility, but you can see the saws I have in my sig.

For me, the 22ton seemed the right choice.

Bought the same splitter last year for $999 with 12 months no interest. Pretty good deal and at 61 & herniated discs, the splitting maul doesn't look all that attractive anymore. Anyhoo, had a few bolts that I had to tighten after a short run, but other than that the thing has worked great for at least 10 cords. I lost count, but you know what they say, the memory is the first to go and I can't remember what #2 is.

man, you are so much more patient than I am, I woulda towed that thing right back and demanded an exchange.

I bought a gas powered Husky cut off saw a couple of years ago, and after two weeks of cutting stone with it, it seized up.I brought it back to the local merchant, and demanded a replacement as I refused to take a saw that had already been patched up.In my book, a seized saw is a major repair, and unless its repaired right it will continue to have a history of problems.One look at their repair bench told me that they did not have a skilled repairman in that dealership. They told me that I would have to talk to the manager who wasnt in at the moment.

After three stops by their shop and the manager was never there, I came prepared on my fourth trip.I brought a cooler and a fold up chair, and parked myself in the corner of their shop with the dead saw at my feet. At first the employees thought it was funny, but after the second customer asked me what I was doing, they got on the horn and bingo, the manager showed up.

He explained that he was sharing his time between two different shops at the moment, but refused to just hand me a new saw.I told him I wasnt going to pack up my chair until he did. Two hours later and a half of dozen conversations with potential customers, i was loading a new saw in the back of my truck.As he handed me the new saw, he mentioned that he could have had me arrested for parking in his shop, but he was trying to be a nice guy. I explained right back that if he had asked me to clear out of his shop, I would have been more than glad to park on the sidewalk with my saw,chair,cooler,and a nice big sign explaining my situation.

Never bought a dang thing from that shop ever again.

Hahaha. I'm not quite as patient as it may seem......just buisy. The last 2 weeks has been, let's see, kinda buisy. I have to finish the last 53 acres of my job by Dec. 31, had to help set up the local "Lumberjack Day" event, and last but not least Elk season. I believe that Monday morning me and that splitter will be sitting in the TSC parking lot when they open the door.

Andy

Back