New Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stltreedr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm pretty stoked that I am finally getting around to building my splitter. There are a bunch of builds on here already, but I have to show mine too. Things are going OK to this point except:

1. The Beam I bought is too friggin short! ( will weld it together)
2. The bracket from the engine to the pump is incorrect. ( took it back already)

Hope to have more steel and parts from northern by this weekend and get a bunch more done.

View attachment 263296View attachment 263297View attachment 263298View attachment 263299View attachment 263300

Looks remarkably like mine! What are your specs? Engine, pump, ram etc.?
You could add to the back of the beam where the ram mounts, built up on an angle like some store bought ones.
I moved up to 13" Honda civic tires and wheels, I want the beam high enough to be comfortable for me.
Keep up the good work, I haven't had any time to work on mine lately but I'm hoping to squeeze some time in this weekend.

Looks good so far, just a thought though, looks like you will have to bent over to run it unless your a shorty. Might want to raise it up to take the bend out of your back. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!

Used gx 390 honda 13 hp.
22 gpm 2 stage pump from dynamic fluid components
30 inch 5 inch bore 2.5 inch rod cylinder
2 valves are from cross
w8 67 lb beam
On old boat trailer chassis
19.5 gallon hydro tank just got here from northern
I think im into it for just under 2k now.

Looks good so far, just a thought though, looks like you will have to bent over to run it unless your a shorty. Might want to raise it up to take the bend out of your back. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!

Im about 6 1 and the top of beam is right at sack high. I kept that in mind but ran out of scrap steel. Would've liked3 or so more inches high. I can put the springs over the axle if necessary. Thanks fellas

You might consider putting the hitch on the opposite end of the wedge. Just a thought, makes for an open work area. Looks real good, I like the leaf springs. Looks like a bad boy beam. keep the pics coming. :msp_thumbsup: :popcorn:

Nice start - here's your pics:
263296d1353448002-2012-11-17_09-54-01_468-jpg

263297d1353448005-2012-11-17_16-26-05_219-jpg

attachment.php

263299d1353448012-2012-11-17_13-29-21_279-jpg

263300d1353448015-2012-11-17_16-25-18_29-jpg

I noticed you said your H beam was too short and you needed to weld onto it..... Why not front mount the cylinder to the beam? Looks like you have plenty of beam man..

I noticed you said your H beam was too short and you needed to weld onto it..... Why not front mount the cylinder to the beam? Looks like you have plenty of beam man..

I was thinking of that, but I still have to mount the wedge which is 8 inches, and then make the push plate, which will take up at least a few inches. I don't think I had enough to make it work. The entire beam was 76" long, and the cylinder from clevis to clevis is a little over 40 inches. 40 + 30 inch stroke only gives me 6 additional inches, not even enough for the 8 inch wedge.

I was thinking of that, but I still have to mount the wedge which is 8 inches, and then make the push plate, which will take up at least a few inches. I don't think I had enough to make it work. The entire beam was 76" long, and the cylinder from clevis to clevis is a little over 40 inches. 40 + 30 inch stroke only gives me 6 additional inches, not even enough for the 8 inch wedge.

NO. You're not understanding. You have plenty of I beam. Mount the front of the cylinder clear to the back of the I beam! That way the back 3/4 of the cylinder is hanging off of the I beam.

Like this...

263447d1353509908-243816422-jpg

Just added a loglift to 4 year old splitter. Some of the parts are old like the 48 chevy closed driveshaft rearend.
Good start on the splitter build

Iowa - that takes a special trunnion mount cylinder to do that. Trying to fab up a regular cylinder would be tricky at best. Disastrous at worse. A new beam would be cheaper than a new cylinder.

Nice job so far on the build.

Iowa - that takes a special trunnion mount cylinder to do that. Trying to fab up a regular cylinder would be tricky at best. Disastrous at worse. A new beam would be cheaper than a new cylinder.

Nice job so far on the build.

I'm sorry??? I welded 2 bosses to the side of my cylinder and mounted it with them. I've had zero problems with it.

I'm sorry??? I welded 2 bosses to the side of my cylinder and mounted it with them. I've had zero problems with it.

Hey, if its working that is all cool. Many cylinder tubes simply don't have the strength to weld bosses or rods to the sides. It can tear a hole right through the tube rendering the cylinder toast. YMMV.

As a matter of fact - some of the trunnion mounted factory built splitters have had issues in the past because of this failure.

Last edited:
Another thing I did when I built mine was drill a series of 5/8in holes in the beam,I can drop a 5/8 bolt in if I am spliting short wood and the cyl will kick out so the cyl doesn't go to it's end of travel,this speeds up spliting if you are doing it by yourself!View attachment 263480

Another thing I did when I built mine was drill a series of 5/8in holes in the beam,I can drop a 5/8 bolt in if I am spliting short wood and the cyl will kick out so the cyl doesn't go to it's end of travel,this speeds up spliting if you are doing it by yourself!View attachment 263480

That's a really good idea, I may have to borrow that one! :rock:

looks like your pump mount is for a 16gpm style pump. As far as the cyl goes, just hang the mount off the end of the beam and hang the wedge off the other, box it on and it will be fine.

I already got the other piece of beam and picked up some steel for mounts and brackets. The new pump bracket is in, but not the filter housing yet. Also got the hydro tank from ups. Hoping to make serious progress this weekend. Also found a guy to blast and powdercoat it for 200 bucks. Sounds worth it to me, especially because im still wearing scars from a wire wheel from my hip to my left nipple. Ouch.

Latest posts

Back