New splitter pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the trees will lean away

Hi, Saw, the trees will lean away when they see that coming. I like the height (not quite sure if the axle is the one yours is eventually going to sit on....because of the diff and springs attached. Are they staying?) Of course, a log lifter helps. I built one using the return stroke to lift the rounds...I can send you details if you are interested. Cost me $20 and two hours.
That looks like a good sized rod in that cylinder. I found out the hard way that a big rod means that the backstroke is proportionately quicker (less space to fill up with hyd fluid) so the push line and port are going to be carrying a lot of fluid going back, quickly. That is where the heat comes from on mine (it has a 3 1/2" cylinder and 2" rod, 22gpm pump), with a standard 1/2" control valve work port you can hear it sqeal and shake on the return. I have bought a valve with 3/4" ports to deal with this. (I put on 3/4" hoses, fortunately). I haven't done the math but I am guessing that the fluid comes out of mine on the backstroke at 2 or even 3 times the speed it comes in. The manufacturers say a the standard control valve with 1/2" ports is good up to 22gpm and that is true....but not if you have a big rod proportionate to the size of your cylinder. Of course, if your pump is smaller than normal or your cylinder bigger, it is less of a problem. I only mention it because that looks like a big rod you have there, you probably know this stuff so I hope you don't mind me putting in my 2 cents worth.
Good job..... the only thing more satisfying than splitting firewood is building a bigger splitter to do it with, IMHO.

You gotta love when the tires on the splitter are bigger than the tires on the truck you tow it with:)

Looks like a real brute.I built a trailer using a F-250 rear axle,I took the brake drums off,drum brakes can get rusty if it sits around.Just some easy preventive maintenance.Hope it works good for you.

Nice work. Just something to think about here. I would move the wheels/axle back far enough not to be in the way of the operator. Of course every inch back increases tongue weight by considerable. I put mine right at the rear end of the armature. Nice for working but oh that tongue weight!

Harry K

:cheers: Oh damn....I can't wait to build mine! Looking for the perfect cylinder(18" stroke X 5" bore! Short & fat .... just the opposite of how I like my women.:cheers:
Nice job..very inspiring.

OK, for those of you that missed the first portion, yes, that is a 3/4 TON AXLE! Yes, in the last pic it is welded on that axle. Shoes are overrated!!!!! (it only hurts till the pain goes away!!!(I am a redneck, ya know?))
The cyl. is 5 3/4 bore, 3.5 rod with 24' stroke, the motor is a Kawi. 27hp watercooled, the plan for the pump is 27gpm 2 stage! The color? I have picked out. I will let you guess though!!!
Andy

BTW Tunkey: I shiffted back for operator comfort, I don't want to be around those wheels any more than I have to! The less the oporater moves, the better, that is what the help is there for!! (no, I can't spell)
Andy

sawinredneck said:
OK, for those of you that missed the first portion, yes, that is a 3/4 TON AXLE! Yes, in the last pic it is welded on that axle. Shoes are overrated!!!!! (it only hurts till the pain goes away!!!(I am a redneck, ya know?))
The cyl. is 5 3/4 bore, 3.5 rod with 24' stroke, the motor is a Kawi. 27hp watercooled, the plan for the pump is 27gpm 2 stage! The color? I have picked out. I will let you guess though!!!
Andy

Now that is "more power" on the hoof. I doubt you will run into anything it won't split.

Harry K

I am hopeing not to have to need more power, but I do have a 302 lying around that needs a home...... HHHMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!! The plan is not to have to move it anymore than we have to!! Tounge weight.... what I wouldn't give to have some! Right now it is VERY tail heavy and I have a grate that goes on the back as well as needing to box in the beam, even more weight. I am going to set the motor as far forward as I can, and the tounge is being built out of 3x3x3/8" tubeing, but not sure if that is even enough.
Not sure about the log lift yet, seems to get in the way more than it is useful from what I have been reading. Plus as fast as I can half logs with the saw is it really worth it? I do want to build a staging center, a rack on the passenger side so the help can load it up and the operator just "rolls" the next log into place.
It is being re-desiengd daily so any ad all input is very welcome;)
No guesses on the color yet?
Andy

Got the load table and outfeed table on it. The motor plate and mounts are welded on, got the 28gpm two stage pump ready, need to build the cage for it, then plumb it up.
Problem I am running into now is I can't find the lovejoy connectors for the pump to the motor!!!!!! The motor shaft is 1 1/8", the pump is 5/8" shaft. I can find both couplers, but not the same size, and NOT that will handle a 27hp motor!!! Really don't want to direct couple it, but running out of ideas fast!!!
Andy

redneck trike

Andy get some grader valving and ad a hyd. motor to the rear end, put a single steer front tire on the tounge, a small cyl. to turn with and you will have a TRISPLITER :) you could move it to any sight.

I just love the liquids in the enginering room!

Problem I am running into now is I can't find the lovejoy connectors for the pump to the motor!!!!!! The motor shaft is 1 1/8", the pump is 5/8" shaft. I can find both couplers, but not the same size, and NOT that will handle a 27hp motor!!! Really don't want to direct couple it, but running out of ideas fast!!!
Andy

With the Lovejoy "hytrel" disc (elastomeric) between the hubs it seems like either the L095, L099, L100, or L110 should work. Here's a link with prices and additional Lovejoy links with detailed HP ratings at various RPMs that might help:

http://www.ohiobelting.com/lovejoy1.htm

Also, here's a link to the Lovejoy coupling catalog, just scroll down to page 20 and you'll find the specs I was referring to above:

http://www.ohiobelting.com/pdfs/lovejoycplg.pdf

Hopefully this helps ... looking forward to seeing pics of the completed splitter, it looks GREAT!

Just picked them up this week:rock: Now to build the cage!!! I need the wife to go back to work so I can get some things done!!!
Andy

Latest posts

Back