New Stihl 026 With Autolite Spark Plug..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jus2fat

Two Harley Fatboys
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this before..?? - As said..dude said it was sold from the dealer as NEW...(late 1980's)

Is of German decent with '1' being the first # of the serial number...(owner said it did have a 'scratch' on the 026 label)

I thought that Stihl ONLY used Bosch for their plugs - -and Autolight being American..?? - Humm..??..:dunno:

I don't think that Stihl would have let the saw with 'scratched' 026 label out the door.

I think the dude that has it now...super lightly used...got sold a 'used' chainsaw - - - What say you guys..??

(anyone ever heard of Stihl using any other brand spark plug other than Bosch..??)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
non of the saw makers have ever used autolite that I know of,,, but I may be wrong,,, most of the time I am

Has anyone ever seen this before..?? - As said..dude said it was sold from the dealer as NEW...(late 1980's)

Is of German decent with '1' being the first # of the serial number...(owner said it did have a 'scratch' on the 026 label)

I thought that Stihl ONLY used Bosch for their plugs - -and Autolight being American..?? - Humm..??..:dunno:

I don't think that Stihl would have let the saw with 'scratched' 026 label out the door.

I think the dude that has it now...super lightly used...got sold a 'used' chainsaw - - - What say you guys..??

(anyone ever heard of Stihl using any other brand spark plugs rather than Bosch..??)
J2F

My new Stihl FS-250R came with an NGK plug in it.

Was the saw just purchase(NOS) or was it bought back in the 80's? 25 years ago, chainsaws were looked at as tools, not something to collect and read about on the Internet. I am sure a Stihl dealer would sell it with a scratch. Not sure about the plug.

Was the saw just purchase(NOS) or was it bought back in the 80's? 25 years ago, chainsaws were looked at as tools, not something to collect and read about on the Internet. I am sure a Stihl dealer would sell it with a scratch. Not sure about the plug.
Owner said that he bought it NEW from the local Stihl dealer back in the late 1980's.

Dealer pulled it off the rack and added fuel/mix and bar oil...fired it up and demonstrated on some wood behind store.

On sale closure...dealer upgraded the bar to 18" and a NEW chain...and also gave him another NEW chain in box
(Owner still has the 2nd chain in the box ~ a little rusty ~ and Stihl doesn't even make this chain anymore..!!)

Also..gave him a 6-pack of 'orange' fuel mix oil ...and...a gallon of Stihl bar oil..!! - - He said $369 + tax
(has the original chain on it...hand-sharpened once...2nd chain...3 bottles 'orange' mix and 3/4 gallon of bar oil)
=====================================================================

Says it ain't for sale...he might need it someday...(he's late 80's)..!! - :givebeer:

EDIT: I spoke with my Mom and she said he was about 77~78 yrs. old...NOT late 80's....looks deceiving..!!

Just said he was just surprised to see the Autolite plug in it when he went to clean the filter all those years ago
J2F

Last edited:
Does he remember back in the fall of 95 when the storm came threw town and he need to make a few cuts and the saw would not start, so he went to the local hardware store and got a new plug that the 17 year old clerk told him would work. Made the two cuts and put the saw back up on the shelf.:hmm3grin2orange:

Does he remember back in the fall of 95 when the storm came threw town and he need to make a few cuts and the saw would not start, so he went to the local hardware store and got a new plug that the 17 year old clerk told him would work. Made the two cuts and put the saw back up on the shelf.:hmm3grin2orange:
No really...the old guy (friend of my Mom) said this was exactly the way that he bought it...and HE did the once sharpening

Soo..it is the original..he was gonna 'wash' the filter..why I dunno..and decided to check the spark plug..surprise..Autolite..!!

He just asked me if Stihl used other brands of spark plugs...and I told him I didn't think so...at least in that time period.

That's when he said he thinks the dealer actually sold him a 'used' saw at a NEW saw price..??
J2F

you know we can solve this problem real fast,,,,, just send the POS to me:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I've been around and using NGK spark plugs since 1965 or so. Worked in several cycle shops as well and sold thousands of them over the years, long ago.

The new NGK plugs don't look like the ones I sold years ago. They just look to be a little cheaper made. I can't say that they don't perform as well, as I haven't had any issues with them.

The metal part of the plug was always anodized gold and the edges were smoothed and not sharp or rough. The porcelain appears to be thinner and not as well finished either. Even the threads appear to be cut in such a way, that it's more cost effective (cheaper).

Oh well, in this day and age, I shouldn't be surprised. :msp_mellow:

you know we can solve this problem real fast,,,,, just send the POS to me:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
You know that...IF...I could...'finagle'...the old buzzard out of the saw and send it to you.....

Your wife would for sure....confiscate it to 'upgrade' from "her"....MS170....and you're once again....SOL...!! - :msp_tongue:
J2F

Last edited:
Dealer may have had a problem with the bosch plugs that came in his saws.May have scratched it installing a new plug.:msp_thumbup:

Dealer may have had a problem with the bosch plugs that came in his saws.May have scratched it installing a new plug.:msp_thumbup:
No really...I saw the saw I'm speaking of - the 'scratch' is...NOT light...but seriously scratched with something metal.

You don't need any tool to remove the air filter cover - - soo that's NOT it.. - we'll NEVER know the truth

If the dealer had a problem with the' plug' that came in the saw...just switch to another Bosch plug.....Autolite..??

Also the owner just ran the Autolite plug..it's still in it..!! - that's how low the use of this saw is..!!...(he showed me..!!)
J2F

I meant that the dealer didn't like Bosch Plugs in general and may have switched all of the saws he sold to Autolite. I should have clarified that.;)

I meant that the dealer didn't like Bosch Plugs in general and may have switched all of the saws he sold to Autolite. I should have clarified that.;)
Well...'one' would think as a Stihl dealer that the switching of plugs would NOT be a very smart idea...(corporate)

But on the other hand...my local Stihl does NOT stock Stihl files...but rather the 'Pfred' brand @ over $2 apiece .

BUT..I can order the Stihl files (dealer orders twice a week) so in a couple days I get them at $15.62..a dozen..!!..:msp_thumbup:
J2F

I don't have my notes in front of me right now to recall the new brand of plug, but Stihl will be switching from Bosch in the near future. Several models come with NGK already.

A scratch in the label that is deep and appears to made with something sharp like the chain on the chainsaw that was sitting on the shelf next to this one? Customers pick up saws and swing them around a bit to check the feel and balance. Could a clumsy customer have grazed the bar of the saw he was handling against another saw on the display? Seems perfectly plausible to me.

It humors me that there is concern over the spark plug and "newness" of a saw that was sold over two decades ago. Maybe this should have been looked into about three or four presidents ago.

Latest posts

Back