New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A giant can of worms it is. I attained my CTSP a little over three years ago. Working on my ISA CA now. Don’t forget that for the EHAP you’ll need aerial rescue and CPR training. And how are you getting guys to get a CDL A? We have a hard enough time finding guys with a valid drivers license. Class A is next to impossible to find. We do have two young guys enrolled in classes for that right now.
I will say that since we’ve implemented a safety and training program, we’ve had a lot less “ incidents “. We did have a few injuries this year and those I say we’re from over confidence and pride. Also ( this is going to sound bad ) with 40 field employees, kind of expected. I did do accident reports and investigations on both. Safety meetings with the entire company about both. We also have a weekly meeting on property damage (minor stuff mostly) and “near misses”. Paperwork and pictures or videos for what seems like everything now. It seems like a giant PITA at first but really has been helpful.
40 employees to manage? Wow! Do you work with the crews or do you focus exclusively on safety?

I'd be interested in learning more about your safety program. We are beginning the pathway through tcia accreditation. Do you allow your guys to one hand a topper saw?

My 5 field employees are all pretty good drivers. I'd like all of them to get cdls but hiring out the training is pretty spendy so we are starting with 2. It's 6200 for both using our own equipment, which I think is actually a pretty old deal. We did do aerial rescue and cpr so basically they all just need to finish the online class for ehap. Honestly I didn't realize you weren't supposed to go within 10' of ANY conductor. I can't count how many times we've worked around service and cable lines, literally touching them.

I can't count how many times we've worked around service and cable lines, literally touching them.
never heard of a MAD for house drops and cable lines other than avoid contact, who says its 10ft?
ansi says stuff about incidental line clearance but still qualified, which would be EHAP I guess, common practice is to not touch low voltage and stay atleast 10ft from anything bigger than 240 volts

definition of "incidental line clearance" as per ANSI Z133-2017 page 46
1672929858535.png
for incidental line clearance
1672929801077.png
for line clearance arborist
1672929753129.png

never heard of a MAD for house drops and cable lines other than avoid contact, who says its 10ft?
ansi says stuff about incidental line clearance but still qualified, which would be EHAP I guess, common practice is to not touch low voltage and stay atleast 10ft from anything bigger than 240 volts

definition of "incidental line clearance" as per ANSI Z133-2017 page 46
View attachment 1046377
for incidental line clearance
View attachment 1046376
for line clearance arborist
View attachment 1046375

Good question. A line clearance arborist contracts directly with the utility company. An incidental line clearance arborist does not but both need to be ehap certified if they are to work within 10'. There should be another MAD chart for non qualified arborists.

For me it's a great selling point. There are no other residential companies in my area who have ehap. If there's a house drop, I can tell the customer any arborist they hire must legally have ehap.

The class is pretty inexpensive with tcia, especially if you are a tcia member. It's great for any arborist to take.

An incidental line clearance arborist does not but both need to be ehap certified if they are to work within 10'
and there you go, again why I hate all these rules, gotta search the EXACT term they want you to use to find the rules
but oh no, you didnt follow the rules we make really hard to find, here is a $100K fine

1672935914022.png

ive looked into it, any minimum age? no interest in playing around high voltage but im sure its worth it in the long run
nothing ive found has a minimum age listed for it

Well, since you asked....

According to OSHA you're supposed to be at least 18 to climb a tree, run a chainsaw, drive a skid steer, or feed a chipper. We have a 16 yr old trainee/intern working with us this summer who basically can only rake and drag brush. So I wouldn't encourage you to work around any voltage.

However, It's pretty impressive what you've done and you're certainly more skilled than any high-school tree person I've ever met. But if the OSHA police came by one of your job sites with you hanging off a crane hook, you and your dad would probably get into more than a little trouble.

That said, what an excellent time for you to get training and certifications like ehap. You could be a certified arborist by the time you hit college, get a degree in arboriculture. You'd be so far ahead of the game, it would set you up for an amazing career.

If I can be somewhat blunt, the only thing getting in your way is your ego. You would be wise to listen to what some of the others have said in this thread about respect and humility.

@mikewhite85
I work in the field with a crew. Most days I’m the crane operator. With a sub crane, I’m the climber/ rigger. On the real nasty jobs I’m the climber. Any non crane normal tree job I’m just there to do ground work and advise the climber or bucket operator. I spend a majority of the time with one crew but bounce around randomly to advise. It’s kind of chaotic really. There are days where my normal crew has to wait on me to show up with the crane because I have to go give advise to another.
Our safety training is basically what TCIA has. We don’t register it all with them but we keep our own records. There are also a bunch of videos from different manufacturers that we watch and then go over. And we also do incident reports and near miss discussions. Job briefings, tail gate safety meetings, lunch time discussion, and encourage any discussion through out the day on anything that could potentially go wrong and ways to mitigate them. Everyone has SENA’s and are required to be linked when working. I also spend countless hours on forums and facey space reading and looking at accidents to keep in fresh in everyone’s minds that bad **** happens.
And to that always never ending debate of one handing a top handle, we encourage two hands. I really try to keep the climbers from doing it. Not easy because I’m guilty of it. I started climbing in the 020T days and it was pretty much accepted. I try to lead by example but at times I revert back to the dark side. Occasionally I’ll announce when I’m going to do it and explain the reason why and also ask of anyone has a better solution. Bucket babies are harder to yell at for it. I encourage two hands but don’t push them on it like I probably should.
Sorry it’s a long post as I’m rambling on. I’m better at reading than writing

@mikewhite85
I work in the field with a crew. Most days I’m the crane operator. With a sub crane, I’m the climber/ rigger. On the real nasty jobs I’m the climber. Any non crane normal tree job I’m just there to do ground work and advise the climber or bucket operator. I spend a majority of the time with one crew but bounce around randomly to advise. It’s kind of chaotic really. There are days where my normal crew has to wait on me to show up with the crane because I have to go give advise to another.
Our safety training is basically what TCIA has. We don’t register it all with them but we keep our own records. There are also a bunch of videos from different manufacturers that we watch and then go over. And we also do incident reports and near miss discussions. Job briefings, tail gate safety meetings, lunch time discussion, and encourage any discussion through out the day on anything that could potentially go wrong and ways to mitigate them. Everyone has SENA’s and are required to be linked when working. I also spend countless hours on forums and facey space reading and looking at accidents to keep in fresh in everyone’s minds that bad **** happens.
And to that always never ending debate of one handing a top handle, we encourage two hands. I really try to keep the climbers from doing it. Not easy because I’m guilty of it. I started climbing in the 020T days and it was pretty much accepted. I try to lead by example but at times I revert back to the dark side. Occasionally I’ll announce when I’m going to do it and explain the reason why and also ask of anyone has a better solution. Bucket babies are harder to yell at for it. I encourage two hands but don’t push them on it like I probably should.
Sorry it’s a long post as I’m rambling on. I’m better at reading than writing
Thanks. Great info!

From memory, I think the 6004t is like 10,500lbs. 4400lbs lift capacity. The grapple and backing plate weigh 800 or 850lbs. So subtract basically 800 and I figure it can still pick 3600lbs (or thereabouts). Pretty retarded, seems like three times the mini (which is still impressive enough in its own right).

Honestly, the big machine is fun to have, but now that I have the log truck it almost seems like I don’t need the 6004 for day to day tree work. I’m not sure you would see enough ROI with a bigger machine to make it worth it? Have you thought about a good, used medium duty hook lift like epicklein22 was looking for?
Thanks for commenting back on your papa Giant. You have a lot of valid points. I just feel that the most time consuming aspect of our work is dealing with the larger wood that we our encountering. The past year we had probably 5-7 week long jobs and cutting big heavy ash and pine trees into 5' sections just takes forever.

I believe in my future we will get ahold of a nice hook lift. They seem like the way to go these days "Possibly 2024". For us a log truck doesn't make to much sense. We have plenty on log truck for hire guys running around.

I think that avant 860I weight is close to 6,000# and can pick around 4,000#-4500#. $112,000 full cab without the grapple. Kinda spendy!

Thanks for commenting back on your papa Giant. You have a lot of valid points. I just feel that the most time consuming aspect of our work is dealing with the larger wood that we our encountering. The past year we had probably 5-7 week long jobs and cutting big heavy ash and pine trees into 5' sections just takes forever.

I believe in my future we will get ahold of a nice hook lift. They seem like the way to go these days "Possibly 2024". For us a log truck doesn't make to much sense. We have plenty on log truck for hire guys running around.

I think that avant 860I weight is close to 6,000# and can pick around 4,000#-4500#. $112,000 full cab without the grapple. Kinda spendy!

If your looking for a larger articulated loader another option is to look outside of units that’s are considered for tree work. They can be considerably cheaper.
We paid 50+ k for a baby Giant. That money gets you a much more robust machine in Volvo or CAT in the used market.

If your looking for a larger articulated loader another option is to look outside of units that’s are considered for tree work. They can be considerably cheaper.
We paid 50+ k for a baby Giant. That money gets you a much more robust machine in Volvo or CAT in the used market.
The problem with those machines is that for the same lift capacity your looking at a 10,000lbs + machine. For residential tree work it needs to be turf friendly.

But your right you would get much more bang for your buck. Either spend the money or give it to the IRS.

Mines actually something like 11,300lbs with the grapple. Having a machine that heavy definitely has its perks. Moves trees like toothpicks and It weighs almost exactly the same as my chipper, so moves it around beautifully with the hitch I had put together for it.

It’s a lot of investment though for sure. The supposed giant equivalent of mine (G3500?) is like 105k with no attachments. My valby grapple was $10,500, plus forks, bucket. I do suppose I would die inside without that machine though. Lol.

“According to OSHA you're supposed to be at least 18 to climb a tree, run a chainsaw, drive a skid steer, or feed a chipper. We have a 16 yr old trainee/intern working with us this summer who basically can only rake and drag brush. So I wouldn't encourage you to work around any voltage.”

I remember when I looked into hiring my 17 year old nephew they said he could rake and drag brush, etc., but legally couldn’t even be on a job with a tractor, backhoe, bobcat, etc. operating. I think that was the CT department of labor, but not sure, it’s been a while.

Latest posts

Back