New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only born this week and even I could tell the same thing!
I think that coffee is lookin like your tell. Just saying.

Whenever there’s been any whining about the conversation going on, your head invariably pops up. Just an observation over the last fifteen years or so….
both wrong, ladies

but that's ok

Lol, didn’t realize there were enough of us left for moderation to go on anything even remotely resembling a “spree”?:laugh:

Ok. I'll give you that. It'd be a fairly short run.

Perhaps we would have a more active membership if newcomers didn't have to prove their bonafides and contend with all the back-biting.

I learned an awful lot of arboriculture here at this website, and it wasn't by reading threads about who was worthy of being in the forum. There was still a fair amount of that back in the day, but it was more about how to do our work, what techniques were being used, how the new equipment measured up, etc.

Still here. Not really into bickering. The kid will grow up eventually. May even learn some humility.

Flat out getting existing & new guys up to speed & moving yard, which is inconvenient to say the least, particularly mid-winter when it involves 100’s of tonnes of wood stockpiles.

Selling plenty of fuelwood between jobs, actually a great way to drum up additional quotes, drop off a load of wood, check out the trees.

83D1F033-3CD6-4F52-AED1-13C67E3C7D14.jpeg

67B724E5-D8CD-4FA9-B0FA-2F9A0E53210A.jpeg

A6CD9002-3266-426D-B054-BE73671D8A91.jpeg

41004C19-EB00-4A09-B1F8-B470FD45E714.jpeg

7525E0A5-98F8-4CF5-B735-C73D2E286345.jpeg

7E9BB49E-5075-4107-8F0E-69D215FCFA4A.jpeg

CB64BF9B-0C58-453F-B122-77950AD62D60.jpeg

New guy coming along well.

Irish accent can be hard to understand, but he shackled himself to the splitter for enough hours to break a normal person & picked up some nails heading toward the chipper, amongst just generally working like a bastard & getting paid to keep fit.

Had a job at a small brewery, regular client, shouted the boys lunch & they gave us free beer at end of the day. Good for morale.

New machine can't come fast enough to help get more logs processed & stockpiled to season.

E9A0CB60-3586-4B9A-BBCF-87B4B84C37F3.jpeg

9892B94F-170F-4B29-A44E-E56268403B91.jpeg

3032295A-A5EE-4BBD-BB60-4D92F5767A5A.jpeg

D2E7DE83-CE1B-4C04-8EF9-4CE1798ED644.jpeg

00ACC48D-A00F-4568-89FF-F1815A7CAF89.jpeg

FA61A2C2-6957-4DDC-95A7-2266A04394BE.jpeg

6D5615E6-1F7A-4307-A267-4CE02E1B14C4.jpeg

EC123E15-232C-4D71-BD92-856FB9BE9D29.jpeg

BD68F760-6916-4912-A948-E0A171B3B5D1.jpeg

66DF7E65-D402-4477-8B02-5AB4216C1C48.jpeg

Your region in aussieland seems to be quite the melting pot. I'm just trying to imagine you, an Irishman, and an Italian trying to understand each other and i can't help but read your posts in an Australian accent. Learning new phrases to boot like "shouted" lunch.

How does the income compare from crew time to selling firewood? It doesn't look very wintery over there. Strangely I'm starting to miss the cold weather.

Today my crew worked on some removals. I went on about 8 or 9 bids. I've been trying to trim my prices a bit since I'm finally caught up with my spring backlog with only about 3 weeks lead time now. Hope to bid as a sub for a big nightmarish half mile clear-cut on a sloped state road on Thursday. Would keep the guys busy for weeks with prevailing wage. 48 bucks an hour isn't bad.
20230710_093054.jpg

Your region in aussieland seems to be quite the melting pot. I'm just trying to imagine you, an Irishman, and an Italian trying to understand each other and i can't help but read your posts in an Australian accent. Learning new phrases to boot like "shouted" lunch.

How does the income compare from crew time to selling firewood? It doesn't look very wintery over there. Strangely I'm starting to miss the cold weather.

Today my crew worked on some removals. I went on about 8 or 9 bids. I've been trying to trim my prices a bit since I'm finally caught up with my spring backlog with only about 3 weeks lead time now. Hope to bid as a sub for a big nightmarish half mile clear-cut on a sloped state road on Thursday. Would keep the guys busy for weeks with prevailing wage. 48 bucks an hour isn't bad.
View attachment 1096404

Throw in the Pom there as well....

There is the odd mis-understanding, particularly because I like to run a sub-language of nicknames, colloquialisms & metaphors. A thick Irish accent is next level though, much harder to understand than Italian, even though allegedly they use English as a base language.

Is indeed a multi-national region, as is Australia in general, but my region particularly attracts a lot of younger international demographic with the quality consistent surf & abundance of work.

Good for genetic diversity with the younger demographic & range of international ladies, am reminded of this when going elsewhere, the latinas & Euro tend to have more self control regarding food & exercise than the Anglo backgrounds (be at me Karens....).

The additional wood processing time at moment is kind of forced with having to move yard, it may as well be sold or split & stockpiled ready for sale next year & it provides more hours for the guys. Certainly less per man hour than dedicated treework, but like all the byproduct value adding, it adds on to the treework & really was reflected in figures from last financial year, adding substantially to each days turnover, with not a great deal of extra resources. Once the processing becomes more efficient, think the fuelwood really will shine.

Running some sums recently, considering the lower cost of equipment & manpower required, scaled up, there is some big money in the fuelwood business, particularly developing your own plantation source which am looking to do, especially if it runs parallel to a tree business. Know a business where am looking to move too that does that - the fuelwood side of things turns over more than 3-4 tree crews!!

Sold the quad bike on the weekend. Still not sure it was a good decision.

32043575-C964-432E-9DE0-1DB66503946F.jpeg

In the midst of a horror job, mulching five acres of olive cuttings that someone else pruned. Wet, wiry & very recalcitrant, problem is mechanical advantage doesn't go very far with damn olive cuttings. Basically have to hand to hand combat every single piece to the rollers. Can crush them up with the grab & bring large bundles to the chipper, but then have to untangle them.

Absolute bastards of things.

Dogs having a great time though, relaxing in the brief sunbursts, smashing rats & keeping an eye on the three resident boomers in the olive grove.

A8B82D30-0A0F-4EC2-A83E-72DB4C2BDA15.jpeg

8F79A1B0-975E-4EB9-AC63-1D5A1C38074E.jpeg

87CA8811-04CC-4BFC-BB1E-4582ED27C6B0.jpeg

4D586355-C731-4442-B680-C9B40906E0F2.jpeg

Sold the quad bike on the weekend. Still not sure it was a good decision.

View attachment 1096493

In the midst of a horror job, mulching five acres of olive cuttings that someone else pruned. Wet, wiry & very recalcitrant, problem is mechanical advantage doesn't go very far with damn olive cuttings. Basically have to hand to hand combat every single piece to the rollers. Can crush them up with the grab & bring large bundles to the chipper, but then have to untangle them.

Absolute bastards of things.

Dogs having a great time though, relaxing in the brief sunbursts, smashing rats & keeping an eye on the three resident boomers in the olive grove.

View attachment 1096498

View attachment 1096496

View attachment 1096494

View attachment 1096497

Do you charge per hour on chipping jobs? It always seems to bite me when I do a lump sum.

A root grapple will work much better for gathering the brush in that circumstance. We have a bmg but my guys prefer that root grapple
Perhaps it's the nature of the more rural work we do but we haven't used the bmg much in the last 2 years.

I have both, the BMG is the cats ass for feeding the chipper, root grapple for literally anything else, sometimes I take both and swap when it comes time to load logs in the trailer

Do you charge per hour on chipping jobs? It always seems to bite me when I do a lump sum.

A root grapple will work much better for gathering the brush in that circumstance. We have a bmg but my guys prefer that root grapple
Perhaps it's the nature of the more rural work we do but we haven't used the bmg much in the last 2 years.

Yes, by the hour, although I often make the mistake of not factoring in the extra fuel / chipper hour surcharge on jobs like that where the machine is running at operating speed for so many hours straight.

The rotating grapple is the bomb for gathering brush because your can crush & manipulate it, even to the mm around tree stems. Have a very nice brush / root grapple, but really that attachment is like doing fine carpentry with a club hammer after having a five finger grapple. Problem is actually getting the short, wide & wiry olive cuttings to the rollers, tried sausaging big bundles with the grab, partially worked, but much of time was simply stuffing pieces to the rollers, which was absolute pox given the volume had to deal with. Bandit drums love smashing through big wood, but leafy, leathery pox isn't their favoured material.

100 odd cubic metres (5 truckloads) of 'mulch', another 150 or so cubic metres stuffed into a large burn pile. Wanted to finish it in equivalent of two days, so alongside the chipper, decided to fill the tipper trailer with loads & add to their burn pile to make the rows of cuttings disappear more quickly. Incessant showers meant everyone was nicely soaked from hand to hand combat with the olives. Somewhere amongst the mud runs to the burn pile, a nasty piece of olive managed to damage the front mudflap on the dual cab ute as well. Not a big thing, but annoying. To make me feel better, in the various reversing down rows in the rain, the 400HP chipper truck don't argued the side off one tree, without even flinching, but that brief moment of glory was rapidly forgotten having to Mad Max drive my way through the narrow ornamental pears & olive rows to get enough momentum to get through a rapidly developing mud hole where some irrigation had been trenched in.

Made it into the top 20 shitful jobs.

B97FA37C-724B-4156-B1E3-7DAEA1EF7890.jpeg

A5F69604-F53F-4E78-9AB2-0896856D6D08.jpeg

C92B75FE-1C4B-418D-BF7E-ED9259E1112F.jpeg

Yes, by the hour, although I often make the mistake of not factoring in the extra fuel / chipper hour surcharge on jobs like that where the machine is running at operating speed for so many hours straight.

The rotating grapple is the bomb for gathering brush because your can crush & manipulate it, even to the mm around tree stems. Have a very nice brush / root grapple, but really that attachment is like doing fine carpentry with a club hammer after having a five finger grapple. Problem is actually getting the short, wide & wiry olive cuttings to the rollers, tried sausaging big bundles with the grab, partially worked, but much of time was simply stuffing pieces to the rollers, which was absolute pox given the volume had to deal with. Bandit drums love smashing through big wood, but leafy, leathery pox isn't their favoured material.

100 odd cubic metres (5 truckloads) of 'mulch', another 150 or so cubic metres stuffed into a large burn pile. Wanted to finish it in equivalent of two days, so alongside the chipper, decided to fill the tipper trailer with loads & add to their burn pile to make the rows of cuttings disappear more quickly. Incessant showers meant everyone was nicely soaked from hand to hand combat with the olives. Somewhere amongst the mud runs to the burn pile, a nasty piece of olive managed to damage the front mudflap on the dual cab ute as well. Not a big thing, but annoying. To make me feel better, in the various reversing down rows in the rain, the 400HP chipper truck don't argued the side off one tree, without even flinching, but that brief moment of glory was rapidly forgotten having to Mad Max drive my way through the narrow ornamental pears & olive rows to get enough momentum to get through a rapidly developing mud hole where some irrigation had been trenched in.

Made it into the top 20 shitful jobs.

View attachment 1096963

View attachment 1096964

View attachment 1096965
Ok I see. Very nice looking machine. I like the grapple.

Nice big rotten white pine removal today. Hopping on a plane to Florida this afternoon with my 2 middle kids.

20230713_092414.jpg20230713_094247.jpg

Back