New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@tree MDS That sucks about your guy quitting. I’m not even the owner of the company and I hate it when a good man puts in his notice. Usually they get out of tree work altogether. I’ve been keeping an eye on a climber from another company. Kid is awesome at what he does. He put in his notice and says he’s done with it. I’m fighting the urge to offer him a job. Kinda want to see if it’s in his blood or not. If so, he will be calling me hopefully.
Another day of fun. More trees removed and the season is rolling along good. Mini blew a line and I spent an hour or so cussing engineers that design things to be a huge PITA to work on. I’m redesigning the hose routing so I don’t need to pull the drive motor to change these lines next time.

@tree MDS That sucks about your guy quitting. I’m not even the owner of the company and I hate it when a good man puts in his notice. Usually they get out of tree work altogether. I’ve been keeping an eye on a climber from another company. Kid is awesome at what he does. He put in his notice and says he’s done with it. I’m fighting the urge to offer him a job. Kinda want to see if it’s in his blood or not. If so, he will be calling me hopefully.
Another day of fun. More trees removed and the season is rolling along good. Mini blew a line and I spent an hour or so cussing engineers that design things to be a huge PITA to work on. I’m redesigning the hose routing so I don’t need to pull the drive motor to change these lines next time.

There’s no being done with it if you’re hard core. You know this. We are the men that make this thing what it is. **** them all. Walk on down slowly.

Removed 9 large trees at a school in a week and then 1 large willow so rotten the 660 would barely pull thru wood was turning into mud. Really nice grappling out the debris don't miss chipping and every big job is getting done quicker and almost no effort.

Attachments

• 20220321_113009.jpg
    20220321_113009.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220321_105359.jpg
    20220321_105359.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220311_072203_HDR.jpg
    20220311_072203_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Sold the split oak job. We're doing it in two weeks. Most I've ever bid on a one tree job. Will be sure to post pics.

Also, I received a negative google review today!
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 10.18.38 PM.png

It was a bit of a bummer because it dropped us down to 4.5 stars. I'm deciding if I should respond at all. I'm definitely not the low ball type company but 3700 was a pretty good deal on her massive backyard silver maple and spruce.

I suppose one negative review kind of humanizes your business and lets the public know you're not just farming for reviews from your friends.

Sold the split oak job. We're doing it in two weeks. Most I've ever bid on a one tree job. Will be sure to post pics.

Also, I received a negative google review today!
View attachment 976313

It was a bit of a bummer because it dropped us down to 4.5 stars. I'm deciding if I should respond at all. I'm definitely not the low ball type company but 3700 was a pretty good deal on her massive backyard silver maple and spruce.

I suppose one negative review kind of humanizes your business and lets the public know you're not just farming for reviews from your friends.

Sounds like textbook homeowner simplistic assessment of the job.

Is she comparing apples with apples or are they two completely different scope jobs?

Hahaha. I got one presently collecting dust. I put some ethanol free fuel in it a few years back. LolView attachment 975565

I think that is the worst Stihl tool ever made.

Bought one for a large job some years back, completely gutless, my 18V Makita drills walk all over it. Is in the "to sell" pile of equipment.

Sounds like textbook homeowner simplistic assessment of the job.

Is she comparing apples with apples or are they two completely different scope jobs?
Completely different. The 1200 job was two easy driveway trees with my smaller crew that took 3 hours. Hers involves substantially larger and more difficult trees. Whats funny is that my 5 minute interaction with her was pleasant and I recommended that she not remove her healthy trees. I was surprised to see the one star review.

Had a solid week.

Post fire hazard work first thing Monday.

bf-1-jpg.976391

bf-2-jpg.976393

bf-3-jpg.976394

bf-4-jpg.976398

bf-5-jpg.976400

bf-6-jpg.976401

bf-7-jpg.976402

Attachments

• BF 1.JPG
    10.8 MB · Views: 124
  • BF 2.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 123
  • BF 3.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 119
  • BF 4.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 120
  • BF 5.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 118
  • BF 6.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 116
  • BF 7.JPG
    10.3 MB · Views: 121
Then straight into three days of plantation work - commercial harvest, powerline clearances & clearing new driveway into building envelope, dawn to dusk.

Almost an Australian cliche, a big boomer (male kangaroo), around 110kg was hit by a vehicle by road at bottom of plantation. Swelled up nicely & got increasingly pungent as the days wore on until could smell him 500m away, wafting through the trees. Thought about towing him away, but close approach was hazardous!!

jp-1-jpg.976412

jp-2-jpg.976413

jp-3-jpg.976415

jp-4-jpg.976416

jp-5-jpg.976417

jp-6-jpg.976418

jp-7-jpg.976419

jp-8-jpg.976420

jp-9-jpg.976424

Attachments

• JP 1.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 123
  • JP 2.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 126
  • JP 3.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 126
  • JP 4.JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 127
  • JP 5.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 122
  • JP 6.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 126
  • JP 7.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 128
  • JP 8.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 122
  • JP 9.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 124
Still in the plantation....

Owner raged at one of my guys for docking a log 0.6m (2 feet) to short. I calmed the situation, then fired up the Rottweiler (the 661) into the oncoming night. Some people are never pleased, even though we've been working at a pace not many can sustain.

Due a resupply of wedges & some apologies to the felling axes once this job is done.

jp-10-jpg.976425

jp-12-jpg.976426

jp-13-jpg.976427

Attachments

• JP 10.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 123
  • JP 12.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 121
  • JP 13.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 122
You guys don't **** around down under. Great pictures and holy **** do those trees grow huge.
Great work and nice kit!

Indeed. Still young trees the majority of them as well, dwarfed by the true old growth further south.

Sad thing is a lot of the 'veteran' trees with hollow butts & various features are ones having to be taken down due to liability issues post fire near arterial roads. We're trying to retain some with our climbing work, but geezus there are some sketchy climbs, forty metres plus trees propped up on 10% of their stem, heavy dense timbers around 1250kg/m. Standard 60m climbing lines, with a base tie we're out of rope getting to first decent limb on some.

All of the burn area is on karst landscape as well, which know the caves systems well from working in karst management, so systems up to 85m deep under some of the trees we're working in.

Working with some government department fallers as well, calm & gutsy characters, nerves of steel, we tend to retreat quite a distance & with haste when sending down big trees, these guys are dropping multi leg hollow butts & standing right near the stump as they implode!!

Latest posts

Back