New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, those are the only safe ways to start a chainsaw. "Drop starting" is expressly forbidden by the safety experts, 'cause they know a lot more about this stuff than we do.

Between myself, my climber, our other climber who helps out sometimes, and our old boss, we have well over 100 years of work experience between us. Uncounted tens of thousands of starts.

Nobody has ever started their saw between their knees or on the ground. Never. Ever.

Nobody seems to ever comment on what to do when your big fat toe boot doesn't fit inside the chainsaw handle
the right side of the bottom "plate" usually sticks out more, put your heel on that reaching over the rear handle
how to hold a big saw between your legs and pull hard enough to overcome a saw with no compression release.
pull it like a man, never once had an issue with that, I dont even use the decomp on the 881

Last of the Fall color. Looking forward to the season ending. It's been the best year but most challenging yet. Looking forward to sitting inside on a nice snowy day. Oh I forgot, I plow. Haha

I think the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

Attachments

• 20221020_100052.jpg
    20221020_100052.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last of the Fall color. Looking forward to the season ending. It's been the best year but most challenging yet. Looking forward to sitting inside on a nice snowy day. Oh I forgot, I plow. Haha

I think the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

Looking forward to those nice snowy days.

Have you figured out how to make money plowing??? I wasn't sure it was possible!

Smashed my windshield today! Was parked behind the bucket and its knuckle bumped up against some deadwood behind. Happened right in front of the GC's safety guy. Kind of laughed it off but overall they are pretty happy with us and we've already got more work with them in the pipeline.

The two London Planetrees we removed turned out to be filled with concrete in the lower 5 ft too!!! What a day. The prime contractor asked me to add an "overage charge" to my invoice. That's a first for me. Found some old mummified squirrels in the trunk to boot.

Smashed my windshield today! Was parked behind the bucket and its knuckle bumped up against some deadwood behind. Happened right in front of the GC's safety guy. Kind of laughed it off but overall they are pretty happy with us and we've already got more work with them in the pipeline.

The two London Planetrees we removed turned out to be filled with concrete in the lower 5 ft too!!! What a day. The prime contractor asked me to add an "overage charge" to my invoice. That's a first for me. Found some old mummified squirrels in the trunk to boot.

Haha. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a ****, but I would’ve paid to see the look on everybody’s faces when that went down on your fancy pants job! :laugh:

The dogs look happy. Two thumbs up!!

Are you planning you go snorkeling with that thing? Lol

Handy thing the snorkels on light utes, with our dusty roads & propensity for flooding.

But yes, this one has the large 'airmax' version to suit the alleged 'Tickford' engine tuning.

You guys have the best looking Trucks over there. I'd love to have something like that for the winter to buzz around in. Looks like fun. Love the bed enclosure. Looks expensive!

Wasn't cheap, but was time for me to buy something for the family after everything that gets bought for the business.

We are going on a longer road trip over summer, should be a good travel vehicle, but expecting to trade it in relatively quickly to get something a bit more robust & business than bling. Personally not a huge fan of 'wellbody' utes, what we call tray backs are much more suited to work & have more space.

But for now it's fun too drive.

Haha. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be a ****, but I would’ve paid to see the look on everybody’s faces when that went down on your fancy pants job! :laugh:
It was a little awkward! The trees were hanging over a literal 3 story wall made of glass panels. I am so happy it was my 350 dollar windshield that got busted instead. Looks like we are going to turn into one of their main tree vendors so I'm pretty stoked.

So I took today off to deal with more equipment bs. Spent half the day dumping chips, wood, switching trailers, etc. Made a call to Bandit tech, dropped of the big chipper at my mechanics, then went down the MTE to pick up my mini G personally. Wasn’t about to wait another day for warrantied delivery when I had time. At least we can do something tomorrow. The ground has been so wet I need that machine!

@Helmstein, that place is definitely a classy operation. That Melissa girl that works in the office, or whatever is particularly easy on the eyes to say the least! Rarely do you find a girl that sounds that cute on the phone actually looks like that. Lol, very impressive.

Looking forward to those nice snowy days.

Have you figured out how to make money plowing??? I wasn't sure it was possible!
Luckily for me I'm just a partner in a plowing business that just drives the truck. No expenses and I don't own the truck. I take 40% before expenses. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

As for the tree side of things, I shut down for the winter and keep the work trucks off the salty roads. Not worth it to me.

So I took today off to deal with more equipment bs. Spent half the day dumping chips, wood, switching trailers, etc. Made a call to Bandit tech, dropped of the big chipper at my mechanics, then went down the MTE to pick up my mini G personally. Wasn’t about to wait another day for warrantied delivery when I had time. At least we can do something tomorrow. The ground has been so wet I need that machine!

@Helmstein, that place is definitely a classy operation. That Melissa girl that works in the office, or whatever is particularly easy on the eyes to say the least! Rarely do you find a girl that sounds that cute on the phone actually looks like that. Lol, very impressive.
Sounds like a productive day! The baby giant is our saving grace when the ground gets saturated. And saturated it is.

You know I never paid much attention to her but now that you mention it! Lol I'm always in a rush to get on with my day seeing as I'm about 1.25hr drive away.

My favorite down there at MTE is Larry. First time I met him he offered me licorice, held the bag out to me and insisted I stick my hand in and grab some. So I did and he said I never met anyone that didn't like licorice. Haha good guy.

When I had so many problems with newtown when I first got the baby giant, the regional rep of Tobroco Giant personaly recommended MTE to get the Job done. That carried weight going In there to MTE.

It was a little awkward! The trees were hanging over a literal 3 story wall made of glass panels. I am so happy it was my 350 dollar windshield that got busted instead. Looks like we are going to turn into one of their main tree vendors so I'm pretty stoked.
I'd take a broken window on my equipment anyday over a customers property.

Hit a gutter with the tall chip truck last week and I was really unhappy. It was the leafless gutter style. BIG MONEY! Luckily no damage to the house itself. I insisted that they send me the bill. Homeowners were totally cool about it.

All the good customers make up for the crappy ones.

well, bought a GRCS today!
and got the perfect tree to test it out on tomorrow, played with it for a few hours today just messing around, its gonna be nice, im going to buy the drill attachment for it and a holehawg at some point

Picked up my big chipper tonight after work. Apparently one of the pressures settings was 500psi low. My guy tweaked everything up a 100psi above spec while he was at it. Looks like this should be the thing finally. I sure hope so!

Mini G is back kicking ass like usual. Nice to have tele function (properly adjusted) back. Had them change the engine oil/filter and hydraulic filter while it was in there.

Just waiting on the tractor now and everything will be back up to par. Nice.

That Melissa girl that works in the office, or whatever is particularly easy on the eyes to say the least! Rarely do you find a girl that sounds that cute on the phone actually looks like that. Lol, very impressive.
Very rarely. Women almost never look like the mental picture you have of them from a phone conversation. Happened to me just yesterday.

Yeah, the chipper did good today… though I didn’t quite get to work it to the degree that crane jobs and heavy, heavy, machine feeding work it. I am pretty hopeful that it’s all set now. Only time will tell for sure. (Next week). We’ll see.

That mini giant is sure back in play though. What a beautiful little machine. I have to admit, I can’t say anything too bad about them. I see them as a revolutionary piece of day to day tree equipment. They really are the perfect tree service buddy. The years sure would’ve been easier with one of these things around back in the day!

Back