New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While that may be true, you haven't quite got the life-choice correct if you are just hiding your opinions. My original post was intended to say that everyone should both be treated with respect and genuinely have it as well. Until they lose your respect.

Now if you take one look at a person and see reasons for them to lose your respect, that's ok. What we show to the world does indeed change their opinion of us, and should be included as a factor that influences how other folks think of us. Life is like a job application: first impressions do matter.

I'm also a firm believer that it is wiser to keep my low opinions of other folks to myself. It's not usually beneficial to me to go around pokin' at folks for no good reason, and showing respect of others is definitely part of projecting to the world who I am.

Zin doesn't seem to think that is important, either.
I can agree with what you are saying here. it is generally pretty quick for me to tell if I like and/or respect someone based off of first impressions, or at least soon after meeting them.

Yeah there is a grapple on the front also. The winch serves as a good counter weight when not being used. I love having 2 functions for one machine. It gets used A LOT more than our mini skid.

Those winches run 3.5-5k for a smaller one. It has been well worth it. We've pulled over many leaners that would otherwise have been a challenge to climb or bucket.

View attachment 1043328

I put a hydraulic winch on the grapple on the front of my tractor. They are much handier when they work together, rather than turning the tractor around to pick up what the winch brought in. The whole thing is mounted with a skid steer quick attachment plate, so it fits on any skid steer. Not so, with a three point mounted winch. Conversely, the 3 point hitch is much stronger, and almost impossible to fall off at a critical moment.

Is there anyting else but a winch on those tractor attachments? Seems like a lot of investment for a limited function. Now if there's a grapple hiding out of the camera view, it makes a dandy attachment.

Just a winch with a pintle hitch below to move trailers etc. (I do have a root grapple for the front of that machine too). The tractor winch is its own unique tool and really shines at what it does. Pto winches are much, much faster than hydraulic winches, and you can mechanically lock the tension on a tree, so between those two factors they are basically the ultimate tool for pulling trees/big trunks, etc. over imo.

I use it on mostly bigger jobs these days. Very handy for dragging trees out of places I could never drive a wheel loader without flipping over. A lot of times doing that sort of work I’ll pull several trees over with the winch and drag them up to where they’re accessible with the big grapple on the giant, then hop on that machine to feed the chipper, stage the logs, etc. Pretty impressive how much even one skilled cutter/machine operator can get done like this.

And FWIW I’m still not gonna pretend to be nice to Acne Tree, or any other wannabe tree retard if I don’t feel so inclined… “IDGAF” what anyone says. It’s called the hate, and I’ve got it. Just saying.

Merry Christmas!!!:yes:

I put a hydraulic winch on the grapple on the front of my tractor. They are much handier when they work together, rather than turning the tractor around to pick up what the winch brought in. The whole thing is mounted with a skid steer quick attachment plate, so it fits on any skid steer. Not so, with a three point mounted winch. Conversely, the 3 point hitch is much stronger, and almost impossible to fall off at a critical moment.
Got a picture of it? That would take 2 circuits to run the grapple and the winch right?

Got a picture of it? That would take 2 circuits to run the grapple and the winch right?

Maybe it uses a diverter of some sort? I’m pretty sure both of those attachments only need two hoses to operate.

He’s been talking about this thing for at least a decade, I’ve never seen a pic. I doubt we ever will at this point. Lol

Been looking for a hooklift truck to add to my fleet. Drove 10 hours a few weeks back to New Hampshire to buy an international 4300 hooklift only to find out the transmission was shot. Had to floor it to even get it to move. Waste of time and money, so I’m done going farther than 5 or 6 hours for a piece of equipment after getting burned on a crane earlier this year in Jersey as well. Gonna wait till I find a no brainer deal closer to home.

Otherwise it’s been a solid year, a bunch of stuff has broken within the last few weeks, but we’ll keep chugging along and making the best of it. The real tree guys on here know how it goes and we’ll make it through a little wiser. I’m starting to look towards what I can improve on for next year in terms of efficiency and communication.

Merry Christmas to my true tree brethren!

Maybe it uses a diverter of some sort? I’m pretty sure both of those attachments only need two hoses to operate.

He’s been talking about this thing for at least a decade, I’ve never seen a pic. I doubt we ever will at this point. Lol
Lol, kinda what I was getting at. Heard a lot, but never seen a picture of anything. I see I’m not the only one to catch on.

Yes indeed. We put in a wire that operates an electric/hydraulic valve out on the grapple. The tractor hydraulic circuit operates either circuit that way with a single tractor circuit.

I used to have that mounted on my bobcat, with a similar arrangement on the control wire. Sadly, the engine went out, and I haven't managed to fix it yet.

Been looking for a hooklift truck to add to my fleet. Drove 10 hours a few weeks back to New Hampshire to buy an international 4300 hooklift only to find out the transmission was shot. Had to floor it to even get it to move. Waste of time and money, so I’m done going farther than 5 or 6 hours for a piece of equipment after getting burned on a crane earlier this year in Jersey as well. Gonna wait till I find a no brainer deal closer to home.

Otherwise it’s been a solid year, a bunch of stuff has broken within the last few weeks, but we’ll keep chugging along and making the best of it. The real tree guys on here know how it goes and we’ll make it through a little wiser. I’m starting to look towards what I can improve on for next year in terms of efficiency and communication.

Merry Christmas to my true tree brethren!
What a bummer! The hook truck idea is such a great set up for tree removals. You'll find a better, more local one!

Merry Christmas to all you guys.

Merry Christmas to you and your people, Tom!

Looking forward to another safe and productive season working with you and Eric!
Only prob you 2 have is it takes 2 major food groups to get together to produce one crane job....a quesadilla...and a lasagna. You got no crane and no clue how to run one...and he got no tree equipment and not the slightest clue how to do tree work. But cheers anywho. Belated Merry Christmas to y'all...including Jeffy :-( from your ole pal Treevet.

Only prob you 2 have is it takes 2 major food groups to get together to produce one crane job....a quesadilla...and a lasagna. You got no crane and no clue how to run one...and he got no tree equipment and not the slightest clue how to do tree work. But cheers anywho. Belated Merry Christmas to y'all...including Jeffy :-( from your ole pal Treevet.

It's not that difficult apparently

You can run your lift (either one) and teach even one of your most bone headed guys or even the homeowner to pull the levers on the crane after you set it up and it is actually like you are running it with the Sena headsets on. You want the headache ball moved 3 inches to the right...it gets moved 3 inches to the right. It is really that easy. I could have a guy off the street do a giant crane removal tomorrow with us both head setted.

Got a picture of it? That would take 2 circuits to run the grapple and the winch right? RT
...He’s been talking about this thing for at least a decade, I’ve never seen a pic. I doubt we ever will at this point. Lol

Ok. I found this old movie; this was the project I put the winch on the grapple for. I'll try to get some pics of it mounted on the tractor, with some closeups of the winch and hydraulic setup.

Ok. I found this old movie; this was the project I put the winch on the grapple for. I'll try to get some pics of it mounted on the tractor, with some closeups of the winch and hydraulic setup.

{YouTube video link}

Note: this link won't work until Dec 28 at noon. Sorry! It's a new upload.

The anticipation is KILLING me!! :yes:

Back