New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a major **** up. I'm glad everyone is okay.

I'm glad a car wasn't under the flipped bucket truck
It was a miracle no one was coming the opposite way on that busy state road. I'm really grateful to God it wasn't worse. There could have been a minivan full of kids coming. He slid the truck on its side over 100 ft into the opposing lane.

I hired the him as a climber trainee (mid 30's) about a year ago. He seemed to have a lot of promise and a good attitude but he's consistently made several costly mistakes, this being by far the worst. Another one happened on Monday. He didn't check to make sure a pintle hitch was pinned correctly and a chipper came off a dump truck as he was pulling into our yard. Resulted in a bent chipper chute and broken electrical connection.

Overall he is a great worker with no drama whatsoever. I'm thinking through how to frame a conversation with him. He's really lucky how everything turned out. Next time it may not go so well.

It’s been a good little splitter, always did its thing for me. The Briggs it came with always had recoil issues (cheap plastic dogs). They stopped making parts for the engine, so for years we just wrapped a rope around the metal hub on the flywheel. Something finally happened to the engine and I put a different one on it (forget the make at the moment), she’s been purring ever since.

What model Deere have you got there?
I forgot that the recoil start rope needed replaced. Other than that the Briggs just keeps humming right along with routine maintenance.

It’s a JD 5420 , 80 engine HP new in about 2004 IIR correctly. Used it cutting, raking,baling hay for several years now earns its keep maintaining the pastures and firewood duties. With the bucket, forks and grapple it does everything I need and then some.

It was a miracle no one was coming the opposite way on that busy state road. I'm really grateful to God it wasn't worse. There could have been a minivan full of kids coming. He slid the truck on its side over 100 ft into the opposing lane.

I hired the him as a climber trainee (mid 30's) about a year ago. He seemed to have a lot of promise and a good attitude but he's consistently made several costly mistakes, this being by far the worst. Another one happened on Monday. He didn't check to make sure a pintle hitch was pinned correctly and a chipper came off a dump truck as he was pulling into our yard. Resulted in a bent chipper chute and broken electrical connection.

Overall he is a great worker with no drama whatsoever. I'm thinking through how to frame a conversation with him. He's really lucky how everything turned out. Next time it may not go so well.
Thanks for sharing, it may help someone slow down before taking that corner.

That's what makes this thread great we post our fails and our wins. Most of us anyway!

Yeah and if you have a ford or Chevy bucket, might wanna think about adding a few leafs for when your tards get into a hard cornering scenario lol.
"Tards" You really are a funny guy.

Let me know if you ever need a hand on a large project my brother and I could come out for the day and help. He actually lives In Ridgefield Ct and I'm 15min above Cannan Ct.

It's always fun to network and meet new people.

20% hight reduction on white birch trees. This was a subcontracting job I took on with a very reputable local arborist. Sometimes it's nice to make a mess and just leave.

The things you learn while around like minded individuals is invaluable.

Attachments

• 20230216_103013.jpg
    20230216_103013.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230216_114410.jpg
    20230216_114410.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Let me know if you ever need a hand on a large project my brother and I could come out for the day and help. He actually lives In Ridgefield Ct and I'm 15min above Cannan Ct.

It's always fun to network and meet new people.

Thanks for the offer man! I’ll definitely take you up on that at some point. Does sound like fun. Maybe we can get both Omme’s in the air or something cool.

So you must be up near Sheffield? Your brother commutes up there from Ridgefield during the season?

Thanks for the offer man! I’ll definitely take you up on that at some point. Does sound like fun. Maybe we can get both Omme’s in the air or something cool.

So you must be up near Sheffield? Your brother commutes up there from Ridgefield during the season?
Ya we are next door in Great Barrington.

Ya, works 4 days a week and stays over 1 or 2 nights a week. He's the real hero of the operation.

Offer stands anytime. We are obviously both proficient on the Baby Giant. It would be interesting to see how the omme compares to the easy lift.

I just learned the other day the plug in electric motor feature to run the easy lift only runs on 220v. Where in the hell am I going to find a 220v plug on a property? I was under the impression that it could run off a standard 110v outlet. Bummer!

I just learned the other day the plug in electric motor feature to run the easy lift only runs on 220v. Where in the hell am I going to find a 220v plug on a property? I was under the impression that it could run off a standard 110v outlet. Bummer!
look at the data plate on the motor/pump, most of the 220v stuff I use will also run on 110 perfectly fine when wired properly, just gotta swap the plug over to a 120 plug or pigtail, diagrams all over google id imagine

Yeah, I’d ask an Easy Lift tech about that one.

I’m assuming yours has batteries and the plug is just supplemental?

That’s the way the omme works. They recommend plugging it in (110) if you’re going to be using it on electric all day.

look at the data plate on the motor/pump, most of the 220v stuff I use will also run on 110 perfectly fine when wired properly, just gotta swap the plug over to a 120 plug or pigtail, diagrams all over google id imagine
or, and this may sound crazy to your customers, make an extension cord with the correct end for the lift on one end, and a dryer plug on the other, use their dryer oulet
or just run off gas/diesel like the rest of us

Yeah, I’d ask an Easy Lift tech about that one.

I’m assuming yours has batteries and the plug is just supplemental?

That’s the way the omme works. They recommend plugging it in (110) if you’re going to be using it on electric all day.
Easylift doesn't have batteries at least my model doesn't. Easylift tech said if you run it off 110v the electric motor will heat up and throw a fuse.

If I were to do it again I would have got the true hybrid model with li-on batteries. Live and you learn.

How often do you run your omme In electric mode?

How often do you run your omme In electric mode?

Not as often as I should. It’s very nice just to have though. Sometimes I’ll shut it off for a few minutes and give my ears a break if I’m not gonna be moving too much. Another time is if doing any real precise movements in transport (track) mode, it slows things down and gives better control (trick one of the mechanics told me about). Really nice being able to talk to customers if there’s an aesthetic question while pruning, or just talk to them in general. One thing I didn’t know for a couple years is that the machine won’t let you drain the battery so far that the engine won’t start, it’ll stop working before that. I never tried it, but good to know. Another thing I like about running on electric is it seems closer to climbing somehow without all that noise.

I think it’s a bit more complicated than just switching plug ends. I believe there are some wires that need changed out on or in the motors as well. We had a power washer at work that could do both but wiring needed changed.

Latest posts

Back