New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zin and I became friends in your absence.🤣

Someone had to carry the torch while you were gone playing with your dingy.

Lol, so I see.

The reality of where I’ve been was pretty miserable. Got that damn Covid for the second time a few weeks back (I had it last December too, but managed pretty well). This time it got me pretty good. Put my heart into a-fib (a horrible experience I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy). One day I just started feeling like death walking, could hardly breathe. Like any good tree guy I of course had to be practically dead before I went to the er. I didn’t know what was wrong, thought it was just my heart, had no idea it was the Covid again.

Long story short, after a couple days in icu I said **** you and signed myself out. I’ve gotta have my heart shocked back into rhythm next month. Was kind of tough getting started again Monday, but I am back up on the horse and feeling pretty good now. Kind of threw a wrench in things, but whatever.

Any of you guys with giant 254t /g1200 get one of these for the seat. Best 100 bucks you ever spent.

Purple Royal Seat Cushion - Seat Cushion for The Car Or Office Chair - Temperature Neutral Grid

https://a.co/d/feucqud

I’ve been meaning to get that thing for a year now! Lol. Can be a torturous little machine on some jobs without!!

i always try to tell the climbers im working with to rig up as simply as possible and let the crane take care of positioning or balance issues. the idea is to make it as easy as possible on the climber.
I respect that. I should’ve added that the spider leg rigging was both of our choice for the situation that day. The kid loves to monkey around as well. Really doesn’t take him much time to set up the balancers.
What’s your preference on chokers? Endless loops or eyes? I’ve got guys that love one and hate the other and then guys that are the opposite.

Hey, nice bear. He just hung out while you guys worked??? I usually don't even have time to snap a picture when I see one.

Today I finally received a loss settlement from my insurance Co from the bucket truck accident back in February.

Their first offer was 23k, which I contested (and why it took so long). We ended up getting 38k for our 2004 f650, which I am much happier with. It was a GREAT old truck and I miss having it around. However, not having an under cdl bucket truck forced 3 of us to get cdls, which has worked to our benefit. I'm thinking about getting a beater log truck to fix up with the money. There are lots of log hauling opportunities around here. The other thought is to build a tracked chipper with my 12" woodchuck.

I respect that. I should’ve added that the spider leg rigging was both of our choice for the situation that day. The kid loves to monkey around as well. Really doesn’t take him much time to set up the balancers.
What’s your preference on chokers? Endless loops or eyes? I’ve got guys that love one and hate the other and then guys that are the opposite.
most of my climbers prefer the endless nylons with using shackles to make the choke. slings last a long time and they have a very good safety factor if there is an oops.

Hey, nice bear. He just hung out while you guys worked??? I usually don't even have time to snap a picture when I see one.

Today I finally received a loss settlement from my insurance Co from the bucket truck accident back in February.

Their first offer was 23k, which I contested (and why it took so long). We ended up getting 38k for our 2004 f650, which I am much happier with. It was a GREAT old truck and I miss having it around. However, not having an under cdl bucket truck forced 3 of us to get cdls, which has worked to our benefit. I'm thinking about getting a beater log truck to fix up with the money. There are lots of log hauling opportunities around here. The other thought is to build a tracked chipper with my 12" woodchuck.

We were actually packing up when I spotted him about 150’ from where the lift was. He left and then came back. He was very into eating something (I thought maybe grubs), actually laid down to chow. Further inspection today revealed the neighbors must be feeding him what looked like cat food. Stupid ****s.

So you got another 15k out of the insurance company. Good deal! I never trust those bastards though, always afraid they’ll get you back somewhere eventually.

I would take the money and put it towards a lift if I were you. Just saying. Homemade track chipper is a fun sounding idea, but let’s face it, you aren’t Mad Max and this ain’t Beyond Thunderdome lol.

I couldn’t live without a big lift. Total game changer and excellent ROI.
2E2AD5C3-5065-4E51-8F1D-0CC9F46DA2B2.jpeg7FA3FB46-B73F-486A-BC63-FDF11B0DC34C.jpeg

We were actually packing up when I spotted him about 150’ from where the lift was. He left and then came back. He was very into eating something (I thought maybe grubs), actually laid down to chow. Further inspection today revealed the neighbors must be feeding him what looked like cat food. Stupid ****s.

So you got another 15k out of the insurance company. Good deal! I never trust those bastards though, always afraid they’ll get you back somewhere eventually.

I would take the money and put it towards a lift if I were you. Just saying. Homemade track chipper is a fun sounding idea, but let’s face it, you aren’t Mad Max and this ain’t Beyond Thunderdome lol.

I couldn’t live without a big lift. Total game changer and excellent ROI.
View attachment 1083155View attachment 1083156

Mad max??? haha I hadn't thought of the tracked chipper idea that way.

I knew you'd pitch me on the lift! I do salivate over your ubiquitous tracked lift pics. It's definitely something to consider and I do have occasional jobs where there is no bucket access. Most of that stuff we climb but a lift would definitely help, especially the horrible crusty, dead ash.

I think I may go the log truck route. It would add a whole new dimension to the business as there is a lot of opportunity locally for log hauling and I can keep a guy busy all winter doing it. It may lead to buying more trucks. who knows...

Mad max??? haha I hadn't thought of the tracked chipper idea that way.

I knew you'd pitch me on the lift! I do salivate over your ubiquitous tracked lift pics. It's definitely something to consider and I do have occasional jobs where there is no bucket access. Most of that stuff we climb but a lift would definitely help, especially the horrible crusty, dead ash.

I think I may go the log truck route. It would add a whole new dimension to the business as there is a lot of opportunity locally for log hauling and I can keep a guy busy all winter doing it. It may lead to buying more trucks. who knows...

I only try and tell of my experiences, Mike. You’re a big boy, and obviously a better businessman than me. I am just a simple treeguy.:yes:

I only try and tell of my experiences, Mike. You’re a big boy, and obviously a better businessman than me. I am just a simple treeguy.:yes:
I learn a lot from you! I always appreciate any advice, recommendations, and even snarky comments. You've been at it much longer than I.

gonna take a look at this old beast tomorrow

1684372872910.png

I learn a lot from you! I always appreciate any advice, recommendations, and even snarky comments. You've been at it much longer than I.

gonna take a look at this old beast tomorrow

View attachment 1083514
Good luck with looking at the log truck. Seeing what you have done with the vermeer 1800 I have faith in your ability.

Good luck.

Speaking of log trucks. I picked this thing up for a wood working friend of mine today. I don’t know if the picks do it justice, but I’m guessing it must’ve been #9500 to 10k. I had to bring it like two inches from the side of the truck before it could lift it the last bit over and in. Pretty scary as it was right by the outrigger and I could feel it wanting to slip. Just went super slow and kept refreshing the clamp with the foot pedal (extra care to make sure I went the right way lol) Not something I wanna do again anytime soon. That awareness of doing something you know isn’t safe, but being too far in to turn back.
2B07D6B5-4FF4-4E84-B388-5080ABBFD346.jpeg84C6E9CD-4D35-4D3A-AC17-AB80325791BD.jpeg5475344F-A1AF-40AE-99D0-A4B3D15A0FB1.jpegACFFA6B1-84BC-430B-950F-F0F25D250CDE.jpeg6797AAA6-20DF-4745-AB93-0C902D91C546.jpeg

The 87-48aj that I like to rent has been rented out by some guy until the the end of summer. Yikes!

Latest posts

Back