New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 19xpc gas with a 5.7 psi, it's an unbelievable chipper. At 9,890lbs its under CDL and will put an 18xp to shame. The feed system is very impressive. Gone are the days of having a guy baby the chipper standing next to it lifting the top feed wheel.

I guess the ford 6.2 is the way to go in a 19xpc

I never thought I would go gas but I love it.

Yeah, throw a winch on and you’re probably over cdl. Lol, just take the test! Mike and like five guys got theirs in a week and a half. CDL A-team baby!! Lol

Not a normal tree day but was a great day. Only wish the new stickers were on there. Will be next week! Hope everyone is being safe! The nbt45 will be my next crane… or a knuckle boom truck (big one) with grapple saw and sell the stick crane and forestry truck and buy a high hp chip truck and if I can’t reach it I don’t need to get to it. And could still climb with the knuckle boom crane when needed. Lol
Anyone have their own knuckle boom crane? Advise? Load chart? Pros cons?
Thanks Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7297.jpeg
    IMG_7297.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7295.jpeg
    IMG_7295.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7278.jpeg
    IMG_7278.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I only run stick booms, but have some advise for both
the knuckle boom will get into tighter spots and you dont need head room for rigging (depending on setup, grapple saw etc)
also ive noticed, untill you get into big (like really big) knuckle booms, you have rather limited capacity
grapple saw is a cool idea, also not sure about short span outriggers on a K boom
for me personally, if I spend the money im getting a 45-50 ton stick boom, either an altec or national, out and down outriggers (A frame sucks, only advantage really is stiffness)
plus side to a stick boom is, assuming you have a certified operator, you can rent out the crane on days its not doing trees and make money that way too, could do so with the knuckleboom but there isnt much market in the US for that, unless you are renting out a grapple saw with it

I only run stick booms, but have some advise for both
the knuckle boom will get into tighter spots and you dont need head room for rigging (depending on setup, grapple saw etc)
also ive noticed, untill you get into big (like really big) knuckle booms, you have rather limited capacity
grapple saw is a cool idea, also not sure about short span outriggers on a K boom
for me personally, if I spend the money im getting a 45-50 ton stick boom, either an altec or national, out and down outriggers (A frame sucks, only advantage really is stiffness)
plus side to a stick boom is, assuming you have a certified operator, you can rent out the crane on days its not doing trees and make money that way too, could do so with the knuckleboom but there isnt much market in the US for that, unless you are renting out a grapple saw with it
will you be having a steady advice column on crane applications and usage in the future?

wheelbarrowed pickup
???
dude, ive been way past that for over a year, got a bucket truck, chipper, mini skid, nice shiny cummins, and a crane for free whenever I need one lol, I just have to run it, but thats fine with me, everything I do involving it is inch precision, not trees

My arborist, Jason, doing some serious limb walking.20230523_143140.jpg

Speaking of cranes I bid on a property in NY with a few nice oak removals yesterday. I've realized I cant seem to make money on crane jobs unless they are $6k plus. Can't get away without paying over 2k for a 55 ton crane. We've got a local competitor with a grapplesaw crane that's able to do drive up removals very cheaply. I doubt it has nearly the capacity of a 55 ton but he does very well. It's stunning how handy those things are under the right circumstances.

I'm no crane expert as we've probably only done 40-50 crane jobs in my lifetime. Often seems to be fairly high stress.

My arborist, Jason, doing some serious limb walking.View attachment 1085448

Speaking of cranes I bid on a property in NY with a few nice oak removals yesterday. I've realized I cant seem to make money on crane jobs unless they are $6k plus. Can't get away without paying over 2k for a 55 ton crane. We've got a local competitor with a grapplesaw crane that's able to do drive up removals very cheaply. I doubt it has nearly the capacity of a 55 ton but he does very well. It's stunning how handy those things are under the right circumstances.

I'm no crane expert as we've probably only done 40-50 crane jobs in my lifetime. Often seems to be fairly high stress.

Voice of down to earth reason as always Mike.

Not a normal tree day but was a great day. Only wish the new stickers were on there. Will be next week! Hope everyone is being safe! The nbt45 will be my next crane… or a knuckle boom truck (big one) with grapple saw and sell the stick crane and forestry truck and buy a high hp chip truck and if I can’t reach it I don’t need to get to it. And could still climb with the knuckle boom crane when needed. Lol
Thanks Joe

I have a HIAB knuckle boom on one of my trucks (3.6T in close, 700kg at full stick, which is around 12.5m with current configuration). Is around the largest knuckle boom for a two axle truck (what we call medium rigid). Has a remote, which is ridiculously useful.

Strict crane removals are rare in my region & I wouldn't say I always get a direct return on having it, but it is another very useful 'enabler' type of piece of equipment. Truck is run as a flat tray, carrying tools, equipment & moving logs. Having a versatile, quick to set up crane in your back pocket is great & opens up many options in lots of scenarios such as craning equipment into yards, mobile high point for climbers & efficient wood salvage, which is a valuable sideline.

Along with the convenience, find the ease of access is great, truck can go where most 4WD utes can, with the knuckle boom & remote, can sneak the hook in through 300mm 'holes'. As well as it's everyday use moving equipment & salvaging wood, it got some runs this week. Is handy being able to run the chipper with one hand & feed the whole tree in with crane with the other. As I said, I just love the remote. (disregard the accumulated hydraulic oil & dust on rear hoses, hose weeps are getting to me....)

In our region, the economics of running a dedicated, larger crane or wet hiring units just don't stack up, so for me this set up gives everyday convenience & significant advantages, with a reasonable outlay.

BC46ADFA-6F95-455F-80E2-385435AEC2A4.jpeg

865F8996-3CFF-48AC-A863-C798F5F9F2BC.jpeg

D791436F-BEA4-4843-B231-5F0DC1DC3DC1.jpeg

11049506-CEB8-4026-923A-D80DD85C39A8.jpeg

As Mike will attest, being able to crane the stump grinder into places is very useful.

sg-1-jpg.1085538

Attachments

• SG 1.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 107

Latest posts

Back