New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is lead volume compared to pre covid? We have a bit of a slow down but not a bad thing. We realized a lot of people were home during covid, saw things around the home that needed to be done and we worked like mad dogs for those two years and we also had a very mild winter last winter so a lot of work was done then too. no weather related slow downs. It's currently steady but not overwhelming.
i agree. Covid was definitely a good time for residential tree work.

I'd like to get at least 20-25 or so leads per week. I think I only got about a dozen last week but school just ended, the apocalyptic smoke was a distraction, and people are starting vacations.

Pending much needed rain this week, I think i'll get more volume in the next week or two. We are booked 5-6 weeks out. I'd like it to be 8-10. I'm also booking as much oak pruning as I can for Nov-Dec and plan to lay the crew off Jan-Feb aside from some random solo fruit tree pruning for coffee money.... unless i can get some kind of big ROW job to keep the crew steady.

All in all though, I'm just really grateful to have enough work. This business has taken off in a rural area far beyond my initial expectation.

My admin assistant, who is super helpful, is having a baby in late October. She's been working with us for 2 years and I haven't encountered this situation before- do you guys ever do a maternity/paternity leave for employees? I'm not sure what the standard is for pay. I was thinking of giving her basically a lump sum of what would be 4-6 weeks of full time pay- and then seeing if she wants to come back to work in the spring. Last winter, lead volume was slow and she only worked 10-20 hr a week anyway.

Pardon the stream of consciousness. It's raining today so Im near the computer. Always interested in your guys' thoughts and opinions.

I'd like to get at least 20-25 or so leads per week. I think I only got about a dozen last week but school just ended, the apocalyptic smoke was a distraction, and people are starting vacations.

Pending much needed rain this week, I think i'll get more volume in the next week or two. We are booked 5-6 weeks out. I'd like it to be 8-10. I'm also booking as much oak pruning as I can for Nov-Dec and plan to lay the crew off Jan-Feb aside from some random solo fruit tree pruning for coffee money.... unless i can get some kind of big ROW job to keep the crew steady.

All in all though, I'm just really grateful to have enough work. This business has taken off in a rural area far beyond my initial expectation.

My admin assistant, who is super helpful, is having a baby in late October. She's been working with us for 2 years and I haven't encountered this situation before- do you guys ever do a maternity/paternity leave for employees? I'm not sure what the standard is for pay. I was thinking of giving her basically a lump sum of what would be 4-6 weeks of full time pay- and then seeing if she wants to come back to work in the spring. Last winter, lead volume was slow and she only worked 10-20 hr a week anyway.

Pardon the stream of consciousness. It's raining today so Im near the computer. Always interested in your guys' thoughts and opinions.
booked 5-6 weeks out? I dare you to make plans to take a vacation 7 weeks from now! You KNOW it'll pick up!

Noticeable quietening in my part of the world, not just in the tree game.

Much less construction, earthworks etc on the go.

Getting toward the back end of work booked in, still have materials trickling out, but a decent storm or two would be good to stir some things up. Finding both private & commercial clients a lot more reluctant to spend.

Fun little removal (Eucalyptus boytroides) yesterday for some great long term clients. Pushing on into incoming weather.

Tree down & cleaned up, firewooded bole, neat pile of mulch for the gardens, stump ground & fence back up. Two people, bit over half a day, machines making it easy work. Even got a moment to stand out of one of long swaying limbs, facing straight into the wind & rolling cloud, floating above the road & powerlines, thinking "actually getting paid to do this is pretty good."

6EE2CD97-C25D-40E3-B014-31BDFB47161A.jpeg

5AB76654-A22C-4121-9A5A-9CC8594A204E.jpeg

96E374B3-49C1-418F-BE54-D1C3A71CB755.jpeg

660DEE5E-63DF-437F-BBF4-83BB96E56453.jpeg

96F042F7-5240-4D79-A5B5-F9A4C6CA8DA7.jpeg

831FC285-6C43-40BA-ADC9-04A8D255E4C5.jpeg

38576767-9225-4DA2-9330-222F846731EF.jpeg

Fruit trees & pruning an awkward leggy, spreading river gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis ssp.) today. Some nice late autumn colour in the park at the front.

Another good annual client. The type I will definitely miss moving state.

07047075-07D0-4952-A0C6-FFD98B0F7170.jpeg

A292635D-CF8A-4E0F-BF66-8CBFB828891E.jpeg

D343AFCC-D80D-49B0-B196-1368FCF90081.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your pics RK9! Always nice to see another tree dogs travels.

Hope you’re not making a mistake uprooting, seems like you have a nice thing going. You're obviously a big boy though and capable of making your own decisions! Best of luck, and I’m sure you’ll do fine wherever you go!! Cheers!!

Thanks for sharing your pics RK9! Always nice to see another tree dogs travels.

Hope you’re not making a mistake uprooting, seems like you have a nice thing going. You're obviously a big boy though and capable of making your own decisions! Best of luck, and I’m sure you’ll do fine wherever you go!! Cheers!!

Thanks MDS.

It's a big, multi-layered decision & one that has been in the dreams & plans for a long time. I guess the more established business became, the harder it has become, in some ways to make the move & has been giving me plenty of sleepless nights.

Multiple 'small' events / factors recently have been the real catalyst, particularly with my main man moving on, some bigger long term projects winding up or clients selling or passing away & a desire for a bit of a change & challenge. Certainly it will be hard work, but hopefully some opportunities await & I'm confident that can build something strong with friends over there & give my partner & beautiful young family some different experiences & a good lifestyle.

Was my right hand mans last day today & we've been to war together for the last three & half years. We're solid friends, have covered each other back through some really challenging jobs & hopefully not the last time we ride into battle together. So we were both fairly reflective, there has been tears & I'll bloody miss him, damn near irreplaceable.

I'll will also really miss a lot of my clients, they also become friends over the years & you develop that trust & understanding with them.

All that reminiscing, still have nearly 10 months of hard work to get through before can make the move anyway....

Winter has finally started, had a misbehaving tree blocking our route to the job this morning. Dealt with it quickly on a quiet rural road, has some Karen's on horseback demanding they be let through because "they would get cold waiting 10 minutes".

Guard dog sorted them out when they tried to light horse brigade through. Thought they were going to get bucked off when he gave them the 'don't argue'.

Another job for family, who love their poultry....

Flying Italian draw the long straw to climb in the 50-70km/h winds, fun ride in the young karri's, they sway a good 2-3 metres each way in the gusts. Old war machine chipper truck lets us go where we shouldn't take a heavy truck.

62A018DE-9A4A-465A-94D2-72C0F6AA8AC2.jpeg

67EB61BF-EB0B-40C7-BED2-566F835C2695.jpeg

2CEFFE4E-AB4F-40EC-8AAB-142F156F3753.jpeg

08C66AA8-4FB9-439F-996D-00CC2D40CA7E.jpeg

E27BF2BF-ED60-40EC-A597-BAE6510D2FC7.jpeg

37606E3B-9B5A-4855-8B08-37A10A43B184.jpeg

6C4609CF-E344-4CFA-A758-8880BF5F62AC.jpeg

A5465727-053C-40E2-98A2-D42482622B05.jpeg

79588C8A-6048-48E1-AFCA-1A36078164A0.jpeg

We have been working out of my normal range the second half of this week. Only about 23 miles from home base (which is far for me). Actually used to live out that way for quite a few years in my younger days. Amazing the peacefulness of working in the real country without some douchebag wannabe startup on every corner fighting for the same piece of nothingness or these ****ing New Yorkers trying to drive their cars into you. Much more beautiful and far less populated. Real money too. I can actually just enjoy working without the hate for a minute. Has been nice.

We have been working out of my normal range the second half of this week. Only about 23 miles from home base (which is far for me). Actually used to live out that way for quite a few years in my younger days. Amazing the peacefulness of working in the real country without some douchebag wannabe startup on every corner fighting for the same piece of nothingness or these ****ing New Yorkers trying to drive their cars into you. Much more beautiful and far less populated. Real money too. I can actually just enjoy working without the hate for a minute. Has been nice.

What town?.some beautiful countryside out there in Litchfield County.

Just imagine what the wannabe start ups think of you!

37 km!!

Do you camp overnight travelling that sort of gruelling distance?

Real rural work is a joy.

** Dairies & chicken farms excepted.

I’m having a 50’ “I ❤️ New Yorkers” banner made up for next years big Road Race weekend here in town. I’m gonna string it from between the omme’s behind the other start ups and their 60 foot bucket that’s been holding the Start sign up the last couple years. I figure it should be awesome for business LOL.:laugh:

If I can swing it maybe I’ll have a giant blow up mermaid with huge titties basking in the log truck..

Back