New Timberwolf in Action - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I posted a few weeks ago - I promised I'd post some pics of my new Timberwolf in action.
The small size makes it ideal to take right to the wood with my ATV, and I'm very pleased with the speed and power. That Honda power is smooth and quiet. The largest rounds split so far were about 18" in diameter and no problem. Split a full trailer load in about 1 hour working by myself.

Al :cheers:

First photo is hooked up and ready to go -
attachment.php

Attaching the wood grate -
attachment.php

Full oak round -
attachment.php

Last edited:
weld you a hitch onto the trailer

Then go to the woods like pulling pups.
That is how I do it.. We just pitch forward in to the trailer. I do not have to unhitch due to my moving wedge setup.. But it will save you a trip.
Looks like a winner to me.. and it sure beats a maul any day.

Whats the idea behind that steped wedge? Does it create more pressure to crack that round open until it hits the upper part of the wedge? I'm surprised at the size of the wedge and that it doesn't V more. It looks like it did a great job. I think the unit is really a nice setup:bowdown:

It's all in the leading angle of the wedge.

It doesn't have to flair wider - has less resistance on the wood. The wood will follow the angle of the wedge and open up more as it pushes past the wedge. By the time a 16" piece passes past the wedge it's opened up about 8-10" and then falls apart. It works super! And I think the narrow profile of the wedge makes it even more efficient. The other thing is the wedge is SHARP! Makes entry into the blocks easier. This unit is well engineered. I really like it so far. . . one more thing, the Honda GX is a gas miser!

Whats the idea behind that steped wedge? Does it create more pressure to crack that round open until it hits the upper part of the wedge? I'm surprised at the size of the wedge and that it doesn't V more. It looks like it did a great job. I think the unit is really a nice setup:bowdown:

just looking at it I have a theory of the stepped wedge...
first off the more metal at the base makes more surface area to be welded= stronger... and also it starts the split near the base of the wedge and not at the top where the forces exerted on the base of the wedge and 'I' beam would be much greater and possibly cause damage to the wedge or beam... and also to use less steel and a lighter weight beam
just a thought
But it looks like a really nice setup

I beleive the step in the wedge is a stop for a 4-way adaptor.

+1 Me too. All the splitters I've seen that are horizontal only (fixed wedge) have the thin, sharp type wedges. The models that have the wedge on the ram use the wider flare type because you'll never have a 4 way on it. IMO the wider flare split faster (less stroke) but probably pay a price in needing a bit more power.:cheers:

I'm curious about the wedge. Not the step but the fact that it has just one thickness dimension. Most are about that thick to get started and then widen out to really break open the piece.

Yes

I believe your're right about the step for the four way, but it does have an added benefit in starting the split. I'm posting these images to help illustrate how it happens. The splitter seems to split with remarkable ease. even heavily knotted rounds didn't prove difficult.

The step makes contact first at the edge of the round-
attachment.php

Full wedge contact follows -
attachment.php

Split begins to open quite rapidly-
attachment.php

I really think it has to do primarily with the angle of the wedge face - not the how thick it is. Because the wood HAS to follow the angle. So the split will open at that angle.

Thanks - Al :cheers:

Last edited:
My I & O has holes I can use for bolts--have to get a friend to fabricate a table for attachment.

Somewhere around here there's a link to a table sold on eBay. I think it's made for the Speeco/Huskee, but it might adapt to the I&O unit. The Speeco has a couple of holes, too, so I'm wondering if maybe there's some kind of standardization.

Wouldn't hurt to check, anyway.

+1 Me too. All the splitters I've seen that are horizontal only (fixed wedge) have the thin, sharp type wedges. The models that have the wedge on the ram use the wider flare type because you'll never have a 4 way on it. IMO the wider flare split faster (less stroke) but probably pay a price in needing a bit more power.:cheers:

I'm sure the wider flare would need more power. It's simply mechanics. But I can't see those narrow wedges splitting really big rounds. The big ones I see in this pic are smaller than my smallest, typically. When you're up in the 30 and 40 inch range, even a wide wedge doesn't usually split them in one stroke.

Mine will go through - it's not a question of power. But the wood on the far side of the round doesn't let go completely. It's just not spread wide enough.

I usually stick a chunk of wood in the split to hold it open, back up the ram and wedge another chunk in there to work the wedge against on the next stroke. That usually does it.

My occasional hickory will usually pop in one stroke, but not the oak, which is most of my wood. No way would it split with one of those thin wedges.

But then, I'll bet his cycle time is way less than mine! :D With the size wood he's got, that's one sweet setup.

No way . . .

There's no way I'd even lift a round larger than say 20" up on the horizontal splitter. Too D***n heavy. If they get larger than that Mr. 372 XP will split them to the appropriate size!!!

Seriously though, most of my wood is oak in the 16"-20" range at the largest - and this splitter and I are going to get along just fine handling those!

There's no way I'd even lift a round larger than say 20" up on the horizontal splitter. Too D***n heavy. If they get larger than that Mr. 372 XP will split them to the appropriate size!!!

Seriously though, most of my wood is oak in the 16"-20" range at the largest - and this splitter and I are going to get along just fine handling those!

Yeah, I do mine vertically. Some guys do big rounds with a log lift, but I can't see that being faster or easier, somehow. You still have to get it on the lift.

Believe me, if I had smaller wood readily available, I'd use it! I don't think the big stuff I get would be practical for a commercial operation. It IS heavy work, and probably slower than working with stuff like yours.

But hey, my supply is free for the hauling and almost unlimited. More than I can use, anyway, so I ain't complaining!

Enjoy that sweet looking splitter!

Back