New Timberwolf in Action - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the wider flare would need more power. It's simply mechanics. But I can't see those narrow wedges splitting really big rounds. The big ones I see in this pic are smaller than my smallest, typically. When you're up in the 30 and 40 inch range, even a wide wedge doesn't usually split them in one stroke.

Mine will go through - it's not a question of power. But the wood on the far side of the round doesn't let go completely. It's just not spread wide enough.

I usually stick a chunk of wood in the split to hold it open, back up the ram and wedge another chunk in there to work the wedge against on the next stroke. That usually does it.

My occasional hickory will usually pop in one stroke, but not the oak, which is most of my wood. No way would it split with one of those thin wedges.

But then, I'll bet his cycle time is way less than mine! :D With the size wood he's got, that's one sweet setup.

I have the same splitter...it will eat larger rounds 30+ easy I split lots of Oak. If your hitting heavy knots-crotches you'll have to muscle it, shave them down etc..and if they don't open up enough I'll do the same .. back up the ram and wedge another chunk in there to work the wedge against on the next stroke.
The beam on the TWP-1 is not too high ( compared to some I've seen). When I have big rounds I set up a "stairway" of rounds laying flat, leading up to the beam. Then I literally roll the rounds up to the beam. Mind you you're hugging the round low, laying and leaning & pushing into as you roll it up to the cradle ( think Archimedes) ...an wa la!

I tried a verical splitter once for big rounds and found it to be as much or more of a hassle...that's just me.

When I have big rounds I set up a "stairway" of rounds laying flat, leading up to the beam. Then I literally roll the rounds up to the beam. Mind you you're hugging the round low, laying and leaning & pushing into as you roll it up to the cradle ( think Archimedes) ...an wa la!
That is one nice looking splitter! As for the big rounds. Last spring I got a few loads of maple 30+ inches in diameter. I started cutting them down to size with the saw and have perfected the technique to the point I cut everything over 18" down to a manageable size easy to lift. I've found the saw is faster and easier on my back than rascling around big heavy wood.

Hate to get off subject, normally I like engineering/design/mechanics as much or more than the next guy. But....

I've never been that far north, your woods are gorgeous. I'm sure they have their own list of "nasties" you have to watch out for, but dang...absolutely gorgeous!!!

Nothing but thorns thistles and poison ivy were I'm from.:cry:

That is one nice looking splitter! As for the big rounds. Last spring I got a few loads of maple 30+ inches in diameter. I started cutting them down to size with the saw and have perfected the technique to the point I cut everything over 18" down to a manageable size easy to lift. I've found the saw is faster and easier on my back than rascling around big heavy wood.

+1 I'm definitely with you on that one. I too think the horizontal splitters just require much less handling of the wood. Especially when outfitted with some sort of out-feed table or grate.

Al :cheers:

Thanks!

I've never been that far north, your woods are gorgeous. I'm sure they have their own list of "nasties" you have to watch out for, but dang...absolutely gorgeous!!!

Nothing but thorns thistles and poison ivy were I'm from.:cry:[/QUOTE

Yeah, we have poison oak and poison ivy, and tons of ticks and mosquitos -especially in the early part of the year.
By the way our tax assessor must think it's gorgeous as well . . we have horrible property tax rates here in Wisconsin.
Anyway thanks for the nice comments - - it is really great in the fall when the maples are in full color. My wife and I are fortunate to own 240 acres, and in the fall it's like walking through a cathedral in the hardwoods.

Al :cheers:

Then go to the woods like pulling pups.
That is how I do it.. We just pitch forward in to the trailer. I do not have to unhitch due to my moving wedge setup.. But it will save you a trip.
Looks like a winner to me.. and it sure beats a maul any day.

can you get a 4 way wedge for that splitter

note

if you put a big round on the ground, grab a wedge, and start pounding it in, where do you start the wedge???

near the edge. It is easier to split the wood.

also, there is a LOT less leverage on the splitter nearer the main beam, so it is easier on it.

all around a smart idea.

Not to discredit, other thoughts, but,..(Read my previous thread ), Its not a wedge stop , Because its way,. to costly then just a simple bumper stop on the back side of the wedge. Eric

Matt,

I really appreciate your willingness to provide pics of the orientation of the manual log lift handle and your fast response to my request. Now that I see where the handle is located, I don't believe the handle would interfere with the operation of the TW-P1. So, I'm going to include it in my purchase.

Thanks again,

Bill

We use a TW5 36" and it has well over 1000 cord run over it and have not had any problems except for replacing detent springs on the auto cycle.
Definitely a well built and dependable machine.Ours has the log loader ,4 way and 6 way wedges.The nasty stuff we just take off the wedge and split it on the single.Never seen anything it wouldn't split.As far as big wood how heavy of a piece do you want to hold or handle?It hurts when a 18"by 30" piece of oak flops off onto your leg or foot.I learned a long time ago its safer to rip em down with the saw and load them on the loader and then go to town.
:givebeer:

got my log splitter cradle

bought my cradle off ebay the guy who makes it is 33flame item number 270310474248 i am totally happy with it took about 15 minutes to install three 5/16 bolts drill the holes in my i-beam bolts right up removes in about 2 seconds would recomend. cost about 85.00 with shipping.

I have the same splitter...it will eat larger rounds 30+ easy I split lots of Oak. If your hitting heavy knots-crotches you'll have to muscle it, shave them down etc..and if they don't open up enough I'll do the same .. back up the ram and wedge another chunk in there to work the wedge against on the next stroke.
The beam on the TWP-1 is not too high ( compared to some I've seen). When I have big rounds I set up a "stairway" of rounds laying flat, leading up to the beam. Then I literally roll the rounds up to the beam. Mind you you're hugging the round low, laying and leaning & pushing into as you roll it up to the cradle ( think Archimedes) ...an wa la!

I tried a verical splitter once for big rounds and found it to be as much or more of a hassle...that's just me.

Me too on the vertical part,I've never worked so hard splitting wood as I did with my bil's vertical splitter.He's been around my horizonal for years and does'nt like his vertical near as well.Before I got the loader on my tractor,for 20 years,I carried a 8-10' 2x10 with me,put 1 end on the bottom lip of the H beam and rolled stuff on the splitter.I have done some 48" rounds this way by myself no problem.I think that is the best looking wedge design I've seen and will try to use that when i start my new splitter project this winter. Scott

Well, I just bought my TW-P1 today and can't wait for its delivery on Thursday. No Timberwolf dealer in NJ had a TW-P1 except my dealer, who also happens to be the closest dealer to me. Fortunately, he had just received a shipment of Timberwolf splitters the day before Thanksgiving that he had ordered back in August.

The dealer didn't have the 4-way wedge, manual lift, or table grate, so I will add those options shortly. The dealer said that he could get those options from Timberwolf within a week. Timberwolf has the above options in stock; their problem is with meeting demand for their splitters.

The dealer was aware that no other Timberwolf dealers in NJ had any TW-P1s in stock, and he could have included a price increase charge, but he said that he would charge me for the splitter based on the price of the splitter when he placed the order back in August.

I want to thank AS members who assisted me in making the decision to purchase the TW-P1.

I like that splitter and thanks for the pics! Looks like you will get many years of good use out of it, those Honda motors are excellent for one thing and it looks like a good design!

I have an old Brave 20 ton I pull behind a pickup bed trailer when I go out. We have split a lot of wood over the years. She may go down someday I will probably be looking at a fixed wedge like this one. I think this has advantages over a ram wedge after using one for so long I can see where it should work better.

Kansas

Latest posts

Back