new to me 038 magnum II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free is always good. Nice that you got it running. Looks like it should clean up real good.
I think you will be very happy with the performance when you get finished with it. Good luck!:msp_thumbsup:

Good to see yours is a runner and you sure can't beat free. mine will be getting a piston and possibly a cylinder. Did not have time to get the cylinder off before work to check it out.

Congrats on that 038 mag II, your gonna love it. Close to the same power as a 044 just slightly heavier and will balance and feel the same too.

038 Magnum II

As one who went through two piston's and cylinders on my 038 Magnum II..... Please make sure the boot between the carburetor and the cylinder is new. Mine was not, spend alot of money on it, finally got sick and tired of it, and bought a new MS460, and I am really happy.

You got a nice saw, just trying to help you benefit from the experience of another inmate on AS.

thanks

As one who went through two piston's and cylinders on my 038 Magnum II..... Please make sure the boot between the carburetor and the cylinder is new. Mine was not, spend alot of money on it, finally got sick and tired of it, and bought a new MS460, and I am really happy.

You got a nice saw, just trying to help you benefit from the experience of another inmate on AS.

thanks corsair,saw runs,but not so well low comp.i plan on going through the whole saw anyway,thanks again for the heads up!

It looks like that is what caused mine to fail. While I was tearing it apart the hose clamp on the intake boot was just swinging around on there and the boot had slipped off some.

Boot

My saw would run fine, then run like a wailing banshee (lean I am sure now), then refuse to start. When we finally got it apart their was a long tear right along the boot clamp that was hidden unless you looked carefully for it by flexing the boot or tube. Cost lots of money to fix and taught me a good lesson, as well.

On older saws, and even newer saws with the witches brew that gasoline has become, especially in California, the boots react to the fuel mixture just like the gas lines do. Unfortunately they are not something that most of us think of nor are they easy to check. As vibration isolation causes those boots to flex, they are prone to cracking anyway with time.

I learned a lesson on those boots the hard way. Lesson learned, not to be forgotten (words to remind me).

Latest posts

Back