New to me 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I just know I want the heck outta here. I want land int the mountains with a river running through it.
That's the end game for this saw.

A friend lives in Driggs Idaho now. I went out last year and we trout fished for 2 weeks. Spectacular fishing out there and I lived in Colorado for 8 years which has some fine fishing as well. The 395xp might be a bit much for Idaho as well. I sold him a 028 super with an 18" bar for what I had in it and it has been fine for his lodgepole pine cutting duties.

A friend lives in Driggs Idaho now. I went out last year and we trout fished for 2 weeks. Spectacular fishing out there and I lived in Colorado for 8 years which has some fine fishing as well. The 395xp might be a bit much for Idaho as well. I sold him a 028 super with an 18" bar for what I had in it and it has been fine for his lodgepole pine cutting duties.

Ha! I was going to mention the Victor, and Driggs area. The drive over from Idaho Falls is fantastic with the Grand Tetons off in the distance.

Yeah, I lived in Steamboat Springs and it is beautiful their with the Zirkles and the Flattops within easy striking distance. But the Tetons are something else entirely. Everyone should see them once.

We did overnite trips on both the South Fork and in the canyon of the Teton where the dam broke as well as tributaries of both rivers and words fail me as far as how good the fishing can be but you have to work for it.

Welp... Tore the saw apart after running it sans bar and chain, and clutch cover. No oil. Shut it off and it pushed a bit out of the orifice...
So I pulled the clutch and the worm gear. The teeth look ok, but the back is all ate up.

Think this is the only issue? Or should I replace the whole pump?

Attachments

• 20151028_172617.jpg
    20151028_172617.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20151028_172611.jpg
    20151028_172611.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20151028_172650.jpg
    20151028_172650.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20151028_173916.jpg
    20151028_173916.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 23
Posted that before I saw everyone's replies, this is warmest welcome i've ever recieved joining a new forum.
Y'all are making me want to move, like, yesterday.

Looks like your missing the washer/spacer. I would get a new worm gear, spacer, and take the pump apart and give it a good cleaning and check for any more missing/damaged parts. You may also want to check the pickup tube and screen for blockage.

Jeremy

oiler.JPG

Looks like your missing the washer/spacer. I would get a new worm gear, spacer, and take the pump apart and give it a good cleaning and check for any more missing/damaged parts. You may also want to check the pickup tube and screen for blockage.

Jeremy

View attachment 456758
The washer's there, just didn't include it on the pic. Think I'll just try to find the whole pump assembly.

Ok, new gear will be here Wednesday. Anything I should do before I put it in? I plan to take the pump apart and clean it really well, then slather it all in bar oil and shove it all back in there.
Are there any special considerations I need to account for here?

If the old gear wasn't stripped it's stopped up. I've had one gear that the ears broke off of and the rest of the oil problems I've fixed on them saws is from being stopped up. Most people won't take the time to wipe the dust off before they fill up and over time they will have problems, I dump the oil out and dump some gas in and flush it out then good as new. I'm sure them oilers go out but I haven't ever seen one.

The ones I have will oil enough for a few stihls and that's not turned up.

If the old gear wasn't stripped it's stopped up. I've had one gear that the ears broke off of and the rest of the oil problems I've fixed on them saws is from being stopped up. Most people won't take the time to wipe the dust off before they fill up and over time they will have problems, I dump the oil out and dump some gas in and flush it out then good as new. I'm sure them oilers go out but I haven't ever seen one.

The ones I have will oil enough for a few stihls and that's not turned up.

Got the new worm gear in. Took the saw all apart and cleaned the ever lovin' you know what out of it. The pump and the passage in the saw itself were both plugged. Saw was plugged hard. Took a full can of carb cleaner and a few bursts of compressed air to get the blockage blown out.

Replaced the screen and oil hose while I was at it, as well.

The saw oils very well now. Like, I thought I messed up a seal and created a leak.

Thanks everyone for all the help! I now have a perfectly functional 395XP, thanks to y'alls help.

Next up, muffler mod.

Back