new to me blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampakev

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i've been running my new to me king for about a week. not realy what i expected, but im getting 12 hrs. out of it. pumps out some crazy heat 78 in my house at all times (to much) but when i turn it down to the #1 setting only getting a 180 degrese at the pipe (to cold from what i understand) 1000 at the combuster. mabye i just got to keep tinkering with it. still alot better off then the xlg dutchwest. but the dw was a good stove also. im in the prosses of making a glass door, i dont like the fact that you have to close the damper/bypass before closing the door, but i guess they know what their doing. just thought i would post a pic. kevin
attachment.php

Do me a favor.

Once you get that bad boy really cooking, feel behind the stove on your mantel. Is it warm, hot? How about the wood pictures, and of course the wall itself.

Not sure how that BK throws out the heat, just being cautious.

Looks good though.

Hey Kevin those stoves rock!!! My parents have had one since i was a little kid. We eventually moved it out of their house and up to our camp in the UP of Michigan and it still works great.

Looks Good Kev!,

What about the stove isn't what you expected? The ajustability factor? 12 hours is excellent burn and just what I'm looking for in a second stove too compliment the Glenwood. Is yours a Princess or a King model? I know that all the newer models have the glass door.
I'm pretty sure that I'll buy a Woodstock Soapstone Fireview or Classic. They are pricey at $2400 but you'd pay that same money for a top line steel or cast stove too. Everything I've read about the soapers has been good for my app. It will be a 24/7 heater for Nov-Mar. The Blaze Kings and Harmon's cost about the same and they're steel. I like the "softer' soapstone heat. My Sis in law has an older Classic (pre cat) that works like a champ. The new Cat versions are said too use 1/3'd less wood.

Last edited:
steve,i like it, when i say 12 hrs, thats when the thermomenter starts falling. yes the regulating part, but im going by what people say to keep the stove pipe at around at least 230. when i put it on#1 setting, i'll get heat from that stove (good) heat for 20 hrs and still wont need any kindlin to get another fire going, but the stove pipe is at 170-180, i'm woried about creosote build up and a chiminy fire. other than that it's great.the heat is serious. my house is very well insulated (2x6 structer) wide open floor plan. all in all, i paid $150. for the stove, and bought a new combuster $257, and some paint & gasket. not to bad. just the regulating thing. hers a pic, wide open easy to heat 24x36 and same upstairs. kevin
attachment.php

Gosh heck of a deal Kev! Hard too beat that. Good looking room too. I like the open type floor plan and have the same in my old (218 years)house. My Glenwood goes into a fieldstone and jasper stone chimney between the kitchen and dining room. (open)

I can understand the concern over the creosote although the epa type stoves (combustor's) are said too make very little of it due too the combustor burning most of it off. What type of chimney are you using? If masonry, is it direct or using a flue (stainless flex etc.) inside of the masonry? I plan too use stainless flex flue since my (3) chimney's are all brick period. Probably will do one for the Glenwood too while I'm at it. I sweep once a year and it's not too bad although the Glenwood puts off most of it's creosote around and under the oven. I scrape and clean that out every 6 weeks or so.

I think I'd probably run it for a while (month) and then check your pipe/flue and see whats up. That should give you a clue on if you're building up any or not.
attachment.php

attachment.php

steve, nice room, it remindes me of the house up in pittsfield, me. i could look at old stoves all day. i'll have to keep checking the pipe. as for the pipe, what you see in pic is the only strech of single wall, all the rest is double wall s.s. striat up. kevin

Kev,

Thanks. That fieldstone/Jasper chimney/fireplace was built in 1923. The mason scratched the date into one of the stones.

There a shop that does stove restorations near Pittsfield, Me. in Brooks, Me I believe? Another south of Elesworth. I stop everytime I go by either of them just too see what's new in the inventory or scope out any add on parts (Water tanks, drying rods, coal shaker grates etc.) There's a guy in Rhode Island not too far from you. If you ever get down near there, you need to check him out. Here's the link too his website. Paleostoveologist " and "Stove whisperer" He's got some beauties! :cheers:
http://stovehospital.com/

Last edited:
Nice

Nice pictures I wish my floor plan was that open (maybe next house). I've been wanting a BK for a while. Ive been eye-in a few older ones on craigslist pretty cheap.

steve, i have a little cottage in tiverton, ri on the south watuppa lake, that stove place is about 5 miles from the cottage, i just found out the other day. i have to go to check on the cottage mabye tues. i plan on stopping in that place. kevin

Latest posts

Back