New to me MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you replace the carb go with a WT-194
This one won't fit without converting it to a WT-394 by swapping the metering cover with your existing carb.

The Wt-426 is also a good choice which is also fully adjustable but within a smaller range making it less "touchy" to tune.

Actually, there isn't anything wrong with the WTE-x that is you likely already have except the limiter caps which can be removed and reset to match your muffler mod.

This one won't fit without converting it to a WT-394 by swapping the metering cover with your existing carb.

The Wt-426 is also a good choice which is also fully adjustable but within a smaller range making it less "touchy" to tune.

Actually, there isn't anything wrong with the WTE-x that is you likely already have except the limiter caps which can be removed and reset to match your muffler mod.
Swapping the metering cover isn't a big deal and why deal with limiter adjustments when you can have spring loaded old school adjusters. I also believe the 194 has a slightly larger bore.
The carb on the saw pictured is one of those fixed HS jet piece of chits.

Swapping the metering cover isn't a big deal and why deal with limiter adjustments when you can have spring loaded old school adjusters. I also believe the 194 has a slightly larger bore.
The carb on the saw pictured is one of those fixed HS jet piece of chits.
Yea, this is an early version with the fixed "H" jet and NOT the later WTE-xx. It needs to go.

Something tells me it is the WT-403B? which is known to exacerbate fuel pooling issues in this model.

9C1BE12D-5580-41F8-87AB-5BD961B94DDF.jpeg

Attachments

• D92D6EAC-3134-4CBA-AA0D-3FBDA64B0E7A.jpeg
    D92D6EAC-3134-4CBA-AA0D-3FBDA64B0E7A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 2C69A687-B817-45F9-86D1-2B82CC7B6510.jpeg
    2C69A687-B817-45F9-86D1-2B82CC7B6510.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 3806CD18-1AB9-4D21-9BF7-42B1B1F02E4C.jpeg
    3806CD18-1AB9-4D21-9BF7-42B1B1F02E4C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 61C1829C-AD0D-4E2F-AA21-A3B58ECA55B3.jpeg
    61C1829C-AD0D-4E2F-AA21-A3B58ECA55B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I am very interested to see how this comes out. I have my Dad's MS260 on the bench right now. Great compression, really rips at high rpm but very boggy coming off an idle. He thinks it's 15 years or so old and never had anything done to the carb. New plug, gapped correctly with great spark. I have a carb kit coming. It is the same as the op's. LA screw and one other screw- that's it. I am not very familiar with Stihl saws. It has 2 piston rings while my Husky 51 and 55 both have only one ring.

Okay so new top end on and saw fires right up. Having some carb tuning issues, and crazy chain oiling, but happy she’s doing a ton better. I may buy just buy the new upgraded carb with the H,L,LA adjustments instead of just the LA,and whatever the other is titled as. Sounds like I’m basically making my saw the pro pro version of the MS260 lol.

Okay so new top end on and saw fires right up. Having some carb tuning issues, and crazy chain oiling, but happy she’s doing a ton better. I may buy just buy the new upgraded carb with the H,L,LA adjustments instead of just the LA,and whatever the other is titled as. Sounds like I’m basically making my saw the pro pro version of the MS260 lol.

I went with this top end btw. I’m going to be doing some cutting here next week and will update on the performance. Only issue I had was the cyclone we bolt holes were a tad off making it to where I had to knock my lock torques out of the hole due to pinching.

MOFANS 44.7mm Cylinder and Piston Kit with Gaskets Fit for Compatible with Stihl 026 MS260 026PRO, Top End Rebuild Kit with Cylinder Piston Decompression Valve Needle Bearing Spark Plug 1121 020 1217

I went with this top end btw. I’m going to be doing some cutting here next week and will update on the performance. Only issue I had was the cyclone we bolt holes were a tad off making it to where I had to knock my lock torques out of the hole due to pinching.

MOFANS 44.7mm Cylinder and Piston Kit with Gaskets Fit for Compatible with Stihl 026 MS260 026PRO, Top End Rebuild Kit with Cylinder Piston Decompression Valve Needle Bearing Spark Plug 1121 020 1217
For 39 bucks I will be you that kit is pure chi com garbage.

That still sounds terrible. You either have a carb issue or an air leak. Either of those could have killed the saw the first time. BTW, hope that you flushed all of the crap out of the crankcase before you put it back together.

That still sounds terrible. You either have a carb issue or an air leak. Either of those could have killed the saw the first time. BTW, hope that you flushed all of the crap out of the crankcase before you put it back together.
Exactly. The OP will burn it down again unless the air leak is discovered.

Yeah I cleaned it. There was a ton of debris

What sort-of debris? Bearing coming apart maybe. How you looked at the PTO and flywheel side crank seals?
No shavings just like debris. I’m not sure how it got in there. Well there was a tad of shavings, but not much. Seals are good. Bearing are good. I checked all.

Exactly. The OP will burn it down again unless the air leak is discovered.
But but but you were blaming the "chi com garbage" yet now you blame an air leak "The OP will burn it down again unless the air leak is discovered", make up your mind man!!!.......

Back