New to the forum and New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ctfx3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off want to thank all you guys on here, if I hadn't found this site I would have never been able to make up my mind on a new saw. This place is filled with endless amounts of good info.

My journey to picking up a new (used but new to me ) saw has been quite the trip. I've been running a small landscaping business with my father for quite a while, 99% just basic cuts nothing major. In addition to that I've always worked with a good family friend who's got a pretty large operation landscaping business going, everything from tree work to full landscape design. Between my father and my buddy I've grown up with the idea if you buy a chainsaw you buy a stihl. Well my experience went a little different ha!

I've got a ton of wood to cut and decided I try to pick up a nice used saw (stihl) to take on the task.

-saw1- go pick up a super clean ms250 yesterday for $150. Brand new chain, saw was clean etc. get it home fires right up cu 1 log bogs and dies, won't start. Being all jacked up when I bought it I saw it had a little gas in there and figured I'd just get it home and run it, guy I bought it from seemed to know his stuff. Apparently not dumped the old gas and it was 99.9% that.... Straight gas. Luckily he gave me my $ back.

-saw2-stihl ms260 pro, 40 mins from my house for $200 drive up to pick it up and what do you know won't start. This one was at a pawn shop, didn't know that before hand it was listed on Craig's. So I asked the guy if I could give it a try he's says no he's got it.....have at it 3 pulls later rips the pull cord right out.

-saw3- so this leaves me at saw 3 he tells me how sorry he is etc etc and I believe he was genuine but trying to sell me a beat ms250 then a old really beat up 024 ( like those saws) but this thing was ugly and he wanted $200 for either of those. Said no thanks then he comes out with a mint 2010 model echo cs-600p says well I've got this but were asking $315 ill give it to you for $275. Being the stubborn a** I am I said no thanks I only got $200 to spend so ill give you $200 for it....his response take it. So in the end it killed my whole weekend to get my wood cut but I have a feeling I'll be pretty happy with my new cs-600p, especially after seeing what mastermind has done with them. Plan to do the muffler mod and tune it.

Sorry for the long first post but it was a frustrating weekend that turned out surprisingly well. Thanks agin for all the info.

6A8AFC8F-51E4-4D2E-A826-E0C1611E93C6.jpg
A9497BBC-B278-496D-9EB7-10FE6108512C.jpg

E2F815C0-C3B3-4144-8D8C-D1F32BEF4FAA.jpg

Welcome to AS!

Seems your photos didn't work so well and are no longer visible . . . may want to try again. I don't have any experience with that saw, but my uncle has been using one for a couple of years now and really likes it.

Thanks guys, chain has been tightened already, was going to mod the muffler and play with tuning last night but ended up picking up a truck full of free pallets to burn in the garage instead. And the plan is to have it mastermind as nothing stays stock in my possession, at least not for too long......if i could mod my electric toothbrush I probably would :crazy2:

Brad, that looks like some very nice spalted wood you are cutting up just for the fun of it. It would have made beautiful bowls:) Btw, nice saw!

whats done to it? What do you recommend tuning the carb to as far as screw turns? Thanks

Back