New to the site and new to wood burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw the red streak in the one piece, boxelder was my first thought. It's better than the cottonwood. Not as good as oak or locust but the price tag on it reads "burn all you can get your hands on". When you have a good supply of really dense hardwoods on hand then you can have the luxury or sorting into "burn during deep freeze" and "burn when its a little chilly" piles.

Wait just a second here. You said you were new to burning wood but you already have a decent saw and splitter, figured out that you don't like splitting elm, loving ash, eyeballing some hickory for your heating and figured out that a open fireplace eats a lot of wood. Are you sure you are a noob? Sounds like an old vet in disguise to me:msp_tongue:
All kidding aside sounds like you got some good advice before you started buying or maybe just grew up around wood burners. Welcome to the site.
Your pics are a bit to small and far away for my taste maybe someone else can help with the id's.
P.S. One little piece of advice about this site. Stay away from the chainsaw threads. Some of the guys over there will have you convinced that your 029/290 is not up to the task and you will be looking to upgrade to a 372, 7900, 361.

For difficult splitting you can get a lot of help from your chainsaw, noodling or ripping a groove that you can easily set wedge(s) into.

Terminology:
You "rip" across a cut face. Hard work for saw, which spits dust.
You "noodle" along the grain (bark face) which spits long stringy "noodles" which may clog the clutch cover. (Makes great mulch too.)

Just getting into "peak-season" wood here, but lots of pine & cherry for spring shoulder season. Never was a wood-snob. Until you get an insert, glass doors for fireplace can greatly cut down heat loss.

Charlotte, just south of Lansing

I was just in Charlotte bout a week and a half ago. Caught the freshman and JV ball game in Eaton Rapids while I was up... Good to hear there's an Oriole on AS...
Was in Bancroft at the local coffee cup a couple times for breakfast too, but didn't see beerman around anywhere...
:hmm3grin2orange:

Wait just a second here. You said you were new to burning wood but you already have a decent saw and splitter, figured out that you don't like splitting elm, loving ash, eyeballing some hickory for your heating and figured out that a open fireplace eats a lot of wood. Are you sure you are a noob? Sounds like an old vet in disguise to me:msp_tongue:
All kidding aside sounds like you got some good advice before you started buying or maybe just grew up around wood burners. Welcome to the site.
Your pics are a bit to small and far away for my taste maybe someone else can help with the id's.
P.S. One little piece of advice about this site. Stay away from the chainsaw threads. Some of the guys over there will have you convinced that your 029/290 is not up to the task and you will be looking to upgrade to a 372, 7900, 361.

Yeah sounds a little odd but I've grown up an outdoors person and have friends who burn (wood that is) so I get a few pointers. The saw I bought when I lived in California for 6 months. My brother lived up in the mountains and he had electric furnace but also a wood stove. Our plan was to cut our own wood so I bought the saw because I was rent free. I moved back to Mi. before winter set in. The splitter is a friends for now. She is moving and it will soon be mine.
I cut down a dead tree in my yard this summer and voila I met the wonderful ash tree. Thanx to the emerald ash borer there isn't an ash alive in Michigan I don't think. Lots of firewood though.
I always knew about what was good to burn like the easy ones, oak, hickory, cherry and ash but now that the leaves are down and the woods appears to be full of ash and maple when in reality it is box elder and elm I'm begining to realize my novice experience. In the end it is a great work out and if it can't be burned in the fireplace I'll save it for some great campfires next summer.
Thanx for the reply!

For difficult splitting you can get a lot of help from your chainsaw, noodling or ripping a groove that you can easily set wedge(s) into.

Terminology:
You "rip" across a cut face. Hard work for saw, which spits dust.
You "noodle" along the grain (bark face) which spits long stringy "noodles" which may clog the clutch cover. (Makes great mulch too.)

Just getting into "peak-season" wood here, but lots of pine & cherry for spring shoulder season. Never was a wood-snob. Until you get an insert, glass doors for fireplace can greatly cut down heat loss.

Please elaborate on the glass doors. I've read to keep them open while burning. Obviously close them when not. I close mine at night just before bed. Also turn off the blower. I don't want to blow cold air when the fire cools down.
I have a ton of cherry but just discovered it pops alot. not liking that in a fireplace. I really need an insert.

I was just in Charlotte bout a week and a half ago. Caught the freshman and JV ball game in Eaton Rapids while I was up... Good to hear there's an Oriole on AS...
Was in Bancroft at the local coffee cup a couple times for breakfast too, but didn't see beerman around anywhere...
:hmm3grin2orange:
WTH,you should have stopped by.

Latest posts

Back